Originally Posted by unSpawn
So I have to ask you to present authoritative, unambiguous information as related to "TOR being pushed and promoted suggesting that something is behind them too". Thanks in advance.
Well, here are some things to consider:
1) Tor is the most popular online anonymity program.
2) Tor does not support end-to-end encryption.
3) There exist programs that are less popular than Tor, such as freenet, that do support end-to-end encryption.
4) Tor is mentioned in the news often, while I've never seen freenet or other programs mentioned at all.
5) There exist known and potentially major vulnerabilities in Tor (especially when compared to freenet):
6) The group known as "Anonymous" operates at least in part using the Tor network.
7) The group known as "Anonymous" still exists since 2003 and has not been taken down, even tho they have committed many crimes.
8) The group known as "Anonymous" has nothing to do with anonymity, and has been known to compromise anonymity in numerous cases:
and the list goes on, just search it.
9) Current media articles recommend Tor + HTTPS for anonymity.
10) HTTPS relies upon SSL certificates from the CA.
11) News of fake SSL certificates are ubiquitous:
12) Tor is a hotbed of illegal activities.
Conclusions from this:
1) Tor is the most popular and advertised, but not the best anonymity program.
2) Tor has potentially major vulnerabilities, unlike other programs like freenet.
3) The group known as "Anonymous" commits illegal activities using Tor, destroys the anonymity of Tor users, and yet manages to escape the law.
4) Tor + HTTPS is not significantly secure than Tor alone due to the ease of faking SSL certificates, especially by powerful entities.
Meta-conclusions, these are not 100% verifiable, but then what is.
1) There is great power behind Tor and the group known as "Anonymous", which explains the previous data. I accept other explanations as long as they make sense, although no one every provides them, instead they ask for "proof" and say I'm spreading FUD. Whatever, you have your opinions and I have mine.