LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   "Wanna Build a ...? NASA’s About to Give Away a Mountain of Its Code" (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/wanna-build-a-nasa%92s-about-to-give-away-a-mountain-of-its-code-4175500469/)

jamison20000e 04-03-2014 12:15 PM

"Wanna Build a ...? NASA’s About to Give Away a Mountain of Its Code"
 
Cool: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/nasa-gu...mbid=social_fb
Quote:

Forty years after Apollo 11 landed on the moon, NASA open sourced the software code that ran the guidance systems on the lunar module.

By that time, the code was little more than a novelty. But in recent years, the space agency has built all sorts of other software that is still on the cutting edge. And as it turns out, like the Apollo 11 code, much of this NASA software is available for public use, meaning anyone can download it and run it and adapt it for free. You can even use it in commercial products.

But don’t take our word for it. Next Thursday, NASA will release a master list of software projects it has cooked up over the years. This is more than just stuff than runs on a personal computer. Think robots and cryogenic systems and climate simulators. There’s even code for running rocket guidance systems.

This NASA software catalog will list more than 1,000 projects, and it will show you how to actually obtain the code you want. The idea to help hackers and entrepreneurs push these ideas in new directions — and help them dream up new ideas. Some code is only available to certain people — the rocket guidance system, for instance — but if you can get it, you can use it without paying royalties or copyright fees. Within a few weeks of publishing the list, NASA says, it will also offer a searchable database of projects, and then, by next year, it will host the actual software code in its own online repository, ...
Yay NASA! :D

John VV 04-03-2014 03:11 PM

this has been up for a few years already

http://code.nasa.gov/project/

jamison20000e 04-03-2014 03:23 PM

Cool.
I've only been toying as a hobbyist with Ruby, on and off, for a few years now. No time. :(

It makes sense NASA (like opining sources) is smart and it's about to expand (at lest the free code.) :)

kooru 04-04-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison20000e (Post 5146096)
Cool..I've only been toying as a hobbyist with Ruby

Great Ruby!

jamison20000e 04-04-2014 01:44 AM

I should really make time! ;)

sundialsvcs 04-04-2014 10:27 AM

There basically wasn't any software on those systems that (supposedly ...) went to the moon. Ostensibly, they did it with slide rules.

Spect73 04-04-2014 11:35 AM

If you are really interested in Apollo Guidance Computers and their software check out:
http://agcreplica.outel.org/

John VV 04-04-2014 12:41 PM

the LEM's landing computer had " rope" program storage

and almost all of the old Apollo era NASA code is for a CRAY mainframe
and most of the shuttle code is also for a then OLD and almost ancient cray mainframe that the cape was still using .

one that kept CRASHING during a shuttle launch

now there is a ton of new and newish code .
i use a few NASA/JPL and JPL/USGS programs

there are also many many tons of ancient f77 code

and a lot of code wrote for RH3 to rh9 ( pre RHEL days )

jlinkels 04-04-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundialsvcs (Post 5146578)
There basically wasn't any software on those systems that (supposedly ...) went to the moon. Ostensibly, they did it with slide rules.

Oh yes, there was. Aldrin even carried the complete hex dump for the program on rice paper (for the weight) in case he had to re-enter the code into that computer. If you google you'll find accurate descriptions for those computers, including details like memory capacity and word size.

jlinkels

sundialsvcs 04-04-2014 02:08 PM

Ahh, yes. The rice paper story. There would have been no time to re-enter that program with switches during the very critical time any such thing would have been needed.

I think that the movie, Capricorn One, says all that there needs to be said about the Apollo project, and about how easily it could be accepted by a population that had never seen special effects before. A much-beloved and recently-assassinated President had made a promise that technologically couldn't (and, still can't) be kept, but NASA was determined to make the wish come true anyway. (And, yeah, I was there then. I watched it too.) It was a time when people wanted to believe that technology, and the US Government, could do anything, and that if you saw it on television it must be true. But even today sattelites get burned to a crisp by solar radiation and by the concentrated power of the belts which deflect that fury away from us. (All of the "space walks" that we do are inside some of those belts, as are the majority of satellites, which are "not geosynchronous" for a good reason.) Two men in a capsule with the shielding of a telephone booth, or standing on the surface of an entirely unshielded planetoid, would have been similarly fried. But we just didn't know to think about such things, then. And who knows, maybe it was a good thing to seem to make JFK's wish come true.

michaelk 04-04-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 5146644)
the LEM's landing computer had " rope" program storage

and almost all of the old Apollo era NASA code is for a CRAY mainframe
and most of the shuttle code is also for a then OLD and almost ancient cray mainframe that the cape was still using .

one that kept CRASHING during a shuttle launch

now there is a ton of new and newish code .
i use a few NASA/JPL and JPL/USGS programs

The shuttle's used an IBM AP101 avionics computer which are based upon the 360s. I'm not sure what NASA used to compile the code.

xyzone 04-04-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundialsvcs (Post 5146687)
Ahh, yes. The rice paper story. There would have been no time to re-enter that program with switches during the very critical time any such thing would have been needed.

I think that the movie, Capricorn One, says all that there needs to be said about the Apollo project, and about how easily it could be accepted by a population that had never seen special effects before. A much-beloved and recently-assassinated President had made a promise that technologically couldn't (and, still can't) be kept, but NASA was determined to make the wish come true anyway. (And, yeah, I was there then. I watched it too.) It was a time when people wanted to believe that technology, and the US Government, could do anything, and that if you saw it on television it must be true. But even today sattelites get burned to a crisp by solar radiation and by the concentrated power of the belts which deflect that fury away from us. (All of the "space walks" that we do are inside some of those belts, as are the majority of satellites, which are "not geosynchronous" for a good reason.) Two men in a capsule with the shielding of a telephone booth, or standing on the surface of an entirely unshielded planetoid, would have been similarly fried. But we just didn't know to think about such things, then. And who knows, maybe it was a good thing to seem to make JFK's wish come true.

lol

jlinkels 04-04-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundialsvcs (Post 5146687)
Ahh, yes. The rice paper story. There would have been no time to re-enter that program with switches during the very critical time any such thing would have been needed.

I think that the movie, Capricorn One, says all that there needs to be said about the Apollo project, and about how easily it could be accepted by a population that had never seen special effects before. A much-beloved and recently-assassinated President had made a promise that technologically couldn't (and, still can't) be kept, but NASA was determined to make the wish come true anyway. (And, yeah, I was there then.
<snip>
maybe it was a good thing to seem to make JFK's wish come true.

Well it was a nice era anyway. The Cold War wasn't nice, but you knew who was good and who was bad. No terrorism yet, and the muslims stayed home.

What keeps on amazing me is the unbelievable amount of research, development and production has been achieved in those years between 1961 and 1969. All those projects which were outsourced by NASA, all the specifications, procurement, testing, acceptance, trainings, whatnot and that in only 8 years time. And this was not simple product development, this was highly unknown territory. In 1961 or 1962 they only decided on the rendez-vouz model and knew they would need a capsule, an LM and a 3-men crew. So from that point on development started. In that time it took 7 years to develop a new car, and that was by a single company. Incredible to manage a project like this and have everyting fit in time and space. (Pun intended)

And I often quote JFK if someone complains something is too difficult: "We are not doing this because it is easy, we are doing this because it is hard. Because we want to demonstrate we can do better than others"

jlinkels

sundialsvcs 04-07-2014 12:43 PM

It was, indeed, an ... improbably ... amazing bit of progress, which was never matched by any other engineering team before or since.

Think about it: nothing ever went wrong for the Apollo space program, except for one mission that somehow also had a storybook ending. JFK's promise was fulfilled to the national glory-ment of all. Right on time. All on television. It was too good to be true . . .

But, sometimes a good cover-story is what the public wants, and so it is what you should be careful to give them. No one wants to think about "a right-hand man coup d'etat" occurring in America. No one wants to consider that what a young, energetic President promised the world could not actually be achieved, let alone "by 1969." No one wanted to consider that three (not just two) buildings in downtown New York were successfully demolitioned. No, these are not palatable stories to millions of people. Therefore, these are not the stories that you tell them. And, there is something to be said for that approach.

michaelk 04-07-2014 12:53 PM

Yes, something did go wrong... What About Apollo 1?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.