LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > Linux - Certification
User Name
Password
Linux - Certification This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux certification.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Tuxhub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Rhcsa - rhel6


Hi all,

I am planning for RHCSA Certification and have few question..

1. Can anybody tell me where I can find study material for the RHCSA certification online or can suggest me which book to be referred?

2. Can I refer "RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide (Exam N0-201), 6th Edition (Certification Press)" by Michael Jang guide for the preparing for RHCSA exam?

Thankyou.
 
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
zer0signal
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Cleveland
Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHEL (4,5), LFS 6.7, CentOS
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 29
I would find a book with most of these objectives in it.

El6 is new, and I dont know of any books out their yet on it.

http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhcsa/objectives/
Exam Objectives

Red Hat reserves the right to add, modify and remove objectives. Such changes will be made public in advance through revisions to this document.

RHCSA exam candidates should be able to accomplish the tasks below without assistance. These have been grouped into several categories.
Understand and Use Essential Tools

* Access a shell prompt and issue commands with correct syntax
* Use input-output redirection (>, >>, |, 2>, etc.)
* Use grep and regular expressions to analyze text
* Access remote systems using ssh and VNC
* Log in and switch users in multi-user runlevels
* Archive, compress, unpack and uncompress files using tar, star, gzip, and bzip2
* Create and edit text files
* Create, delete, copy and move files and directories
* Create hard and soft links
* List, set and change standard ugo/rwx permissions
* Locate, read and use system documentation including man, info, and files in /usr/share/doc .
[Note: Red Hat may use applications during the exam that are not included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the purpose of evaluating candidate's abilities to meet this objective.]

Operate Running Systems

* Boot, reboot, and shut down a system normally
* Boot systems into different runlevels manually
* Use single-user mode to gain access to a system
* Identify CPU/memory intensive processes, adjust process priority with renice, and kill processes
* Locate and interpret system log files
* Access a virtual machine's console
* Start and stop virtual machines
* Start, stop and check the status of network services

Configure Local Storage

* List, create, delete and set partition type for primary, extended, and logical partitions
* Create and remove physical volumes, assign physical volumes to volume groups, create and delete logical volumes
* Create and configure LUKS-encrypted partitions and logical volumes to prompt for password and mount a decrypted file system at boot
* Configure systems to mount file systems at boot by Universally Unique ID (UUID) or label
* Add new partitions, logical volumes and swap to a system non-destructively

Create and Configure File Systems

* Create, mount, unmount and use ext2, ext3 and ext4 file systems
* Mount, unmount and use LUKS-encrypted file systems
* Mount and unmount CIFS and NFS network file systems
* Configure systems to mount ext4, LUKS-encrypted and network file systems automatically
* Extend existing unencrypted ext4-formatted logical volumes
* Create and configure set-GID directories for collaboration
* Create and manage Access Control Lists (ACLs)
* Diagnose and correct file permission problems

Deploy, Configure and Maintain Systems

* Configure networking and hostname resolution statically or dynamically
* Schedule tasks using cron
* Configure systems to boot into a specific runlevel automatically
* Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux automatically using Kickstart
* Configure a physical machine to host virtual guests
* Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems as virtual guests
* Configure systems to launch virtual machines at boot
* Configure network services to start automatically at boot
* Configure a system to run a default configuration HTTP server
* Configure a system to run a default configuration FTP server
* Install and update software packages from Red Hat Network, a remote repository, or from the local filesystem
* Update the kernel package appropriately to ensure a bootable system
* Modify the system bootloader

Manage Users and Groups

* Create, delete, and modify local user accounts
* Change passwords and adjust password aging for local user accounts
* Create, delete and modify local groups and group memberships
* Configure a system to use an existing LDAP directory service for user and group information

Manage Security

* Configure firewall settings using system-config-firewall or iptables
* Set enforcing and permissive modes for SELinux
* List and identify SELinux file and process context
* Restore default file contexts
* Use boolean settings to modify system SELinux settings
* Diagnose and address routine SELinux policy violations
 
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
tommylovell
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Fedora, Redhat
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can give this advice.

Make sure you understand SELinux. It's set to enforcing. It's ok if you set it to permissive while you are doing one of the certification test exercises, but you must set it back to enforcing and your solution must work in that mode to get credit.

The test is timed and you have just two hours to complete it. Time can be a factor, especially if you are slow and deliberate and like to triple check your work... The test isn't terribly difficult, but getting it done in the time allotted may be a challenge for some. So, fast AND accurate is the key.

There is no Internet access during the test, so no Google. Just the documentation that is already on the system, or what you can install from their local YUM repository.

And finally when you go for the test, some good advice that I got from a Red Hat instructor. Look over all the exercises on the test and bang out the easy ones first, then concentrate on the more time consuming ones. They give you a number of exercises that are virtually "freebees" that only take a few minutes to do.

Good luck.
 
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Tuxhub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylovell View Post
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can give this advice.

Make sure you understand SELinux. It's set to enforcing. It's ok if you set it to permissive while you are doing one of the certification test exercises, but you must set it back to enforcing and your solution must work in that mode to get credit.

The test is timed and you have just two hours to complete it. Time can be a factor, especially if you are slow and deliberate and like to triple check your work... The test isn't terribly difficult, but getting it done in the time allotted may be a challenge for some. So, fast AND accurate is the key.

There is no Internet access during the test, so no Google. Just the documentation that is already on the system, or what you can install from their local YUM repository.

And finally when you go for the test, some good advice that I got from a Red Hat instructor. Look over all the exercises on the test and bang out the easy ones first, then concentrate on the more time consuming ones. They give you a number of exercises that are virtually "freebees" that only take a few minutes to do.

Good luck.
Thank you for your advice I appreciate it..
I am preparing for RHCE by self-learning and reading books on RHCE? Can I practice labs which are required for RHCE exam on my personal PC?
Can I use Ubuntu on my PC to practice the lab, Do i need to use Fedora?

Last edited by Tuxhub; 03-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
 
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Tuxhub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0signal View Post
I would find a book with most of these objectives in it.

El6 is new, and I dont know of any books out their yet on it.

http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhcsa/objectives/
Exam Objectives

Red Hat reserves the right to add, modify and remove objectives. Such changes will be made public in advance through revisions to this document.

RHCSA exam candidates should be able to accomplish the tasks below without assistance. These have been grouped into several categories.
Understand and Use Essential Tools

* Access a shell prompt and issue commands with correct syntax
* Use input-output redirection (>, >>, |, 2>, etc.)
* Use grep and regular expressions to analyze text
* Access remote systems using ssh and VNC
* Log in and switch users in multi-user runlevels
* Archive, compress, unpack and uncompress files using tar, star, gzip, and bzip2
* Create and edit text files
* Create, delete, copy and move files and directories
* Create hard and soft links
* List, set and change standard ugo/rwx permissions
* Locate, read and use system documentation including man, info, and files in /usr/share/doc .
[Note: Red Hat may use applications during the exam that are not included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the purpose of evaluating candidate's abilities to meet this objective.]

Operate Running Systems

* Boot, reboot, and shut down a system normally
* Boot systems into different runlevels manually
* Use single-user mode to gain access to a system
* Identify CPU/memory intensive processes, adjust process priority with renice, and kill processes
* Locate and interpret system log files
* Access a virtual machine's console
* Start and stop virtual machines
* Start, stop and check the status of network services

Configure Local Storage

* List, create, delete and set partition type for primary, extended, and logical partitions
* Create and remove physical volumes, assign physical volumes to volume groups, create and delete logical volumes
* Create and configure LUKS-encrypted partitions and logical volumes to prompt for password and mount a decrypted file system at boot
* Configure systems to mount file systems at boot by Universally Unique ID (UUID) or label
* Add new partitions, logical volumes and swap to a system non-destructively

Create and Configure File Systems

* Create, mount, unmount and use ext2, ext3 and ext4 file systems
* Mount, unmount and use LUKS-encrypted file systems
* Mount and unmount CIFS and NFS network file systems
* Configure systems to mount ext4, LUKS-encrypted and network file systems automatically
* Extend existing unencrypted ext4-formatted logical volumes
* Create and configure set-GID directories for collaboration
* Create and manage Access Control Lists (ACLs)
* Diagnose and correct file permission problems

Deploy, Configure and Maintain Systems

* Configure networking and hostname resolution statically or dynamically
* Schedule tasks using cron
* Configure systems to boot into a specific runlevel automatically
* Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux automatically using Kickstart
* Configure a physical machine to host virtual guests
* Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems as virtual guests
* Configure systems to launch virtual machines at boot
* Configure network services to start automatically at boot
* Configure a system to run a default configuration HTTP server
* Configure a system to run a default configuration FTP server
* Install and update software packages from Red Hat Network, a remote repository, or from the local filesystem
* Update the kernel package appropriately to ensure a bootable system
* Modify the system bootloader

Manage Users and Groups

* Create, delete, and modify local user accounts
* Change passwords and adjust password aging for local user accounts
* Create, delete and modify local groups and group memberships
* Configure a system to use an existing LDAP directory service for user and group information

Manage Security

* Configure firewall settings using system-config-firewall or iptables
* Set enforcing and permissive modes for SELinux
* List and identify SELinux file and process context
* Restore default file contexts
* Use boolean settings to modify system SELinux settings
* Diagnose and address routine SELinux policy violations

Thank you for your advice I appreciate it..
I am preparing for RHCE by self-learning and reading books on RHCE? Can I practice labs which are required for RHCE exam on my personal PC?
Can I use Ubuntu on my PC to practice the lab, Do i need to use Fedora?
 
Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
tommylovell
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Fedora, Redhat
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Ubuntu wouldn't be a good system to use as a learning/study tool for the RHCSA or RHCE (no LVM by default, no SELinux, Ubuntu is GRUB2 vs RHEL6 GRUB Legacy, no "system-config-*" scripts, no RPM, no YUM, and lots of other small differences). Much of what is on the test is command line oriented as many (most?) servers run at runlevel 3, not 5. And again, SELinux can be a stumbling block during the test. (I'll refrain from my anti-SELinux rant...)

CentOS 6 would be ideal but it is not out yet. That would leave Fedora 14 (RHEL6 is Fedora12 + Fedora13 + some extra stuff).

There are, to my knowledge, no practice labs available. You'd need to create your own scenarios based on the topics listed out by zer0signal and need to know that subject matter well so that you can work quickly.

Many of the topics you can do on a laptop, but for a number of them you'll need a few systems networked together. You could do that with virtualization but I'm not sure a laptop would have the horsepower. Plus you need to have a cpu that supports virtualization. Do a 'cat'/proc/cpuinfo' and look for the 'lm', 'svm' (AMD) or 'vmx' (Intel) flags. (And if you can figure out how to get virtualization working under Fedora14, let me know. I've been struggling with it for two days now...)

You are probably aware that to get an RHCE you first have to get an RHCSA. And although you can take both tests on the same day, I'd advise taking them on two separate days. 1.) you can become familiar with the test setup while taking the easier RHCSA. 2.) you'll be less fatigued taking just the RHCA by itself.

Last edited by tommylovell; 03-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.
 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Tuxhub
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylovell View Post
Ubuntu wouldn't be a good system to use as a learning/study tool for the RHCSA or RHCE (no LVM by default, no SELinux, Ubuntu is GRUB2 vs RHEL6 GRUB Legacy, no "system-config-*" scripts, no RPM, no YUM, and lots of other small differences). Much of what is on the test is command line oriented as many (most?) servers run at runlevel 3, not 5. And again, SELinux can be a stumbling block during the test. (I'll refrain from my anti-SELinux rant...)

CentOS 6 would be ideal but it is not out yet. That would leave Fedora 14 (RHEL6 is Fedora12 + Fedora13 + some extra stuff).

There are, to my knowledge, no practice labs available. You'd need to create your own scenarios based on the topics listed out by tuxhub and need to know that subject matter well so that you can work quickly.

Many of the topics you can do on a laptop, but for a number of them you'll need a few systems networked together. You could do that with virtualization but I'm not sure a laptop would have the horsepower. Plus you need to have a cpu that supports virtualization. Do a 'cat'/proc/cpuinfo' and look for the 'lm', 'svm' (AMD) or 'vmx' (Intel) flags. (And if you can figure out how to get virtualization working under Fedora14, let me know. I've been struggling with it for two days now...)

You are probably aware that to get an RHCE you first have to get an RHCSA. And although you can take both tests on the same day, I'd advise taking them on two separate days. 1.) you can become familiar with the test setup while taking the easier RHCSA. 2.) you'll be less fatigued taking just the RHCA by itself.

Thank you so much!! Well i will go on with my preparation with Fedora
And of course will let you know if i figure out how to get virtuailzation working under Fedora14..
 
Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
punitsolanki
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up rhcsa

Hi,

I am now certified as RedHat certified System Administration.i have earned RHCSA.

Punit

Last edited by punitsolanki; 05-01-2011 at 03:01 AM.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
tommylovell
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Fedora, Redhat
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
can anyone help me out with rhcsa exam questions or patten .
For starters, probably no one except Tuxhub, zer0signal and I will see your post as you tacked it onto the end of Tuxhub's post. This is generally considered bad form. Start a new thread! Tuxhub, zer0signal and I get an email that this thread has been updated, but your post does not show up in "Zero reply threads" where most people look for questions that they can answer. "View latest posts" gets far less attention.

But to answer your question, there are no questions. It is a test with 16 hands on exercises. To start with, you don't have root passwords so you must break into some of the systems (that's not one of the exercises) and you need to know how to set up YUM for a local repository. After that you can choose what exercises you want to solve. The 16 exercises are worth 300 points, presumably equally valued but no one from Red Hat will confirm that; you need 210 points to pass, so 70%, or 12 correct exercises. They are computer graded. Either something works or it doesn't.

You need to know RPM, YUM, how to create an RPM package, network configuration, iptables, LVM, iSCSI, LDAP and Kerberos, KVM, GRUB, NTP setup, system logging, Apache setup, SMTP setup, DNS setup, NFS setup, CIFS setup, FTP setup, CUPS setup, SSH, VNC setup, ACLs and SELinux.

The test is timed. There is no Internet access; no cell phones; no reference material. The only documentation you have available are READMEs, info and man pages that are on the system. SELinux is in enforcing mode and everything you configure must work with it in that mode.

Good luck with your test.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
mpr_rhel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 2
I just took and passed the RHCSA this past Friday.

To prepare, I took RHA 030: Red Hat Linux Computing Essentials and RHA 130: Red Hat Linux Core System Administration at a local community college and though those classes were for the RHCT, the coursework was extremely helpful. I was able to cover the new exam objectives using material on the web. This site was particularly useful:
http://sysadkodigo.blogspot.com/p/rhcsa.html

I just started learning how to use Linux last summer, so passing this test was a big deal for me. I found time management to be the most challenging thing. You have to work at a steady pace. Man files are great to refresh your memory about syntax for a command, but if you flat out don't know how to accomplish a task you are sunk.

I wholeheartedly recommend using Red Hat's training to prepare for this exam. Check to see if there is a Red Hat Academy partner in your area:
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/education/academy/

I used Scientific Linux 6 to practice. It is a great distribution--they seem to be more on the ball than CentOS when it comes to matching Red Hat's release cycle:
http://www.scientificlinux.org/

Good luck!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
punitsolanki
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
rhcsa

i u y

Last edited by punitsolanki; 04-13-2011 at 12:22 AM.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware®
Posts: 11,469
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525
Hi,

NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) prevents or should be controlling factor for not sharing questions.
 
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
punitsolanki
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up rhcsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) prevents or should be controlling factor for not sharing questions.
Hello,

i never asked you the question , i asked u the pattern of questions which comes ( means topic ).

Punit.
 
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware®
Posts: 11,469
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525
Hi

My statement stands!
You presented the request to the forum.
Quote:
Excerpt from LQ Rules; Do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
So technically you are requesting someone to violate a LQ Rule and Laws in general. Note the above underlined text.

RH expects you to adhere to NDA. Discussion generally should not be a problem but when asking for specifics then there's the problem. Red Hat does provide objective guidelines to help prepare. Plus you can get loads of material from Red Hat or outside vendors to prepare for exams.

Look at it in another way, continuity to the Red Hat cert to keep things valid without circumventing things. There is enough material to prepare one for any cert without asking or even suggesting someone to violate a signed agreement.

Please, do not do this again!
Enough said!
 
Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
BooDaddy
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN.
Distribution: Redhat, AIX, CentOS
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 1
I just earned my RHCSA on March 25, and the NDA is very serious. I would not want to break it.

But, I would like to give you some suggestions that wouldnt interfere with it.

First, download yourself a copy of Scientific Linux 6 and install it....a VM (My favorite is VirtualBox) is preferable since you dont have to worry about breaking it and can just restore a snapshot if it does break.

Second, go out and purchase this book:
http://amzn.to/hws02r

Read that book. Its a GREAT resource. I took the week long training course that Redhat offers through their partners, and our instructor recommended this exact book as a great study guide and desk reference. The link I posted is the latest version that includes the new RHEL6 materials. It has great lab exercises in that really prepare you for the test....DO THEM!

The test itself is all lab based. And, the materials they test you may change from month to month. So you really need to be prepared for anything. The best way to prepare would be to ask yourself "what all would I need to configure and setup on a newly installed system?"
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
about the new RHCSA exam Ahmed ezz Linux - Certification 20 05-24-2011 04:50 PM
RHCSA in RHEL6 harshaabba Linux - Certification 6 03-14-2011 10:58 AM
RHCSA Materials harshaabba Linux - Certification 1 02-23-2011 07:54 AM
Fedora ok for the RHCSA? dman777 Linux - Certification 5 01-18-2011 07:56 AM
RHCSA certificate ahmed_mohamed Linux - Certification 2 12-26-2010 06:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration