LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   Favourite tiling window manager (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/favourite-tiling-window-manager-4175441676/)

sycamorex 12-16-2012 10:21 AM

Favourite tiling window manager
 
What is your favourite tiling window manager?

GazL 12-16-2012 11:09 AM

dwm but heavily modified. The defaults (especially hotkeys) are horrible.

I also like i3, but I prefer the way dwm does floating windows over that of i3.

markush 12-16-2012 11:20 AM

I'm using Xmonad now. It is a little difficult to configure because it's done in Haskell, but it's very flexible.

Markus

sycamorex 12-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazL (Post 4850440)
I also like i3, but I prefer the way dwm does floating windows over that of i3.

Thanks for voting. I have briefly tried dwm but it was a long time ago. Out of curiosity, in which way does it handle it better?

GazL 12-16-2012 12:03 PM

If I remember correctly, with i3 it treats the floating windows and tiled windows as two separate layers that you needed to swap between, in dwn you don't have two layers and can use the same keyboard hotkey to swap between windows transparently. I just found that more natural.

Also i3 didn't seem to handle shaped windows (e.g. oclock) putting a backdrop behind them which just looked wrong.

It was a while ago though and this may or may not have changed by now.

Myk267 12-16-2012 01:52 PM

i3 is really great stuff. It has never crashed on me. It's got all the important features: a bar, tray, urgency hint support, and all kinds of configuration options that I use all the time, like starting things on multiple desktops when it loads the WM. The config file is easy to use and doesn't cause the WM to crash if you type in the wrong stuff, giving you an actual error message, and certainly doesn't require you to recompile the source code each time you make changes. Oh yeah, and it's easy to install since it doesn't have any crazy dependencies.

If for some reason i3 wasn't around, I'd use XMonad as a very solid second choice.

sycamorex 12-16-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazL (Post 4850468)
If I remember correctly, with i3 it treats the floating windows and tiled windows as two separate layers that you needed to swap between, in dwn you don't have two layers and can use the same keyboard hotkey to swap between windows transparently. I just found that more natural.

Yes, you are right. i3 treats the two layers separately but you can switch focus easily with $mod+Space.

Quote:

Also i3 didn't seem to handle shaped windows (e.g. oclock) putting a backdrop behind them which just looked wrong.
Yes, it does look wrong. I don't use shaped windows though.

It's obviously a matter of personal preferences/habits.

TobiSGD 12-16-2012 06:59 PM

i3 4.4
After trying awesome, Xmonad, wmii for some time, with short looks at musca and ratpoison I found in i3 the WM that is exactly what I want from a WM.

By the way, why are only Slackers responding, are we the only ones using tiling WMs?

sycamorex 12-17-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4850635)
By the way, why are only Slackers responding, are we the only ones using tiling WMs?

That's interesting. Generally there have not been many votes so far. Mind you, the poll was created last night. According to Markus's poll at least 24 Slackers use tiling wms on a regular basis.

markush 12-17-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamorex (Post 4850738)
That's interesting. Generally there have not been many votes so far. Mind you, the poll was created last night. According to Markus's poll at least 24 Slackers use tiling wms on a regular basis.

It seems that Slackers are really somewhat different from other Linux users. Probably we do often forget that most users (not only Windowsusers) don't use the commandline as much. But a tiling WM makes sense only for those who primarily use the commandline (or have vimperator, pentadactyl etc. installed).

Markus

sycamorex 12-17-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markush (Post 4850798)
It seems that Slackers are really somewhat different from other Linux users. Probably we do often forget that most users (not only Windowsusers) don't use the commandline as much. But a tiling WM makes sense only for those who primarily use the commandline (or have vimperator, pentadactyl etc. installed).

Markus

It is probably the case, however, I know that tiling window managers are also popular among Arch and Debian users.

markush 12-17-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamorex (Post 4850845)
It is probably the case, however, I know that tiling window managers are also popular among Arch and Debian users.

Yes, Arch and Debian are similar to Slackware according to the usefulness of the commandline. But their users aren't that common here at LQ ;)

Markus

smirno 12-18-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamorex (Post 4850845)
It is probably the case, however, I know that tiling window managers are also popular among Arch and Debian users.

Indeed, they are...

sycamorex 12-18-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirno (Post 4851676)
Indeed, they are...

I remember I used Arch documentation / forum to configure AwesomeWM when I played with it on Slackware and saw lots of helpful posts where Arch users provided their configuration examples.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.