I am building a machine to evaluate several software elements. Rightfully or wrongfully I chose fedora 15 in VirtualBox. Since then I started having several issues.
1. As it is in a virtual machine, I could not allocate much memory and therefore switched the gnome to the fallback mode. Besides, I do not need the flashy interface.
2. I enabled the desktop, to have some launchers as the gnome lacks the quick launch bar.
Worked fine initially. Part of the test I exported the machine to a different network or even in the same network but ran the Virt Box configured as NAT. Alas, so many things failed:
1. It takes a long time to boot. If I have the machine configured to log on with LDAP credentials, it never gets to the log on screen
2. The desktop never works (remember I have tweaked gnome for the file manager to handle the desktop).
3. If I log off, I could not log back in; it hangs after getting the user name and password
4. If I reboot the machine, it just hangs; I have to power the machine down and start it again.
Don't know what is with Virtual box and what with Fedora15. Again running the machine on the same network where the machine was created is fine.
I am lost. Can anyone please offer me some help?
Quick one. While I was typing the previous post ie after about 30 minutes the desktop icons started appearing and I could aboe to right click on the desktop. It seems that the gnome was trying to do something funny and has timed out or so. Could not get anything understandable from messages or dmesg. More confusions :(.
OSes, services and applications all have logs. Logging can (often) be made to log (more) verbosely if needed. Logs and configuration (defaults and changes) are good places to start troubleshooting. And BTW you haven't posted any specs. Running a guest requiring 512MB RAM for CLI only on an overloaded 1024MB RAM PIII host will not work well.
and RECOMMENDS 2 Gig as a Min. amount of ram
read the logs
Here is the configuration details:
Fedora15 (32 Bits)
Windows/Fedora14 (32 bists)
Please let me know if you need anymore details in this regard.
Can you let me know which other log files that I should start looking into?
To recap -
Guest never gets to the log in screen if network is enabled, LDAP login is enabled and the LDAP server could not be reached.
If anyone of the above is false I could get to the log on screen and log on as the local user.
Once I log on as the local user, even after enabling the filemanager to handle the desktop, using the gnome-tweak-tool, I could not get the desktop; but it eventually appears after a very long delay (typically 20 -30 mins).
Thanks for your time and suggestions. Bot of you are right. Fedora15 is energy and memory hungry. I had to keep on working around things on that. So I have given up evaluating Fedora15 for now. I am settling with Fedora14 until I get some long stretch to try it out again.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.|