LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
StevenO
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 45

Rep: Reputation: 15
What are the motherboards that supports Pentium M based processors?


Either in ATX or mini-ATX form.

Are there such motherboards?
 
Old 02-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
stress_junkie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.5
Posts: 3,873

Rep: Reputation: 331Reputation: 331Reputation: 331Reputation: 331
Coincidentally I was looking into this the other day. I don't know that any ATX spec. motherboard will work. The Pentium M is designed for laptops. Therefore the voltages may be different than those for ATX CPUs.

One thing that I didn't do was to look at the Intel web site to find out if a Pentium M would work with the ATX spec. motherboards. The idea of making a desktop machine with a low power CPU is interesting.

Here are the steps that I took.

Go to a price comparison web service.

Search for Pentium+M.

Find an entry for a CPU for sale. Most of the search hits will be for complete notebook computers but there are some retailers that sell the Pentium M CPU in a retail box set.

Go to the retail web sites and find the technical data / specifications.

Find the CPU socket type.

Look for motherboards that use that socket.

Here is one of the better hits.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=BA21381

You will notice that it says that the Pentium M 760 uses a socket 478 PPGA. When I looked for motherboards on the same site I found plenty, but I wasn't sure if they are exactly right for this CPU. The PPGA part of the socket type made me wonder if it was the same as the socket 478 on the ATX motherboards.

Anyway, you will notice that the price of this processor is quite high compared to 'normal' CPUs of the same horsepower. The difference in price would probably never be saved in the difference in electricity that the CPU uses, so that's where I stopped looking. This particular page says that this model of Pentium M uses 27 watts.

If you are still interested in low power CPUs I can tell you that AMD makes a high efficiency (HE) model of several of its CPUs. These CPUs use 55 watts compared to the normal processor of the same model, which use 95 watts. Once again the price of the low power CPUs is quite high compared to the price of the comparable high power CPUs. You would never save money overall by the cost of the electricity that the low power CPUs use, but you would be a good citizen of Earth by doing so.

There is one other possibility for low power CPUs. VIA is making very low power CPUs for the itx, micro itx, and nano itx motherboards. They have a 1 GHz dual core processor that uses 14 watts!! More information can be found at the VIA web site. Look for nano itx motherboards. You will eventually find their Luke processor. Or you can just look here:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/luke/


Last edited by stress_junkie; 02-10-2006 at 09:49 AM.
 
Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
mcleodnine
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2001
Location: Left Coast - Canada
Distribution: s l a c k w a r e
Posts: 2,731

Rep: Reputation: 45
AOpen makes a Pentium-M board and the folks at mini-itx.com list one of many Pentium-M boards produced by dfi-acp.com
 
Old 02-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stress_junkie
Anyway, you will notice that the price of this processor is quite high compared to 'normal' CPUs of the same horsepower. The difference in price would probably never be saved in the difference in electricity that the CPU uses, so that's where I stopped looking. This particular page says that this model of Pentium M uses 27 watts.
When comparing keep in mind that the Pentium M is not the Pentium 4 - on a per-cycle basis the Pentium M does more work than the Pentium 4, such that for the latest generation a Pentium M clocked at 1.7Ghz gives roughly the same performance as a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 for many tasks. So: Compare Pentium M models with the pricing of faster Pentium 4 processors before you make your decision. On the down side, the game you want to play on it might be optimized for the Pentium 4, and the same goes for drivers for desktop video cards. Of course that point only matters when you don't have the source to set optimization flags however you like at compile time.

Also: some desktop motherboards can accept the Pentium M; some "normal" Socket 478 motherboards offer BIOS updates which recognize the Pentium M and configure everything properly for it.
 
Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
mcleodnine
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2001
Location: Left Coast - Canada
Distribution: s l a c k w a r e
Posts: 2,731

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Also: some desktop motherboards can accept the Pentium M; some "normal" Socket 478 motherboards offer BIOS updates which recognize the Pentium M and configure everything properly for it.
Intersting indeed. Do you know of any specific models or manufacturers that offer this?
 
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
StevenO
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: Slackware 10.2
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stress_junkie
Coincidentally I was looking into this the other day. I don't know that any ATX spec. motherboard will work. The Pentium M is designed for laptops. Therefore the voltages may be different than those for ATX CPUs.

One thing that I didn't do was to look at the Intel web site to find out if a Pentium M would work with the ATX spec. motherboards. The idea of making a desktop machine with a low power CPU is interesting.

Here are the steps that I took.

Go to a price comparison web service.

Search for Pentium+M.

Find an entry for a CPU for sale. Most of the search hits will be for complete notebook computers but there are some retailers that sell the Pentium M CPU in a retail box set.

Go to the retail web sites and find the technical data / specifications.

Find the CPU socket type.

Look for motherboards that use that socket.

Here is one of the better hits.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=BA21381

You will notice that it says that the Pentium M 760 uses a socket 478 PPGA. When I looked for motherboards on the same site I found plenty, but I wasn't sure if they are exactly right for this CPU. The PPGA part of the socket type made me wonder if it was the same as the socket 478 on the ATX motherboards.

Anyway, you will notice that the price of this processor is quite high compared to 'normal' CPUs of the same horsepower. The difference in price would probably never be saved in the difference in electricity that the CPU uses, so that's where I stopped looking. This particular page says that this model of Pentium M uses 27 watts.

If you are still interested in low power CPUs I can tell you that AMD makes a high efficiency (HE) model of several of its CPUs. These CPUs use 55 watts compared to the normal processor of the same model, which use 95 watts. Once again the price of the low power CPUs is quite high compared to the price of the comparable high power CPUs. You would never save money overall by the cost of the electricity that the low power CPUs use, but you would be a good citizen of Earth by doing so.

There is one other possibility for low power CPUs. VIA is making very low power CPUs for the itx, micro itx, and nano itx motherboards. They have a 1 GHz dual core processor that uses 14 watts!! More information can be found at the VIA web site. Look for nano itx motherboards. You will eventually find their Luke processor. Or you can just look here:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/luke/

Nice! But what mobo does the "luke" cpu runs on? Has luke hit the shores yet?
 
Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleodnine
Intersting indeed. Do you know of any specific models or manufacturers that offer this?
The last time I looked into Pentium M-compatible motherboards was around the time Dothan was released. I think Asus and IWill were among the vendors who quickly released updates for support but I'm not certain if I recall correctly. Compatible desktop boards DO exist though. It's generally not worth the hassle since a Pentium 4 3.6 or any Pentium D, or ANY current Athlon for that matter, will outperform the fastest Pentium M processors currently available. I'd consider the Pentium M an alternative to "fast" Celeron processors, since when one chooses a desktop over a laptop one's goal is ultimate performance.
 
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
stress_junkie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.5
Posts: 3,873

Rep: Reputation: 331Reputation: 331Reputation: 331Reputation: 331
I just ran across this article about using Pentium M. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...over_netburst/

Those Pentium M processors sure get expensive though.

Quote:
Nice! But what mobo does the "luke" cpu runs on? Has luke hit the shores yet?
These 1 GHz low power dual core processors run on VIA's own nano-itx motherboards with hardware encryption on board. Amazing.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/

Here are some vendors for USA and Canada.

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/inde...NOLOGIES%20INC.

http://www.logicsupply.com/

Last edited by stress_junkie; 02-20-2006 at 05:36 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are P4 processors/motherboards backwards compatible? questionasker General 2 03-31-2005 06:04 PM
nVidia and Pentium-M-based notebooks jvalentin Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 09-08-2004 02:03 PM
Any Text-Based Word Processors for Linux? linguae Linux - Software 10 07-06-2004 06:21 PM
Centrino? Pentium III or Pentium 4? amphibious Linux - Hardware 3 12-13-2003 03:08 PM
Will Linux Support Amd Processors And Other Than Intel Processors? halovivek Linux - Hardware 6 09-02-2003 02:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration