LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
glimmy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 15
How do you edit your text?


This is a personal not a technical question
What is your favorite text editor?

Mine personally is joe, or if I need to make a quick one or two line text file i use cat

Last edited by glimmy; 04-02-2005 at 06:20 PM.
 
Old 04-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
gbhil
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: /dev/input/chair0
Distribution: Slackware, Gentoo, Vector, Roll-your-own-with-GNU binutils
Posts: 174

Rep: Reputation: 30
Ditto on cat for one line edits.
For plain text file editing I find myself using nano about 90% of the time, the other 10% being mcedit if I have mc running.
For code editing I use emacs, because I'm an old, stubborn idiot who won't switch to scite or kate
 
Old 04-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
bru
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: South Carolina
Distribution: Ubuntu, CentOS, BT4, Debian
Posts: 132

Rep: Reputation: 15
gedit for for code and vi for system stuff

mainly because I'm not all that good at emacs... and i use vi becuse it is the 1st one that i learned
 
Old 04-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
BajaNick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Distribution: Slack 11
Posts: 1,737

Rep: Reputation: 46
Joe
 
Old 04-03-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
jollyjoice
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo 64
Posts: 383

Rep: Reputation: 30
nano! everythime.
OOWriter for more "fancy" stuff though
 
Old 04-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
scuzzman
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Hilliard, Ohio, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Kubuntu
Posts: 1,851

Rep: Reputation: 47
I like vi for text editing. Pico for quick edits. For coding though, I use KWrite.
 
Old 04-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
markhod
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 103

Rep: Reputation: 15
I use pico for quick edits and xemacs for serious coding (I have to admit I love the tabbed viewing of the source code files)
 
Old 04-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
Megamieuwsel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2002
Location: Haarlem , the Netherlands
Distribution: VectorLinux SOHO 5.1
Posts: 465

Rep: Reputation: 35
On the CLI it's nano or mcedit , in X it's Tea.
 
Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
phil.d.g
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,192

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
for editing configuration files, or on the old command line I use either joe or pico. In X and for programming I use emacs

EDIT: PS, whats text editors got to do with water coolers

Last edited by phil.d.g; 04-04-2005 at 07:30 AM.
 
Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
microsoft/linux
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Sebec, ME, USA
Distribution: Debian Etch, Windows XP Home, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,445
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 45
Vim!!!!!!!!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mad cooler Inquisitive Alex Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 01-17-2006 02:17 PM
Notebook cooler? Linux4Dummies Linux - Hardware 4 08-23-2005 07:22 PM
Linux cooler than Windows GuidoS Linux - Newbie 5 09-30-2004 06:38 PM
CPU cooler software FireIsMyFlag Linux - Software 1 10-09-2002 12:32 PM
that's even cooler! crashmeister General 4 05-20-2002 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration