LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Poll: You are a...
Poll Options
You are a...

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

firm believer
Deist
Theist
Agnostic
Atheist

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #4201
Nbiser
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Fedora, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Helix,
Posts: 290
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much of your understanding of this came from creationist sources? Reading mainstream scientists quoted in creationist sources still counts as reading creationist sources.
Yes, I got my information from creationist sources. Nevertheless, my source doesn't make my statement or my information wrong. Besides, your arugment is in ad fontem argument, which means that it is an argument against the source-this is considered a fallacy. Since it is a fallacy it has nothing at all to do with the argument.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4202
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Going round and round in circles people. No one will ever take someone elses discussion as valid.

Last edited by k3lt01; 01-01-2013 at 02:22 PM.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #4203
dugan
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 5,006

Rep: Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbiser View Post
Yes, I got my information from creationist sources. Nevertheless, my source doesn't make my statement or my information wrong. Besides, your arugment is in ad fontem argument, which means that it is an argument against the source-this is considered a fallacy. Since it is a fallacy it has nothing at all to do with the argument.
There hasn't been an argument made yet. You have merely stated your position and I have simply asked how your position has been informed.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #4204
Mara
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: Grenoble
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 9,540

Rep: Reputation: 149Reputation: 149
Moderator note: please stop all personal attacks immediately. The LQ is about friendly discussions, not about flamewars. If not, this thread will be closed.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #4205
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,472
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
Going round and round in circles people. No one will ever take someone elses discussion as valid.
Especially opinions (by definition arguable) like gods existing, this is.

Page 14 #208 Hell will never scare smart. http://behaviorinnate.blogspot.com/2...of-whorls.html

If I was born 100s of years ago (or poor and uneducated)
I would believe in gods but thanks to that history (and my location(?))
I can save my sacrifices for good, like science and love.
Giving a man a fish gives you more power.

The only one we must defeat is ourself!

Last edited by jamison20000e; 01-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #4206
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
Especially opinions (by definition arguable) like gods existing, this is.
There is very little in this thread that is anything but opinion and when someone asks for facts all we get is opinion.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #4207
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,458

Rep: Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
There is very little in this thread that is anything but opinion and when someone asks for facts all we get is opinion.
Very little could be said, nor be said more beautifully and poetically and masterfully (in the English language ...), than Job chapters 38-40 in the King James Version of the Bible. "Where were you when the foundations of the world were laid ...?"

"The facts," about such matters, are not for Man to know. We are, quite frankly, not capable of it ... any more than Moses could have understood a microchip.

Now, there's nothing amiss with seeking to know ... we've got brains and we're quite expected to use them. But if there's just one thing that your thinking should tell you, it's that there are hard limits to thinking. Don't stare at a book that your preacher gave you and (probably never actually having read the whole thing through even once ...), somehow expecting that magically hidden within its pages you'll find all the answers in the Universe, just waiting for your "infallible" interpretation to prize them out and hit your fellow Christian over the head with them.

Far better advice is to take your unknown number of years and try to do some good with it ... or, at the very least, try to do no harm. You may never know just how much harm you have done, even though your intentions were sincere and even devout, just by trying too hard to be sincere and devout. You don't have to correct your brother's "errors." He doesn't work for you...
 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #4208
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialsvcs View Post
Very little could be said, nor be said more beautifully and poetically and masterfully (in the English language ...), than Job chapters 38-40 in the King James Version of the Bible. "Where were you when the foundations of the world were laid ...?"

"The facts," about such matters, are not for Man to know. We are, quite frankly, not capable of it ... any more than Moses could have understood a microchip.

Now, there's nothing amiss with seeking to know ... we've got brains and we're quite expected to use them. But if there's just one thing that your thinking should tell you, it's that there are hard limits to thinking. Don't stare at a book that your preacher gave you and (probably never actually having read the whole thing through even once ...), somehow expecting that magically hidden within its pages you'll find all the answers in the Universe, just waiting for your "infallible" interpretation to prize them out and hit your fellow Christian over the head with them.

Far better advice is to take your unknown number of years and try to do some good with it ... or, at the very least, try to do no harm. You may never know just how much harm you have done, even though your intentions were sincere and even devout, just by trying too hard to be sincere and devout. You don't have to correct your brother's "errors." He doesn't work for you...
When people "preach" either side of this discussion and make statements that they say are fact and demand that others provide proof then they need to be prepapred to provide the same level of proof they expect to be given. This is a discussion where 2 worlds collide. A "christian" will more often than not come out with the statements Blue comes out with while an "athiest" will more often than not come out with the statements Tobi come out with. Humanity is capable of this discussion but, and this is just my opinion, only if the 2 sides can stop and put aside their own dogmatic approach.

If your preacher has never read the book through more than once, if ever, then there is a problem. I wasn't going to go here but considering your post really looks as though it is directed at me I am going to. "My preacher" died in his bed an 12.09am on Septmeber 6th last year, 4 days after his 70th birthday. My father was that man I sat in the room he was in (his bedroom which he didn;t leave much in his last 12 months. I called the ambulance, the police, and the funeral director. I know how often he read the book at the very least because he read it every year in 5 chapters a day increments. As well as being a minister of religion he was also a funeral director for many years of his life. I have been around religion (christianity, Islam, Hindu, Bahai, etc.) for the larger portion of my life and seen good and bad work in the name of religion. I have also seen good and bad work in the name of science. I will, in a heart beat, discuss things like this on street corners with any street corner evangelist and/or any street corner athiest because many of them are not capable of expressing what is actually written/known. If that causes damage then so be it, I can live with that because someone who believes something due to being taught false things is, when they find out the person who told them something is wrong, going to start questioning everything they know.

My personal beliefs are neither here nor there in this discussion and I have deliberately kept them out of it and I will never inform any of you what my beliefs are. My concern here is the aftermath of discussions like this. It starts with Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny where kids are deliberately taught about something that does not exist. In Australia we have a thing called Hillsong and it is a new age pentecostal "church". It is possibly the biggest single "church" in Sydney, maybe even Australia, and they "preach" infantile christianity. I know, personally, of many people who have left that group and have felt as though their lives were a waste and are hollow. Why do they feel that? because they found out later that what is being "preached" has nothing to do with what is actually written. That to me is psychologically damaging. I have no problem with people having blind faith, just like I have no problem with people needing proof for everything it is afterall a matter of each to his/her own. What I do have a problem with is people who are so adamant that their way is the only way and will twist things to "prove" they are correct.

Last edited by k3lt01; 01-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #4209
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
If you dare . . . bluebounty.net/laymansreflection
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #4210
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,472
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
We are all born into different acceptances, some won't see past them. Smash the hard-dive and AI (once its here thanks to life(.)) won't go to???

Science will never answer many things but is not blind by faith...
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #4211
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
We are all born into different acceptances, some won't see past them. Smash the hard-dive and AI (once its here thanks to life(.)) won't go to???

Science will never answer many things but is not blind by faith...
There is blind faith, and there is seeing faith.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #4212
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,472
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
See is believing...

Most religions believe\teach for a good cause, for the most part; but are only human.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #4213
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
See is believing...

Most religions believe\teach for a good cause, for the most part; but are only human.
Most religions are just as you've stated. Christ is the exception.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #4214
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,814
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
There is or should be a limit to what you can ask for. I'm not saying you should up your game or call it quits but I hope there's more to what you aim to achieve here than just regurgitate old posts. And else it's been about a month you posted elsewhere in other LQ fora. So maybe it's time you go help somebody else for a while? After all that's LQ's main purpose...
 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #4215
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,472
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386Reputation: 386
I believe with all my heart: all religions come from collective *human* thoughts. Everyone has some good, some bad plus learning\developing curves...

"God" did not just pick some time in infinity and say, "o.k. now!"
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 07:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 02:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 03:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration