LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Trying to watch two directory listings in the same screen, one by the side of the oth (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/trying-to-watch-two-directory-listings-in-the-same-screen-one-by-the-side-of-the-oth-4175464322/)

stf92 06-01-2013 02:22 AM

Trying to watch two directory listings in the same screen, one by the side of the oth
 
Hi: If it does not seem too lazy on my part, is there a linux utility that, like splitvt, splits the screen into two windows but not one above the other but one beside the other, i.e., two columns 40 characters wide each (assuming the screen is 80 chars wide)?

unSpawn 06-01-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf92 (Post 4963272)
Hi: If it does not seem too lazy on my part,

With all due respect that does not translate to "I have searched everywhere", does it?


Quote:

Originally Posted by stf92 (Post 4963272)
is there a linux utility that, like splitvt, splits the screen into two windows but not one above the other but one beside the other, i.e., two columns 40 characters wide each (assuming the screen is 80 chars wide)?

See tmux?

stf92 06-01-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unSpawn (Post 4963280)
With all due respect that does not translate to "I have searched everywhere", does it?

It certainly does not. Tmux? Not in my distro (slackware 14.0). Or perhaps in the distro disks /extra directoroies. Anyway I'll do a web search. Or perhaps learn to use mc (the midnight commander). Though to be able to use ls would be far better. mc does precisely what I was speaking about. It divides the screen into two columns.

273 06-01-2013 06:13 AM

I use screen for split screens. No idea whether it's included in Slackware though.

stf92 06-01-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4963366)
I use screen for split screens. No idea whether it's included in Slackware though.

It is. Can you split vertically. I mean, half the screen on the left and half on the right? The manual is dense.

273 06-01-2013 06:27 AM

Yes, you can (and I know what you mean about the manual). To do so you should enter Ctrl+a followed by the pipe symbol |. All the commands for screen begin by entering Ctrl+a.

stf92 06-01-2013 06:37 AM

I type 'screen <CR>'. Then ^A |. Nothing happens. The manual says "The standard way to create a new window is to type ^A C. But this does nothing, either. It seems I'll have to spend some days reading.

Correction: if I am running less, for example, then ^A C does give me a new screen. But all of the screens are 80x25 (the whole physical screen).

273 06-01-2013 06:42 AM

I suppose it's possible that the screen in Slackware isn't compiled with the split-screen functionality but that would be a little odd. This looks like a good quick reference:
http://aperiodic.net/screen/quick_reference

stf92 06-01-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4963378)
I suppose it's possible that the screen in Slackware isn't compiled with the split-screen functionality but that would be a little odd. This looks like a good quick reference:
http://aperiodic.net/screen/quick_reference

Thanks you very much.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.