LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 168 28.82%
Deist 18 3.09%
Theist 23 3.95%
Agnostic 120 20.58%
Atheist 254 43.57%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #4021
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
You don't have evidence for God because you're not looking for it. You're looking for evidence against God. There is plenty of "evidence" for both cases. Those who love God favor the evidence he gives, and obey accordingly. Those hating God have their plethora of philosophies, and will not admit God's Son or descendants as evidence, and if they do, they discriminate inwardly against them.
??? What god ???? if there is one why does he/she/it allow so much evil to exist? why do we have such upheaval in the world? why are the muslim extremists so bent on destruction? why do babies die before knowing life? why do we have such sicknesses as cancer? why can one man not love another as his brother? Don't say it is gods will and walk away ... these are questions that (as you claim to know god) should be able to answer . or perhaps you could just simply answer some of the questions put forth earlier instead of jabbering in circles as you tend to do until people get pissed with you! BTW quoting passages from that piece of fiction "the bible" are getting very thin .
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #4022
easuter
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Portugal
Distribution: Slackware64 13.0, Slackware64 13.1
Posts: 538

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
That day is but a moment away!
Pointless speculation.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #4023
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Haven't seen any evidence for god still.
You have the testimony of his church, which you reject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Nope, they favor blind faith, and obey accordingly.
To the contrary, we recognize Christian testimony as evidence, not only valid, but preeminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
The usual mistake of believers. Atheist/agnostics don't hate your god. Why should anybody hate something that is non-existent?
Pretense.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #4024
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
You don't have evidence for God because you're not looking for it.
There's no evidence at all.
Human brain is made in such way that if you'll start looking for "proofs" you'll find them everywhere, even when they don't exist. That's called confirmation bias or delusion and is treated by psychiatrists in extreme cases. IMO, people that see image of jesus on a piece of fried bread fall into that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
You're looking for evidence against God.
Before trying to put everybody into single category, you should remember that there are atheists, agnostics, and followers of different religion (compared to yours) who do not have that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
There is plenty of "evidence" for both cases.
There is none. It is said that Jesus has been performing miracles, which could be fairytales. Right now we have sufficient technology to distinguish miracle from trickery, and there are no miracles performed by your church, no visits by angels, jesus, no communications with god, nothing. The reasonable assumption is that your god either did not exist to begin with, has died, has disappeared, or has abandoned humanity, or that maybe there's another god that do not find humanity worth attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
That day is but a moment away!
Nonsense. Unless you have immortality pill, I'd advise not to hold your breath - the sun may die long before people find THE proof that god exists or that it does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
You have the testimony of his church, which you reject.
"church" cannot be trusted, because it is not interested in finding "truth" if said truth will destroy the church or religion. They're interested only in keeping people believing, even if entire belief is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Those who love God favor the evidence he gives, and obey accordingly. Those hating God have their plethora of philosophies, and will not admit God's Son or descendants as evidence, and if they do, they discriminate inwardly against them.
And here we go again.
In other words, your argument (again) is "I'm special so I have access to secret knowledge, while you do not, and if you disagree with me, you hate god". You're not special, and people don't hate something that they aren't even sure exists. If you can't prove your position without bible references, it is because it does not have any logical foundation behind it.

Also, I happen to live in the same world, and I definitely see no "signs of god's love" anywhere. There are plenty of "signs of indifference", though, but absolutely nobody is "loved", as far as I can tell. In any direction you look there's injustice, indifference or suffering. In my opinion, if you the only thing you see is "god's love", you need to wake up, take off your "rose-colored glasses" and take just one hard look at the world you live in.

Last edited by SigTerm; 12-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #4025
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Wow..people this gets boring. So many evidence around you in information age yet you still choose to be ignorant..oh well..your choice..for people who need visible proof ancient civilisations were not dumb and that ancient constructions were not done by slaves or for lame purposes here is something that prooves they were smart + that man in his writings also mentioned existence of Gods..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle
http://maps.google.com
Also watch this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5TRhVlUQ8
Conclusion after everything in this topic + if you searched for God in your own life ignoring brainwash craptalk - force we call God exists and religions didn't come from empty air!!! Take this you ignorant atheists..
P.S.I'm done trying to open eyes for you here - rest is your choice..

Last edited by Arcane; 12-17-2011 at 10:58 AM.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #4026
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
in information age yet you still choose to be ignorant..
...
God exists
"The irony is strong with this one".
That's what I meant when I was talking about confirmation bias and delusions. So believing in "new age" "spiritual talk" is okay, claiming to be able to communicate with "aliens from andromeda" (I knew a guy like that) is okay, but questioning existence of god is not? Pfft. That's not "information age" at all.

Anyway, maybe you aren't aware of that, but the reason why some people do not believe in god, is because they DID search for god, but did not find it. Christians turn into atheists and agnostics, you know, and they normally have a good reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Quote:
The structure is considered mysterious by some who have claimed that Leedskalnin constructed the castle using some unknown form of science, however, these claims have not been rigorously analyzed by either engineers or scientists, and [15] such theories seem to be discounted by evidence, such as photographs showing Leedskalnin working, apparently using traditional methods like block and tackle.[16] [3]

The Coral Castle site states that "if anyone ever questioned Ed about how he moved the blocks of coral, Ed would only reply that he understood the laws of weight and leverage well." [5] He also stated that he had "discovered the secrets of the pyramids",[15] which of course could be interpreted in either esoteric OR engineering terms.
http://www.livescience.com/680-myste...iful-myth.html

Also:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19418...years-ago.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_18718...en-solved.html

Last edited by SigTerm; 12-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #4027
easuter
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Portugal
Distribution: Slackware64 13.0, Slackware64 13.1
Posts: 538

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Wow..people this gets boring. So many evidence around you in information age yet you still choose to be ignorant..oh well..your choice..for people who need visible proof ancient civilisations were not dumb and that ancient constructions were not done by slaves or for lame purposes here is something that prooves they were smart + that man in his writings also mentioned existence of Gods..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle
http://maps.google.com
Also watch this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5TRhVlUQ8
Conclusion after everything in this topic + if you searched for God in your own life ignoring brainwash craptalk - force we call God exists and religions didn't come from empty air!!! Take this you ignorant atheists..
P.S.I'm done trying to open eyes for you here - rest is your choice..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
 
Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #4028
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Regarding coral castle.
There's this video you might want to check out.
The dude explains how to build stonehenge using gravity. Also, he rotates buildings. Alone.

It is all quite simple, once you throw away the whole "aliens/gods must've done it" thing.
The problem with "there's no way humans could've done it" (pyramids) or "there's no way it isn't designed by god"(life) is that such situation do not prove magic, existence of god, or miracles. You simply surrender/give up on trying to find truth out, shut down your brain, throw your sense of reason away, and annouce "it is a miracle!". While in reality you simply haven't tried hard enough to research and find out how it could've been done by humans, or how it could happen without god.

Last edited by SigTerm; 12-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #4029
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
been quite quiet on this topic lately ... did everyone decide to give up the fight? LOL
 
Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #4030
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,043
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah. They've all been running around in ever decreasing circles and disappeared up their own rear ends.
 
Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #4031
DJ Shaji
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: India
Distribution: Debian Squeeze, Fedora 17
Posts: 434
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 80
You know what, I propose we set up our own religion or cult; lets start by deciding how many wives we get to keep. I suggest 8. One for each day of the week and one for your birthday.
 
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #4032
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,569
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Shaji View Post
You know what, I propose we set up our own religion or cult; lets start by deciding how many wives we get to keep. I suggest 8. One for each day of the week and one for your birthday.
I think you have forgotten about women who make up some part of LQ community.
 
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #4033
moxieman99
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: Dabble, but latest used are Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 10.4.1
Posts: 413

Rep: Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Shaji View Post
You know what, I propose we set up our own religion or cult; lets start by deciding how many wives we get to keep. I suggest 8.
EIGHT wives? That sounds like Hell to me.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #4034
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
Thanks but I'm very happy with my one beautiful wife !
 
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #4035
aizkorri
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: Basque Country
Distribution: Fedora 14, Ubuntu 11.10
Posts: 425
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
I think you have forgotten about women who make up some part of LQ community.
hmm, well, they could also have 8 husbands, no problem ;-)
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration