LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 168 28.82%
Deist 18 3.09%
Theist 23 3.95%
Agnostic 120 20.58%
Atheist 254 43.57%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #4216
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
[url="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/lq-suggestions-and-feedback-7/an-appeal-to-the-moderator-team-923267/#post4571944"]I hope there's more to what you aim to achieve here than just regurgitate old posts.
Actually, that points to a new article.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #4217
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,462
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Actually, that points to a new article.
I made a polite suggestion and all I get in return is evasiveness. Do you really think that is a prudent move?
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #4218
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
I made a polite suggestion and all I get in return is evasiveness. Do you really think that is a prudent move?
Quite polite, yes. To what purpose though? We've been on this merry-go-round about the propriety of discussing eternity in a section of this forum marked "general," has it been a year now, off and on?

Let's just settle it. This section is marked "General." Does that include issues of faith? Yes or no?
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #4219
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,385
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 364Reputation: 364Reputation: 364Reputation: 364
Talking With regards, all and religion will\needs to convert itself.


Last edited by jamison20000e; 01-13-2013 at 07:53 PM.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #4220
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,494

Rep: Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Actually, that points to a new article.
Cool URIs don't change.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #4221
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,754

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
There is blind faith, and there is seeing faith.
John 20:29 refers to blind faith.

Quote:
Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.
It is to easy to use the Bible itself to refute what you post. You really need to know what you are talking about before you make statements like you do.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #4222
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,462
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899
//This thread has been assimilated by the "Rank your religiousness" thread.
Have fun!
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #4223
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
John 20:29 refers to blind faith.

It is to easy to use the Bible itself to refute what you post. You really need to know what you are talking about before you make statements like you do.
Actually, Thomas had seen, but what he had seen was taken away. Having seen he was expected to believe still, now that what he had seen was taken from him. What we "see" of God along the way are deposits, which should give us faith, despite tangible evidence at present. "Faith is the --substance--of things hoped for. (Heb 11:1)

Thomas was upbraided not for faith (seeing), but for doubt (blindness).

John 9:39--Jesus said,[a] “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

Christ's remark to Thomas was for our benefit. "Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet believe." We've never seen Christ in the flesh. I believe, having not seen. I assume you do not believe. Christ was not applauding blind faith, as you suggest, but the kind of faith that comes from having seen the mercies of God, and for such, stands firm when God seems far removed. This Christian faith is not an easy road. But when a firm Christian is buffeted with much tribulation, when God seems far removed and they can't see the road ahead, it is then that they stand by faith and see most clearly.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #4224
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
//This thread has been assimilated by the "Rank your religiousness" thread.
Have fun!
Why am I not surprised?
 
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #4225
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,041
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
//This thread has been assimilated by the "Rank your religiousness" thread.
Good idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Have fun!
Will do! If I can avoid getting banned.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #4226
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,462
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
If I can avoid getting banned.
By Jove, if the past 2 weeks were testament of that then one can only hope you'll at least put in some effort ;-p
 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #4227
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,754

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Actually, Thomas had seen, but what he had seen was taken away. Having seen he was expected to believe still, now that what he had seen was taken from him. What we "see" of God along the way are deposits, which should give us faith, despite tangible evidence at present. "Faith is the --substance--of things hoped for. (Heb 11:1)
You made a statement that was factually incorrect and youa re now twisting the words of a book, you say you believe, to suit your own purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Thomas was upbraided not for faith (seeing), but for doubt (blindness).
YEs, but you miss the point, again. It is written "blessed are those who have not seen yet still believe. This is Blind faith regardless of how you twist things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
John 9:39--Jesus said,[a] “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”
Again you are twisting things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Christ's remark to Thomas was for our benefit.
Isn't the point the existence of the Bible so everypne can benefit? Christ's remarks to Thomas were for his benefit, the fact they have been put in the Bible is supposed to be for ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
"Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet believe." We've never seen Christ in the flesh. I believe, having not seen. I assume you do not believe.
This gets back to the whole judgement thing. You have no right to assume anything because in assuming you are making a vaue judgement. You say you believe I accept that, I have not stated my position because I am treating this discussion as the complete mess it is and you judge me, and others, as non-believers. Let me just say Blue, you have done your service a huge misjustice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Christ was not applauding blind faith, as you suggest, but the kind of faith that comes from having seen the mercies of God, and for such, stands firm when God seems far removed.
I haven't suggested anything of the sort. What I said was a passage in the Bible shows you sare wrong. Having not seen yet still believe means you believe with "blind faith". That is the point of the statement, nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
This Christian faith is not an easy road. But when a firm Christian is buffeted with much tribulation, when God seems far removed and they can't see the road ahead, it is then that they stand by faith and see most clearly.
You are mixing your metafors. You have no idea what goes on in peoples lives, you have no idea who is and who isn't "christian", and you have no idea about the book you take bits and pieces from. Like I said above, and have said in other posts, you are doing yourself and your cause a miservice. I feel for the people you lead astray, those who find out the things you are "preaching" are not based on anything but your own misguided opinion.

If you truly believe what you say above with regards to "blind faith" then I suggest you try leading by example and let people see how a "christian" acts in times of difficulties instead of bludgening people with your beliefs on an online forum that is supposed to help people with computer problems. The evidence suggests you have no intention of being part of LQ for anything but proselyting.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #4228
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,385
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 364Reputation: 364Reputation: 364Reputation: 364
Cool

3/4 atheist-(picked and clicked) .25 agnostic-(seems more scientific to me)

Last edited by jamison20000e; 01-14-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: nice graph :)
 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #4229
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,041
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
bluegospel

Put the Bible aside for a while. Do some research on the historical Jesus, on how the New Testament was put together, and on ideas and themes that Christianity has borrowed or stolen from other religions/mythologies.
 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #4230
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,041
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
By Jove, if the past 2 weeks were testament of that then one can only hope you'll at least put in some effort ;-p
It's my new LQ routine. I lurk (browse the forums without logging in, have a laugh at the "Mature Dating" ads), see if there's any serious questions I can answer (very rarely), then any not-so-serious (less rarely). Then log-out. Sort of hit-and-run.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration