LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 166 28.77%
Deist 18 3.12%
Theist 23 3.99%
Agnostic 120 20.80%
Atheist 250 43.33%
Voters: 577. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #4231
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,530
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026Reputation: 4026

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
and on ideas and themes that Christianity has borrowed or stolen from other religions/mythologies.
Especially have a look at the Hindu Krishna, the Zoroastrian Mythra and the Egyptian Horus.

Last edited by TobiSGD; 01-14-2013 at 02:48 PM.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #4232
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,432

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
You have no right to assume anything because in assuming you are making a vaue judgement.
We're not allowed to make incorrect judgements or assumptions any more?
 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #4233
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,617

Rep: Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubski View Post
We're not allowed to make incorrect judgements or assumptions any more?
It goes ack to a post where Blue made a statement about him condeming people people, later he backtracked and claimed he was not condeming but the person duly stands condemmed before God (post 4151). The issue is that Blue takes it upon himself to do what is apparently the work of "god". He makes judgements and he condems. I'd like to see what verse in the Bible, more specifically the NT, he would use to suggest he has that right.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #4234
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,959
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
He must have skipped the bits where it says "Judge not, lest ye be judged.", and let those without fault chuck the first bricks (summat like that, anyway).
 
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #4235
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
Ah the old Blue is back Just as much of a firm believer as ever I see Trolls like this will never admit to the possibility that the bible may be nothing more than a series of fictional stories thrown together by the lunatic fringe from centuries ago.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #4236
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,617

Rep: Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofbilkyyaforallican View Post
Ah the old Blue is back Just as much of a firm believer as ever I see Trolls like this will never admit to the possibility that the bible may be nothing more than a series of fictional stories thrown together by the lunatic fringe from centuries ago.
Nor should they have to if they actually believe it. I know this will most probably get an angry, or not so well thought out response like "proof or it didn't happen", but both side to this debate play the same game and that is where the real issue is.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #4237
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,345
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 349Reputation: 349Reputation: 349Reputation: 349
"Gods" can't exist without "devils" so damn us all! Until we say we're sorry and in God we trust? Or, it's like someone born in to a racist family\* you ether get smart or cause war! If we don't go by science\”facts” then we go by what our parents\environment taught!(.)

Last edited by jamison20000e; 01-16-2013 at 07:59 AM.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #4238
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
Nor should they have to if they actually believe it. I know this will most probably get an angry, or not so well thought out response like "proof or it didn't happen", but both side to this debate play the same game and that is where the real issue is.
Of course they should. Any human who beleives something with no evidence should at least keep in mind the possibility that they might be mistaken. To accept something as true without even the slightest supporting evidence is madness. Its only called "religion" because more than one person holds the same mad delusion.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #4239
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,959
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
Any human who beleives something with no evidence should at least keep in mind the possibility that they might be mistaken.
Exactly. That's the rational thing to do. Faith (belief without proof, belief without question) is totally irrational.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #4240
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,617

Rep: Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
Of course they should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Exactly. That's the rational thing to do. Faith (belief without proof, belief without question) is totally irrational.
Not at all. No one here knows how the universe started yet there are two main camps, religion and science. Religion goes on belief of a book, science goes on belief of theory. Both sides, in many arguments are just as irrational yet it is only the science side that says "proof or it didn't happen". As I keep saying when there is a middle ground this discussion will actually get somewhere, until then both sides will claim the higher moral ground yet neither side will be able to explain much at all.

Everybody should face the only real fact there is, we just don't know what happened and how it happened. Just because someone believes differently to you doesn't mean they are irrational or whatever it simply means you think you have all the answers when you don't.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #4241
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,345
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 349Reputation: 349Reputation: 349Reputation: 349
I think most become what they are born into, environmentally. Even tho on this subject—polar—opposite for me? Maybe: education and time?

Last edited by jamison20000e; 01-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #4242
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105
Any human who beleives something with no evidence should at least keep in mind the possibility that they might be mistaken.
Exactly. That's the rational thing to do. Faith (belief without proof, belief without question) is totally irrational.
I have a problem with the word "evidence". It is a word that you hear at a crime scene. The problem is that I hear it when there may not even be a crime.

I don't need evidence to believe something, but I do need it to make sense logically and to be based upon facts/truths. Some "evidence" is not logical, and so I do not believe it. Some is, and I do. Sometimes, science cannot provide "evidence" or "proof", which begets a need for philosophy and logical thinking. I think that some things can only be proven by logical thinking, which keeps them out of reach of both religion and science. These are the most important and fundamental things, and they are lost to most people. Maybe that's why the world is the way it is.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #4243
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
I still say that if the bulls**t written in the bible were half true, there would be indisputable proof of the existence of a god. You claim to be following blind faith that's fine ...FOR you but I would much rather have some tangible evidence that there is some mythical all knowing all seeing entity keeping track of every move you make! Religion is nothing more than stories based on superstition and misguided power tripping. I wonder what most of the "prophets" were smoking back then.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #4244
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,432

Rep: Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827Reputation: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I have a problem with the word "evidence". It is a word that you hear at a crime scene. The problem is that I hear it when there may not even be a crime.
You have a problem with words that can be used to mean slightly different things in different contexts? Maybe natural language is not for you.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #4245
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,384

Rep: Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubski View Post
You have a problem with words that can be used to mean slightly different things in different contexts? Maybe natural language is not for you.
Interesting theory you have there ;-)
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration