I'm making a computer for my mom and would like to create a custom desktop for her with the following content:
- Email -- not a link to her email client but an actual list of her most recent email messages, newest first, so that each can be opened directly with a single click. Ideally, this would also include a "Compose New Message" link and an input box for searching for messages.
- Bookmarks -- again, not a link to them, but a list (preferably scrollable) of individually clickable links. Ideally, these would be taggable and include an input box for filtering by tag(s)
- An input box for direct web searches. Ideally with a drop down for choosing between Google, Wikipedia, Amazon, etc.
- Clock/calendar with list of today's/upcoming appointments
- Embedded Local weather/forecast
- Embedded Facebook, Pinterest and other (e.g. CNN) news feeds
I would also like to incorporate a launcher for her commonly used apps and locations, while hiding the built-in (desktop manager's) "start" menu, panels/trays, etc.
The ultimate goal is to put *everything* she needs/uses on her desktop - one-stop shopping - while hiding everything else (which only serves to confuse her.)
I would prefer to do this using an "Active Desktop" such that the entire desktop is essentially a web page and I have full control over content and layout. Is there something I can install that will give me this capability? Alternatively, if there's something that provides a robust framework for embeddable desktop widgets (hopefully with the ability to easily create my own), that could probably work as well.
Thanks for your help, suggestions and comments!