LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 168 28.87%
Deist 18 3.09%
Theist 23 3.95%
Agnostic 120 20.62%
Atheist 253 43.47%
Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #2941
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm
I'm going to give up on this thread, otherwise I'll surely turn into some kind of total anti-religious agnostic misanthrope.
If that would be the end result, I encourage you to stay in the thread!
Key word here: misanthrope. Maybe I'm just too nice (okay, IRL; I know I haven't exactly been polite here in this thread ), but that seems to me to be a rather rude and hurtful way of going about the whole religion thing. IMO the only time someone deserves to be insulted for their religion/faith/spirituality is if they take it to gross extremes and are completely unwilling to open their minds to any other way of thinking.

To each their own, though; I'm not forcing you to change your attitude towards religious people, I'm just stating my opinion.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #2942
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
you think that constitutes all that can be done to search for life???
I think it constitutes fiscal irresponsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
Are you really that ignorant of the difficulties surrounding intergalactic travel???
Yes. And if I were to give more attention to astronomy it would be to search for unknown minerals, not "intergalactic life."


Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
you disregard all of this information completely, and embrace the concept of a human soul, which one should be able to find right here on Earth, yet zero evidence of its existence has been found.
Actually, the human soul is the easiest thing to prove, but you can only prove it to yourself. You know that you exist because you have sensation. Yet you can't prove to me that you have sensation.

Also, you can't even prove to anyone, including yourself, that what you see exists, except that you have sensation of it. Therefore, sensation--that is, life--supercedes matter.

Last edited by bluegospel; 08-25-2011 at 02:43 PM.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #2943
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
You should apply this principle when looking at scientific issues rather than making claims without the prerequisite understanding of the science.
I'm terribly sorry if I insulted you in any way, as suggested by your remark.
And I understand science well enough to see that your argument above is far from being unusual in a scientific dispute. It has even been far worse than that, when folks would even hit one another with huge volumes or even their fists in the heat of a scientific discussion.

Apart from that, it would be interesting to hear the reasons and proofs to support one's scientific theory. But one mustn't expect that such proofs will be accepted without some criticism. You see, I have some prerequisite understanding of science .
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #2944
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
Evidence from a non-theological source, please.
C'mon, who has ever cared about the details of Jewish life, unless it be those studying the Bible?

Besides, the issue in question doesn't alter in any way the effectiveness and wisdom of the council found in the Bible.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #2945
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel
Actually, the human soul is the easiest thing to prove, but you can only prove it to yourself. You know that you exist because you have sensation. Yet you can't prove to me that you have sensation.

Also, you can't even prove to anyone, including yourself, that what you see exists, except that you have sensation of it. Therefore, sensation--that is, life--supercedes matter.
If you're referring to subjectivity and the sense of self, then it has nothing to do with some immaterial "soul" or "spirit". What's occurring is that your brain has only itself and its perceptions to refer to (i.e. its past experiences), so it's creating the illusion that it's a unique, discrete entity that is somehow "above" the rest of the universe. This is how the illusion of free will is generated as well; we perceive that we are somehow "above" causality and are consciously willing our acts independent of it, even though this is far from the case.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #2946
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
God created a work-in-process: very real, very ancient minerals, already aged the first day they were created--dinosaur bones, etc.
He did all that with what purpose exactly, if you don't mind my asking?
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #2947
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
If you're referring to subjectivity and the sense of self, then it has nothing to do with some immaterial "soul" or "spirit". What's occurring is that your brain has only itself and its perceptions to refer to (i.e. its past experiences), so it's creating the illusion that it's a unique, discrete entity that is somehow "above" the rest of the universe. This is how the illusion of free will is generated as well; we perceive that we are somehow "above" causality and are consciously willing our acts independent of it, even though this is far from the case.
With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense at all. If you are really a living being, then you also experience being a living being. A rock, which is purely matter, probably doesn't experience anything. You do. Your brain, with all its chemicals and electric impulses--all this is matter. Humans might someday create a very life-like robot whose processing mechanics simulate the human brain. Yet we'll never invent a robot that can experience the human or any animal-like experience.

In other words, the electric impulses only prove mechanics of life. Try proving the experience--how we can have any sensation. By science you can explain how electricity can initiate movement of metals and second causes--robotics, but never human sensation--the human soul. Metals in motion have neither sensation nor soul. Yet we're accountable to God for what we do with our souls.

---------- Post added 08-25-11 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
He did all that with what purpose exactly, if you don't mind my asking?
Art
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #2948
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Well there are so many suggestions, assumptions and possible explanations spring from this brief answer of yours that I'm afraid of tiring you out with these. Besides, I can read.
So is there any web site where I could find some basics of this remarkable teaching? I've heard of it but never read anything. Thanks in advance.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #2949
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
Well there are so many suggestions, assumptions and possible explanations spring from this brief answer of yours that I'm afraid of tiring you out with these. Besides, I can read.
So is there any web site where I could find some basics of this remarkable teaching? I've heard of it but never read anything. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your sincerity. Two primarily in my mind right now: biblegateway.com & intouch.org check out the audio archives of the latter. Also, InTouch puts out an absolutely free monthly magazine.

Last edited by bluegospel; 08-25-2011 at 04:06 PM.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2950
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
If you like "hard reads" (I couldn't do it), read "A Meaningful World," by Benjamin Wiker & Jonathan Witt.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #2951
kostya
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, antix(mepis), Fedora, FreeBSD
Posts: 172
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
And what interpretation manages that?
It is the interpretation that lets the Bible explains itself.
It also implies, that if some concept commonly thought to be "Christian" contradicts the Bible, it has to be dropped as something preventing the clear understanding.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #2952
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
I'm terribly sorry if I insulted you in any way, as suggested by your remark.
And I understand science well enough to see that your argument above is far from being unusual in a scientific dispute. It has even been far worse than that, when folks would even hit one another with huge volumes or even their fists in the heat of a scientific discussion.

Apart from that, it would be interesting to hear the reasons and proofs to support one's scientific theory. But one mustn't expect that such proofs will be accepted without some criticism. You see, I have some prerequisite understanding of science .
Hmm, I'd have to look back, but I may have confused some of bluegospels posts with yours. Were you disputing the facts of evolution?
 
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #2953
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense at all. If you are really a living being, then you also experience being a living being. A rock, which is purely matter, probably doesn't experience anything. You do. Your brain, with all its chemicals and electric impulses--all this is matter. Humans might someday create a very life-like robot whose processing mechanics simulate the human brain. Yet we'll never invent a robot that can experience the human or any animal-like experience.

In other words, the electric impulses only prove mechanics of life. Try proving the experience--how we can have any sensation.
How would you know if the robot had "experience" like people? Why couldn't a robot be created that can experience like a human or animal? Because humans (and animals?) allegedly have souls? Then that's just begging the question, you have to assume the conclusion in the premise. What exactly is experience? (Or qualia as philosophers call it.) What is consciousness? We don't have any good answers to these questions, so to assume the negative seems premature.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #2954
SL00b
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: LA, US
Distribution: SLES
Posts: 375

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
C'mon, who has ever cared about the details of Jewish life, unless it be those studying the Bible?
Jewish people? It's their cultural history you're talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya View Post
Besides, the issue in question doesn't alter in any way the effectiveness and wisdom of the council found in the Bible.
Except it does, or else you wouldn't be here saying it says something it doesn't say. If the Bible did say something about gravity or life on other planets, then that would be pretty impressive wisdom for its age.

Last edited by SL00b; 08-25-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #2955
devnull10
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: Lancashire
Distribution: Slackware Stable
Posts: 547

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
May I recommend people to watch the documentary "religulous"?
Part 1 is here, the rest can be found in the similar links. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClUCw4
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration