Linux - DesktopThis forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Two PC's: System76 Bonx7 (Ubuntu 13.10 x64) <and> a clone desktop (Ubuntu 12.04 x64)
Both run Firefox v. 24.0
From both computers, in Firefox (also tried with Chrome) - I cannot connect to outlook.office365.com -which is how I check my personal email.
I have a third computer, running Linux Mint 14 KDE, and same Firefox version. This computer connects to outlook.office365.com without a problem.
All computers are right next to each other, on the same gigabit switch, behind the same hardware firewall/router appliance.
I've rebooted, double-checked security settings, DNS, name resolution, etc. I've scoured these forums and Google for ideas - nothing. This is a recent development, though I can't be sure when exactly it started.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I have a support case open with Microsoft - but they are completely uninterested in helping - they actually advised me to switch to Internet Explorer.
For the record, I can open a (Windows VM) on my Linux box and connect just fine. But I don't use Windows as my main computer - I use a variety of Linux distro's. I use Office365.com as a part of work - it sure would be nice to connect to it from Linux/Firefox.
I installed User Agent 0.7.3 - and switched to IE 8, then IE 7. Both attempts failed exactly the same way. Also, I have Chrome installed, and it fails the same way too.
There are two things that are odd about this failure:
1. It takes a VERY long time for the Firefox browser to time out and give up. At least 10+ minutes.
2. When Firefix finally times out - I don't get an HTTP error code - even when I evaluate the http headers. I get all HTTP 200's, and a message saying "Server not found".
That seems more like a system security / bug rather than something browser-specific.
I have disabled all plugins/extensions/addons and tried again - same result. This is a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.10, and all current updates applied. On my other computer it's Ubuntu 12.04 with all the updates. It fails too.
Now the Live CD's cannot connect to Office365 either. All Ubuntu-based PC's stopped connecting to Office365.com at the same time; while Linux Mint PC's and naturally Windoze PC's continue connecting just fine. All physically next to each other on same switch behind same soho router. Rebooted and power-cycled all network equipment and PC's. Fresh reinstalls of Ubuntu 13.10 x64, updates, patches etc. Nothing.
No progress on MS case; they hate Linux.
Seems to only affect Ubuntu distro's running Unity.
i can say that office365 is horrid for trying to connect using any OS outside of a MS OS. i breaks under OSx, and it breaks under Linux. Welcome to the horrid and one of the worst mistakes companies/counties/school boards are making.
Ok, so I started all over again with troubleshooting. Every time I installed any version of Ubuntu (12.x 13.x) I had the same problem - cannot connect to Office365.com. It takes 10+ minutes to timeout, then I get "Server not found". I can install Linux Mint, or Windows 7 on the same machine and then connect without a problem. I use DHCP on my home network, all clients get the same DNS servers, which are my ISP. On a hunch I tried statically assigning the DNS servers from another pair supplied by my work ISP. Bingo - connected right up. Then I statically assigned my home ISP DNS servers again - cannot connect. It appears so far, the only website affected by my ISP DNS is Office365.com. Unbelievable. So if anyone has a strange issue like this - try changing their DNS.