LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 168 28.82%
Deist 18 3.09%
Theist 23 3.95%
Agnostic 120 20.58%
Atheist 254 43.57%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #4606
psnikols88
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Strange topic to find on Linux-related forum...
Anyway, I consider myself an atheist, but also tolerable to any other beliefs or religions
 
Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #4607
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,394
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
http://youtu.be/4KXidr0z1RY Dear "god" lol
 
Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #4608
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,402

Rep: Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Maybe there is posting deity aswell but just like God we discuss here, he chooses to be invisible? Ok jokes are fun bet seriously this discussion has gone too inactive. Kinda miss those believing trolls - at least they driven this mega thread forward with pretty nice argumentation even if weak but still.
My thought on the matter is just: "and lean not to your own understanding." Because, truth be told, you don't "understand" anything. You can't. You're a carbon-based being with a ~70-year lifespan and then, like they said on Hee Haw, "Pffft! You are gone!" You have no objective frame-of-reference by which to "understand" a deity. And, you never will. Deal with it.

It's fine to believe whatever you believe, and "to thine own self be true." Be true to your god/God if you have one, and be true if you don't. Follow the dictates of your own conscience; your "still, small voice" if you happen to hear one. But don't "sin against your neighbor," so to speak, by interfering with his or her prerogative to do the same. You don't have to "save" him/her, even if you are "utterly convinced" that Hellfire And Brimstone are his/her "certain fate." Neither of you are truly an authority on the matter. Just leave them alone. God/god does not require a public-relations agent. Stones, or donkeys, or the flowers in the field, presumably will preach or talk or sing if told to do so.

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 10-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
 
Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #4609
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
My thought on the matter is just: "and lean not to your own understanding." Because, truth be told, you don't "understand" anything. You can't. You're a carbon-based being with a ~70-year lifespan and then, like they said on Hee Haw, "Pffft! You are gone!" You have no objective frame-of-reference by which to "understand" a deity. And, you never will. Deal with it.{...}
Same goes for your posts. You also have no objective frame-of-reference by which to claim we will never understand "deity". It's called collected collective material to work with from all human lifespans. Deal with it.

Last edited by Arcane; 10-21-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #4610
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,402

Rep: Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Same goes for your posts. You also have no objective frame-of-reference by which to claim we will never understand "deity". It's called collected collective material to work with from all human lifespans. Deal with it.
Happy to do so! By all means, embrace your own opinions on these matters, and do so (so to speak ...) with my blessings. I will never, ever suggest that you are wrong, nor will I lay claim to be right. This is "the human condition," and a very vital aspect of it.

And in fact, I definitely cling to the notion that "if I cause my brother to stumble," I am wrong, even if I am "right." Certainly within this very-long thread, we've seen people "tearing at each other's throats" over some theological point, with not nearly enough thought (perhaps) being given to ... "what is my being so argumentative, doing to the person with whom I am speaking?" "Mere words" can cut like a most-wicked dagger, and maybe "he'll never let you hear him scream." You (impersonal "you" ...) might never get to know just what you have done. Mentioning no specific persons nor examples, and implying none whatsoever, I wince at some of the things I have "overheard."

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 10-21-2013 at 07:05 PM.
 
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #4611
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Happy to do so! By all means, embrace your own opinions on these matters, and do so (so to speak ...) with my blessings. I will never, ever suggest that you are wrong, nor will I lay claim to be right. This is "the human condition," and a very vital aspect of it.{...}
Good! Cause knowledge is power and we are approaching age where even God question might be answered..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9WEwYBPVXc
 
Old 10-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #4612
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,402

Rep: Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Good! Cause knowledge is power and we are approaching age where even God question might be answered..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9WEwYBPVXc
Well, that is certainly a very thought-provoking YouTube clip. Thanks for sharing.

Still, I am of the feeling that "religion" is actually more than just, as this speaker suggests, "something that is imposed upon others (by conquerors)." Likewise, I'm not sure that I share his conclusion about "an image of <<god>> that looks like you."

... but I don't "judge what he is saying, and find it wanting." Not at all.

"Religion," at least insofar as "spirituality," is certainly a part of the Human Condition. We all quickly realize that we are an impossibly-tiny, impossibly-brief part of an impossibly-vast and unknowable we-dont-know-what hell-we-cant-even-guess. (And we don't like that!) Even though religion has unquestionably been used as a tool of, and by, "conquerors," I think that they've been making malicious use of something that has always been with us.

And ... y'know ... "a still small voice" has always been with me, since my youngest days, and sometimes it does indeed(!) seem to cry out in some form of recognition that I do not begin to understand: "Abba!" ("Father!") I can't explain it. But, I also can't deny it. And, I really don't want to try.

I actually find it very comforting to think that there is a reality far beyond my/our hope of comprehension, and that, nevertheless, it is not "impossibly out-of-reach," but rather, "close at hand."

Nope. I'm no longer being "rational" here. Sometimes, the rational part of me simply gives-way to the part of me that simply wants to be a part of something ... something that is impossibly-bigger than me ... something that I could never explain. Something that will never ask me to explain it. Something that will never demand that I submit to anyone-else's interpretation of just what it is.

Sometimes, I just desperately want to go out, "in the cool of the evening, at the close of the day ..." And, "be there, with my Friend."

(To many of you, "thirty years from now" means, say, "forty-five." To me, however, it means: "not here.")

Last edited by sundialsvcs; 10-25-2013 at 03:51 PM.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #4613
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,394
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
Not generally speaking but as a know it all for the lulz, we are floating spores nothing more; "spirituality," is certainly not part of my Human Condition (f#!k religions devils I'm good because it's right(.)) but a stepping stone for humanity like Zeus and war!

Edit: If a system is so flawed that it allows slavery and relies simply upon ignorance of youth, like indeed humanity, then it’s days are numbered as it is wrong; period! (New-new-new-new-testament to there is no answer for everything) Should you have kids before it’s thought out of course not, should you have seven!?.

Last edited by jamison20000e; 10-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.
 
Old 10-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #4614
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Well, that is certainly a very thought-provoking YouTube clip. Thanks for sharing.{...}
Liked that? Here is more. -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AhibqA4G4A <- Also read comments below - interesting stuff..
 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #4615
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
{...}God/god does not require a public-relations agent. Stones, or donkeys, or the flowers in the field, presumably will preach or talk or sing if told to do so.
Due to recent events we are not done. You seem to claim you understand God's plan. In that case can you please comment on this tragic event?:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...maxima+tragedy
What did these people(~60 died from roof collapse including saviours) do to get such disgusting death and so on? Seriously..i'm starting to believe that if your God exists - either he is lazy, powerless or prefers evil. In which case it contradicts statement he is holy...and also supports movement of not worshiping it because it really makes no difference if people pray or not because they will die and suffer anyway!
 
Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #4616
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,402

Rep: Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Due to recent events we are not done. You seem to claim you understand God's plan. In that case can you please comment on this tragic event?:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...maxima+tragedy
What did these people(~60 died from roof collapse including saviours) do to get such disgusting death and so on? Seriously..i'm starting to believe that if your God exists - either he is lazy, powerless or prefers evil. In which case it contradicts statement he is holy...and also supports movement of not worshiping it because it really makes no difference if people pray or not because they will die and suffer anyway!
No, I don't claim to understand anything of the sort ... and, I never will.

I have no idea why these things happen. I'm not even going to speculate, let alone to judge.

You've got exactly the same 'access (if any) to deities' that I do ... why don't you ask him? I mean that perfectly seriously.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #4617
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,394
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
The fact is(!) gods don't exist and (just) (lost my train of thought!?.)

No Edit : (4onceish) good enough!
 
Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #4618
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,601
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
The fact is(!) gods don't exist
Prove that claim and collect your nobel price.
 
Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #4619
Zyblin
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Distribution: Fedora 20 Jam-KDE Spin (32bit-PAE) and Debian/KDE Testing (64bit)
Posts: 131

Rep: Reputation: 13
I refuse to get involved in a debate/discussion like this. I do find the poll very interesting though. I am glad to see I am not the only one here at LQ that believes in the same thing I believe in.

Last edited by Zyblin; 11-25-2013 at 04:59 AM.
 
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #4620
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,394
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
If only I hadn't lost my train of thought...

I don't really need to prove it tho if the thread is read should be "commonsense" therein lies the problem; K1 for everyone!

You don't think believing in ghosts is silly?

Last edited by jamison20000e; 11-25-2013 at 06:04 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration