LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Lanix1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoish
Distribution: Slack
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0
xbox 360 and Linux, some unusual facts


Let me first start off by saying this is "NOT", I repeat "NOT" for xbox or microsoft bashers. If you don't like microsoft don't post.

I did however want to post some interesting information, and some of you that followed the SCO trials will know more of what I'm talking about. I recently found out that microsoft has put Power PC processors from IBM in the new xbox 360. This might not mean much, but I think it shows microsoft wanting to regain some credibility and clout with the company they seen as enemies.

Ironically enough, microsoft's website does not mention what kind of processor is in the new 360. However they do mention everything else about the system, the ATI video drivers, the amount of RAM and so on. The only point they mention about the processors, is that they are a custom three core processing unit. When I first read this I found it interesting that microsoft did not mention the manufacturer of the processor, now I think I know why. I guess for most people, this kind of information doesn't make any difference. But I figured it might serve as an interesting point of discussion, considering the holidays are coming up.

Please keep in mind, that if you post, it won't benefit anyone if you bash microsoft, SCO or Linux. Merry Christmas
 
Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
J_K9
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Slackware 11, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Posts: 700

Rep: Reputation: 30
Really? I'm going to check that fact up, but if it is true then that is ironically fascinating! Apple is a direct threat to Microsoft, and so Microsoft's move to PPC processors for the XBOX 360 may either be a direct challenge (as Apple has just moved off PPC) or a recognition of the ex-Apple processors' advatages.

Although I really don't get the ties between this and the SCO court trials....

Cheers,

-jk

Ps. Welcome to LQ!
 
Old 12-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
michapma
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Zürich
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 537

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K9
Although I really don't get the ties between this and the SCO court trials....
Not this directly, but which side of the trials do IBM and Microsoft stand on, respectively?
 
Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,455

Rep: Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172
There is one, and only one, absolutely definitive, and absolutely complete, web-site about the case: http://www.groklaw.com.

Whatever you want to know, it's there and it's current. Maintained by a legal clerk (not affiliated with the court)... who has found a new calling as one of the best demonstrations of just what the Internet can do for reporting.

In a word, SCO is being utterly demolished in the case, and now IBM and others are starting to go for the blood. To quote a succinct bit of their page:
Quote:
...Like SCO didn't know that. I think they should that sentence as a little hint. Their word games are not working any more, and they are like a condemned man, about to be shot, who asks for a last cigarette to get a delay of the inevitable...
They also have juicy bits like this on other topics:
Quote:
...Here's how I understand it. You know how every time there is some Microsoft FUD against Linux from an "independent" think tank, we do a little digging and it turns out they have ties to Microsoft 9 times out of 10? Well, four groups that sound a lot like that tried to intervene in the EU's antitrust trial on Microsoft's behalf, and on November 28, the court dismissed their applications and ordered them to pays everyone's costs involved in dealing with their applications, at least the ones that had applied for costs. Read on for the details. ...
 
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
foo_bar_foo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,553

Rep: Reputation: 51
that website is very very slanted and never deals with undelying legal issues but rather just looks at the proceedings from the standpoint of a sports fan rooting for one side. It makes us all look like idiots. Juvinile sarcasm and inuendo is not Legal disection or discourse.

Last edited by foo_bar_foo; 12-18-2005 at 03:18 PM.
 
Old 12-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,455

Rep: Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172
There is one, and only one, absolutely definitive, and absolutely complete, web-site about the case: http://www.groklaw.com.

Whatever you want to know, it's there and it's current. Maintained by a legal clerk (not affiliated with the court)... who has found a new calling as one of the best demonstrations of just what the Internet can do for reporting.

In a word, SCO is being utterly demolished in the case, and now IBM and others are starting to go for the blood. To quote a succinct bit of their page:
Quote:
...Like SCO didn't know that. I think they should that sentence as a little hint. Their word games are not working any more, and they are like a condemned man, about to be shot, who asks for a last cigarette to get a delay of the inevitable...
They also have juicy bits like this on other topics:
Quote:
...Here's how I understand it. You know how every time there is some Microsoft FUD against Linux from an "independent" think tank, we do a little digging and it turns out they have ties to Microsoft 9 times out of 10? Well, four groups that sound a lot like that tried to intervene in the EU's antitrust trial on Microsoft's behalf, and on November 28, the court dismissed their applications and ordered them to pays everyone's costs involved in dealing with their applications, at least the ones that had applied for costs. Read on for the details. ...
 
Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Moved: This thread is more suitable in General and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.
 
Old 12-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
jschiwal
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2001
Location: Fargo, ND
Distribution: SuSE AMD64
Posts: 15,733

Rep: Reputation: 655Reputation: 655Reputation: 655Reputation: 655Reputation: 655Reputation: 655
From what I read, the move by Apple computers was due to the inability of IBM to come up with a low power version of the latest PPC chip. Lacking this, their Power Book model was getting long in the tooth.

Last edited by jschiwal; 12-18-2005 at 04:49 PM.
 
Old 12-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
stabile007
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 15
I really don't think its related to SCO's case at all.
 
Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Lanix1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoish
Distribution: Slack
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm not too sure about how connected microsoft is to SCO, this can be hard to figure out. I'll do some research and find out what I can. This does however raise red flags, at least in my mind. I have never heard of microsoft developing anything for the PPC except for office. That's a far cry from developing an gaming system. I could understand microsoft using something from AMD far quicker than a PPC processor from IBM.

Maybe I'm a little odd in this, but there are only two things I see microsft in active competition with. The most obvious is Linux, and the other is Apple. If anyone can show some information that would show another perspective, I would openly accept it.

Now the one thing I have heard, and read, is that microsoft supported Santa Cruz Organization with funding in the trials against IBM. Now IBM currently installs and supports Linux on their server's, I know this because I talked with a senior director of IBM who confirmed it. I also believe, it would be naive to say, that microsoft does not want this.

From my perspective it does not appear to be a smart move by microsoft.
 
Old 12-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
bulliver
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Distribution: Gentoo x86_64; Gentoo PPC; FreeBSD; OS X 10.9.4
Posts: 3,760
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 77
It does seem that the xbox 360 uses PowerPC chips:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/article...ifications/p1/

Quote:
3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
sheesh... how much do these things cost? If you installed Linux on this thing you could have a screaming fast server (or desktop) at considerable savings over hardware from IBM or Sun.

Quote:
Now the one thing I have heard, and read, is that microsoft supported Santa Cruz Organization with funding in the trials against IBM. Now IBM currently installs and supports Linux on their server's, I know this because I talked with a senior director of IBM who confirmed it. I also believe, it would be naive to say, that microsoft does not want this.
Well, that's the thing with super mega corps. Money speaks louder than bad blood. With MS presumably placing orders for millions of dollars worth of these chips, I'm sure IBM would forget the past faster than you can say "ka-ching".

Last edited by bulliver; 12-21-2005 at 04:02 PM.
 
Old 12-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Lanix1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoish
Distribution: Slack
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I have heard of some people having some serious problems with these though. Many are having locked screens in the middle of games, and some have total crashes. I'm not too sure about the details, but it would be very interesting to see if Yellowdog would run on it. If these problems are a result from high clock speeds, that too can be rectified.

I first thought that these machines were junky. But your right Bulliver, a three core PPC system, clocked at 3.2Ghz is well worth the money. I believe Bestbuy was selling the intro model for 400.00. The same features as the upscale ones except for the hard drive, and maybe the memory. But it's impossible to find the processors themselves for less than 150.00, let alone in a working machine. I'll bet there will be some university students who hack it and get Linux running on it.
 
Old 12-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
bulliver
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Distribution: Gentoo x86_64; Gentoo PPC; FreeBSD; OS X 10.9.4
Posts: 3,760
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 77
I thought the lockup problem was due to the fan being on the bottom of the device, so when people put it on their floor, it isn't cooling properly. I have heard of a hack where if you stand the thing up sideways it will not overheat.
 
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
trey85stang
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,091

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanix1
Let me first start off by saying this is "NOT", I repeat "NOT" for xbox or microsoft bashers. If you don't like microsoft don't post.

I did however want to post some interesting information, and some of you that followed the SCO trials will know more of what I'm talking about. I recently found out that microsoft has put Power PC processors from IBM in the new xbox 360. This might not mean much, but I think it shows microsoft wanting to regain some credibility and clout with the company they seen as enemies.

Ironically enough, microsoft's website does not mention what kind of processor is in the new 360. However they do mention everything else about the system, the ATI video drivers, the amount of RAM and so on. The only point they mention about the processors, is that they are a custom three core processing unit. When I first read this I found it interesting that microsoft did not mention the manufacturer of the processor, now I think I know why. I guess for most people, this kind of information doesn't make any difference. But I figured it might serve as an interesting point of discussion, considering the holidays are coming up.

Please keep in mind, that if you post, it won't benefit anyone if you bash microsoft, SCO or Linux. Merry Christmas
The processor was designed jointly with ibm & microsoft. MS owns full rights to the processor, which is probably why they just say a customer processor... what does this have to do with the SCO trials
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
get the facts on linux website ? nephish General 2 12-10-2005 09:06 PM
NewsForge: The Facts Behind the "Get the Facts" Ad Campaign XavierP Linux - News 1 07-03-2005 12:20 PM
Xbox 360 stabile007 General 112 05-28-2005 10:23 PM
Get the facts! Windows vs. Linux EThitop General 22 05-12-2004 08:40 PM
Facts on Windows and Linux UltimaGuy General 13 01-08-2004 04:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration