LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 167 28.89%
Deist 18 3.11%
Theist 23 3.98%
Agnostic 120 20.76%
Atheist 250 43.25%
Voters: 578. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #4501
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I don't believe in "death". I think it is just something priests came up with to scare people into becoming religious.{...}
Well death is real even if you move on to new life you still need to kill previous but if there is something you said properly it is that those priests pay way too much effort in afterlife and not current life. What is the point of that afterlife if you don't care even in this life? You will just whine and be same in afterlife too and hope for after-afterlife there..cycle repeats. Why not simply live this life and then when it will eventually be "time to die" then see what happens without regrets[like we have choice in that matter anyway LOL]?
Quote:
You only live once but if you do it right once is enough!
 
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #4502
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,582
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
1) Which humans "have no hope," as you say? Doubtless there are masses not having taken hold of hope. But every human has a chance at life, especially eternal life. I guess the real question is what are you doing now to impart hope to all those "hopeless" ones--materially (which happens to be my favorite part) and immaterially?
People that believe we are living in a deterministic universe. In such a belief system hope has no value at all.

Quote:
2) What did I say? Did I say, "As long as we all meet with death, there is no human hope?" No. That's what you heard. If by choice, then you've betrayed your dishonesty. What I said was, "As long as none triumph over death," there is no human hope.
Both statements are logically the same. As long as no one triumphs over death we all meet the death at the end of our lifes. But despite that, you actually have said both and you have connected them with an "and" statement, as you can see in your quote of yourself, you have made both statements and now saying that they have to be interpreted differently or that I have not heard what you said when you yourself gives the evidence that this is not the case is actually dishonesty from your side, not from mine.
Quote:
Perhaps your treatment doesn't betray your dishonesty--but certainly your lack of care with regard to these few words.
Excuse me, but you must be kidding. I just showed how you aren't even able to get your owns arguments right, how you dishonestly claim that I did by intention hear something different than you have said it, while you yourself deliver the evidence with quoting yourself that exactly this was not the case.
Quote:
But if you've handled my few words--which make eternal claims--without care, how could you have ever handled the 66 chapters of the Bible with due care? For that, yes you are to blame.
1. Under which authority are you able to make eternal claims?
2. With the evidence that you have just brought up, showing that you are not able to get your own words right, that you did not speak your words with care but accuse others of dishonesty, who are you to blame other people?
Quote:
As educated as you are--in fact, Tobi, you haven't treated the Bible as fairly as you should have, in light of the claims contained within it, and in light of the extent of your liberal education.
You know nothing about my education, how I have treated the words of the bible or anything else about me. Yet your claims about me and about my dishonesty, the dishonesty that you yourself have proven to come from your side, not mine, show nothing but arrogance.
I leave the discussion here, once again I forgot that with a certain kind of people there can't be a rational discussion and once again I was reminded of that.

Last edited by TobiSGD; 08-18-2013 at 02:55 PM.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #4503
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Both statements are logically the same. As long as no one triumphs over death we all meet the death at the end of our lifes. But despite that, you actually have said both and you have connected them with an "and" statement, as you can see in your quote of yourself, you have made both statements and now saying that they have to be interpreted differently or that I have not heard what you said when you yourself gives the evidence that this is not the case is actually dishonesty from your side, not from mine.
For the record, despite Tobi's departure, the two statements are not the same, and are not to be interpreted differently, but as a single statement. That is, I am implying that there is one who triumphs over death, and only in him will any human triumph over death and lay hold of eternal hope--his name is Jesus.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #4504
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,488

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
For the record, despite Tobi's departure, the two statements are not the same, and are not to be interpreted differently, but as a single statement. That is, I am implying that there is one who triumphs over death, and only in him will any human triumph over death and lay hold of eternal hope--his name is Jesus.
Sorry, TobiGSD is correct, you're not. You have now changed what was said, then are trying to apply it to what was said earlier. You cannot be talked with rationally, and this (again) proves it.

And when you make statements about "your liberal education", it again shows your obvious LACK of education. This has ZERO to do with a diploma, either...I've met several people with masters degrees who are morons, and some brilliant folks who never even WENT to college. You cannot consider yourself to be truly educated, if you dismiss huge groups of people because they don't think like YOU.

You've almost come right out and said before that things you don't like are done by 'skeptics'...but when it's convenient for you, they're 'scholars' who use 'mountainous debate' to get to YOUR conclusion. Please, don't bother to try to split hairs and deny it...evidence of your bigotry, irrationality, and close-mindedness abounds in the MANY threads you've posted. Myself and many others have pointed it out to you, but you won't see/admit it.

Last edited by TB0ne; 08-18-2013 at 03:31 PM.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #4505
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Myself and many others have pointed it out to you, but you won't see/admit it.
A dozen, at most two dozen participate with me vocally--the outspoken ones. I think the timid ones are afraid of the one or two dozen. If you've observed the number of folks who have read my threads they quite outnumber the several who actually reply. And if you answer famously, "that's because your threads are without substance," then my friend, consider those who addict themselves to reply, including you.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #4506
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,488

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
A dozen, at most two dozen participate with me vocally--the outspoken ones. I think the timid ones are afraid of the one or two dozen.
Nope...YOU are the only one who is deluded into thinking people 'fear' talking to you (or talking at all). And this is a great example of your troll-like behavior....it's not YOU people don't want to talk to...it's the OTHERS who 'make' them quiet, right???? To keep you from doing the 'good work'??? To 'censor' you?? Lather, rinse, repeat...same story from everyone like you, ever. Unless it's YOUR point of view, it should be shut down. Prayer in schools??? You bet!!! Wait...you mean that kids from OTHER religions get to pray too?? Why, that's not right! I don't want my kids 'exposed' to that!!
Your way = right. Others = wrong.
Quote:
If you've observed the number of folks who have read my threads they quite outnumber the several who actually reply. And if you answer famously, "that's because your threads are without substance," then my friend, consider those who addict themselves to reply, including you.
One thing I am not (and don't WANT to be), is your friend, be VERY CLEAR ABOUT THAT. The number of folks also include Google bots for the topics, and those who are just browsing to get a laugh, and those are cumulative, this being not only an old thread, but one with lots of posts. Again, don't delude yourself into thinking you're 'striking a blow' for the 'fine christians' who won't say anything. Don't think you're some 'brave champion speaking out'...you're not. You're an ADMITTED TROLL.

I reply to join others, in the hopes of rational discourse. That is impossible with you...silence is assent, and I'm not going to let someone like you clutter up this board with your crap, and go unchallenged. This community is what it is, because the members actually CARE about the content. You have NOT added to the site, but detracted from it. You've been here for YEARS, contributed nothing, and have caused many people to get into arguments for no reason, other than because YOU want to spout off.

This isn't the site for your posts; go to a religion site. And why are you not out 'witnessing' to others in the real world? Too afraid?

Last edited by TB0ne; 08-18-2013 at 04:50 PM.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #4507
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Nope...YOU are the only one who is deluded into thinking people 'fear' talking to you (or talking at all). And this is a great example of your troll-like behavior....it's not YOU people don't want to talk to...it's the OTHERS who 'make' them quiet, right???? To keep you from doing the 'good work'??? To 'censor' you?? Lather, rinse, repeat...same story from everyone like you, ever. Unless it's YOUR point of view, it should be shut down. Prayer in schools??? You bet!!! Wait...you mean that kids from OTHER religions get to pray too?? Why, that's not right! I don't want my kids 'exposed' to that!!
Your way = right. Others = wrong.

One thing I am not (and don't WANT to be), is your friend, be VERY CLEAR ABOUT THAT. The number of folks also include Google bots for the topics, and those who are just browsing to get a laugh, and those are cumulative, this being not only an old thread, but one with lots of posts. Again, don't delude yourself into thinking you're 'striking a blow' for the 'fine christians' who won't say anything. Don't think you're some 'brave champion speaking out'...you're not. You're an ADMITTED TROLL.

I reply to join others, in the hopes of rational discourse. That is impossible with you...silence is assent, and I'm not going to let someone like you clutter up this board with your crap, and go unchallenged. This community is what it is, because the members actually CARE about the content. You have NOT added to the site, but detracted from it. You've been here for YEARS, contributed nothing, and have caused many people to get into arguments for no reason, other than because YOU want to spout off.

This isn't the site for your posts; go to a religion site. And why are you not out 'witnessing' to others in the real world? Too afraid?
A tad hostile, would you say?
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #4508
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
I pause to wonder, are the moderators debating, "should we ban the 'troll,' before he derails the mega-thread? Perhaps he'll leave." Story of the ages. No fear, I will be migrating shortly.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #4509
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,446

Rep: Reputation: 829Reputation: 829Reputation: 829Reputation: 829Reputation: 829Reputation: 829Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
If you've observed the number of folks who have read my threads they quite outnumber the several who actually reply.
That's the case for every thread.

Quote:
And if you answer famously, "that's because your threads are without substance," then my friend, consider those who addict themselves to reply, including you.
You do make actual human replies, but often your thread starting posts are sort of "canned" sermons that don't say anything (except "Jesus", of course). I get the impression that they are copy-pasted from somewhere else. Is it like a competition your church runs, or something?
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #4510
suicidaleggroll
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS
Posts: 2,749

Rep: Reputation: 977Reputation: 977Reputation: 977Reputation: 977Reputation: 977Reputation: 977Reputation: 977Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
No fear, I will be migrating shortly.
Glad to hear. Your ignorant bigotry for people who do not abide to your religion/conviction has bothered myself and I'm sure many others here for some time. I know and am friends with many Christians. I understand their point of view (and if you review my previous posts in this thread) am very familiar with traditional Christian beliefs. I have no problem with people believing what they choose to believe, however people who feel they are speaking with the voice of God and use that voice to belittle those who have any opposing viewpoints, bother me greatly.

You do not know God, you do not have the authority to speak for him. You do not understand, nor can you comprehend opposing viewpoints. You have shown this to be clearly visible through your "arguments" here. You are a small person trying to increase his own perception of himself by belittling those around him. If Jesus were alive today, he would be embarrassed by people like you using is name to improve your own opinion of yourself.

Good luck in life.
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #4511
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,488

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
A tad hostile, would you say?
No...just direct. And why do you not respond to what folks say, rather than trying to change the subject, or ignore it??

Typical troll behavior....
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #4512
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,488

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
I pause to wonder, are the moderators debating, "should we ban the 'troll,' before he derails the mega-thread? Perhaps he'll leave." Story of the ages.
No, no one gives you much thought at all, honestly. No one fears you, what you think, believe,etc. You're just irritating. And you have an amazingly inflated ego, if you think it's the 'story of the ages....
Quote:
No fear, I will be migrating shortly.
Good. Going to share your 'true intentions ', as you said, before you go?

And given your grasp of 'truth, I'm sure you'll be back soon, if you even leave. You'll be banned at most other forums after your first sermon...
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #4513
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 13 , Various Puppys (MacPup,Slack0),MX-14
Posts: 2,575
Blog Entries: 16

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
Quote:
If you've observed the number of folks who have read my threads they quite outnumber the several who actually reply
Arguing with religious zealouts is like telling a drunk driver he can't drive or another example, arguing with a fence post.

Insanity comes is many forms. Religious Zealotry is one in my simpleton opinion. Very dangerous state of mind also, as intolerance
of other lifestyles hurt humanity more than helps humanity. For every good work done. A destructive work is done also by another
"saved member/chosen one/saved/what ever fill in the blank. All has their own charter,bylaws,set of rules. All made by men.

Gay soldiers deserve to die. Infidels deserve to die. Women deserve to die if a man is disrespected.
Nobody is ever right.
Nobody is ever wrong.

Co-existence is very hard. But survival requires it. So Religion divides co-existence into me vs them.

The Universe is a very cold place and is not fair. SO.
No, you are not better or more special than any other living thing in the Universe.

Just kill off all the bees and see how special and important you are to the grand scheme of things.

Posted by a guy with a GED.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #4514
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Arguing with religious zealouts is like telling a drunk driver he can't drive or another example, arguing with a fence post.

Insanity comes is many forms. Religious Zealotry is one in my simpleton opinion. Very dangerous state of mind also, as intolerance
of other lifestyles hurt humanity more than helps humanity. For every good work done. A destructive work is done also by another
"saved member/chosen one/saved/what ever fill in the blank. All has their own charter,bylaws,set of rules. All made by men.

Gay soldiers deserve to die. Infidels deserve to die. Women deserve to die if a man is disrespected.
Nobody is ever right.
Nobody is ever wrong.

Co-existence is very hard. But survival requires it. So Religion divides co-existence into me vs them.

The Universe is a very cold place and is not fair. SO.
No, you are not better or more special than any other living thing in the Universe.

Just kill off all the bees and see how special and important you are to the grand scheme of things.

Posted by a guy with a GED.
No doubt every human is his neighbor's equal. But we all meet with death, and then judgment. It is not for me to judge you, or anybody else. But I'd best judge what you say and every point of view and every behavior and lifestyle according to the testimony of God's people.
 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #4515
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaleggroll View Post
{...}If Jesus were alive today, he would be embarrassed by people like you using is name to improve your own opinion of yourself.{...}
Yea about that JC - i really wanna know what makes that person so special that everyone is looking for him((hunting)) and trying to brainwash everyone! Mohamad(probably misspelled sorry) from Quran was also similar character and there are other holy book heros yet they are ignoring rest..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
{...}The Universe is a very cold place and is not fair. SO.
No, you are not better or more special than any other living thing in the Universe.

Just kill off all the bees and see how special and important you are to the grand scheme of things.

Posted by a guy with a GED.
Universe is neutral - we decide how it will be - cold, warm or hot!

That is offtopic and even if we would speak about bees - let me point it this way using your own logic. Let's assume humans are killed gone and none of us exist like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY
Now tell me that humans are nothing special and doesn't contribute to "grand scheme of things"..you failed in that. Humans are very important to Earth aswell. Stop spreading BIASed BS that humans are born to die and humanity is mistake in universe. Few members of humanity who misbehave can't be used to describe whole of it!

Again..GED or PHD it doesn't matter! Just like some poster above said - some people who don't go to college are more human than most who finish it.

Last edited by Arcane; 08-19-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typo
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration