GentooThis forum is for the discussion of Gentoo Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
After a little bit of trouble, I've finally got wireless on the laptop to work, drivers, modules and firmware sorted out. 'ifconfig' can bring the interface up perfectly fine.
However, the wireless interface refuses to associate with any access point. Using wpa_supplicant to connect to my router appears at first glance to work, but running 'iwconfig wlan0' before and after shows no difference at all - it's as if I'd never done anything at all.
I've made sure I'm passing the right password through wpa_passphrase, then running the command 'wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' to attempt to connect but to no avail. I've no idea what issues wpa_supplicant may be running into because it just doesn't tell me.
Whether it's odd or not, I don't seem to have any /var/log/messages, and since all access points in these parts are WPA1/2, I can't test on an unsecured for now.
The only possibility I can see in dmesg are two lines that don't seem to give any insight into the issue either:
b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 508.1084 (2009-01-14 01:32:01)
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
That module apparently doesn't exist on my system. Will have a hunt around and see whether that's something I've missed earlier on.
Would rather use the b43 driver if I can though, it's worked before and under other distros on it, usually with better results... but if it becomes necessary, I'll have to switch over.