LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 157 28.19%
Deist 18 3.23%
Theist 21 3.77%
Agnostic 119 21.36%
Atheist 242 43.45%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #1411
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Or maybe because they cannot be understood, like religion, because they are wrong and don't make sense.
Few things are easier to understand than Big Bang, so if you have any questions, why not just ask?
 
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #1412
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
I figured most would be, and have seen many that are. I think it is doublethink, at least in fields other than quantum physics. In quantum physics it's ok to be religious, because it goes hand-in-hand with it. Heck, soon they'll find the God particle ... and all will be explained, and there will be light ! Hallelujah !
 
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #1413
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
Few things are easier to understand than Big Bang, so if you have any questions, why not just ask?
Ok, well explain it to me so I can understand it. Even as a kid I thought it was BS, so try to explain it as simply as possible, assume I'm an idiot.
 
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #1414
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,686
Blog Entries: 51

Rep: Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238
First there was nothing. Then:
BANG!!!!!!!!!
...eventually there was everything.
 
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #1415
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,238

Rep: Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Ok, well explain it to me so I can understand it. Even as a kid I thought it was BS, so try to explain it as simply as possible, assume I'm an idiot.
FACT: The universe is expanding. From this fact, you know that the earlier a period in time was, the closer together the stars in the universe were. You then calculate the forces governing the universe at each point in time, based on how close together the stars were back then. Keep going back until you reach the limits of what physics can handle. You then have an idea of how the universe began.

Last edited by dugan; 05-24-2011 at 05:48 PM.
 
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #1416
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
253e54d6-2011-48a2-ad85-49af34e9fce6.jpg
 
Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #1417
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
First there was nothing. Then:
BANG!!!!!!!!!
...eventually there was everything.
Sounds familiar ... wouldn't you say ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
FACT: The universe is expanding. From this fact, you know that the earlier a period in time was, the closer together the stars in the universe were. You then calculate the forces governing the universe at each point in time, based on how close together the stars were back then. Keep going back until you reach the limits of what physics can handle. You then have an idea of how the universe began.
That is no fact, how did you get that fact ? Where is the evidence ?
 
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #1418
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
That is no fact, how did you get that fact ? Where is the evidence ?
The information you're looking for is within arm's reach - explained in multiple resources on the web, and available in libraries. Why don't you do some research yourself? It isn't that hard, plus it recommended to do your homework before asking. Search the web or go to library.
 
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #1419
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
I already did my research.
 
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #1420
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,686
Blog Entries: 51

Rep: Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238Reputation: 1238
Nobody knows for certain, but I think the Big Bang is the most likely explanation, rather than the Steady State, given the evidence that dugan mentioned. Who cares anyway? It's all irrelevant to the Here and Now.
 
Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #1421
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Smile Rapture followers given new date to look incredibly stupid

"The evangelical broadcaster who left thousands of his followers crestfallen by his failed ‘rapture’ prediction, has given them a new date on which to look like complete morons by re-scheduling Armageddon for 21st October."

http://newsthump.com/2011/05/25/rapt...edibly-stupid/

-edit

Get your "I Survived The Rapture" T-Shirt here...

Last edited by Jeebizz; 05-25-2011 at 07:22 AM.
 
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #1422
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,238

Rep: Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299Reputation: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I already did my research.
You had to ask "where's the evidence" that the universe is expanding. So no you didn't.
 
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #1423
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
You had to ask "where's the evidence" that the universe is expanding. So no you didn't.
I want you to post a link to the evidence, and then I'll disprove the evidence. I know what the evidence is, but if I post a link, I doubt people will actually click it.
 
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #1424
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Ok, well explain it to me so I can understand it. Even as a kid I thought it was BS, so try to explain it as simply as possible, assume I'm an idiot.
Observation of galaxies has revealed that all galaxies, including ours, are moving away from a central point. This is a scientifically-established fact.

Big Bang theorizes that the reason is because, at a point in time, all of those galaxies did exist at that same point in space. Such a giant concentration of mass would necessarily be incredibly unstable, collapse upon itself, and explode. We know this because we've observed stars going through the same process. The universe would have been a supernova of epic proportions.

One of the big problems with Big Bang Theory for many years was, "where are the byproducts?" An explosion generates heat, light, and gamma radiation as byproducts, they should be literally EVERYWHERE. Then we started fooling around with microwave technologies, the phenomenon of Doppler shift was discovered, and people figured out that Doppler shift would have also applied to the gamma rays... at which point they figured out they'd been looking at the gamma rays produced by the Big Bang all along, every time they turned on the TV and there was no signal. This is known as the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR, or CMB).

The discovery of the CMB confirms the Big Bang Theory.

http://library.thinkquest.org/27930/...background.htm
 
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #1425
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I want you to post a link to the evidence, and then I'll disprove the evidence. I know what the evidence is, but if I post a link, I doubt people will actually click it.
Good luck with that, since Doppler shift has proven itself time and time again in a number of technological applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration