LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 164 28.62%
Deist 18 3.14%
Theist 23 4.01%
Agnostic 120 20.94%
Atheist 248 43.28%
Voters: 573. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #2821
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Rep: Reputation: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
and why shouldn't I read Quran? Why only Bible?
and what has a proof to do with a humble heart?

You can read All and compare.
But, do not blame God if you reject his Salvation and go to Hell.
Do not say to God, "I do not have chance to read bible, no one preached to me."


 
Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #2822
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLinux View Post
But, do not blame God if you reject his Salvation and go to Hell.
Do not say to God, "I do not have chance to read bible, no one preached to me."
Are you a Jehovah’s witness or
plan to become one?
 
Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #2823
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
and why shouldn't I read Quran? Why only Bible?
and what has a proof to do with a humble heart?
and do you mean that God exists because it is
written in Bible?

Well, I think you should study the difference
between a fact and a belief.
I think there were several quite similar discussions recently, and I suspect that the OP is trolling us. Is it worth it? (Although is you're having fun this way, I won't interfere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLinux View Post
But, do not blame God if you reject his Salvation and go to Hell.
Let's see. If there is no afterlife, after death you disappear. If there is afterlife, and you go to hell, then you get to live forever. So... where is the problem?
 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #2824
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
I think there were several quite similar discussions recently, and I suspect that the OP is trolling us. Is it worth it? (Although is you're having fun this way, I won't interfere).
This particular OP has got many troll sounding
type of threads/posts in the technical sections,
previously. This thread is not a surprise.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #2825
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLinux View Post

You can read All and compare.
But, do not blame God if you reject his Salvation and go to Hell.
Do not say to God, "I do not have chance to read bible, no one preached to me."
You can tell by the red colour that this is obviously another satanic post by a 'christain'.

'Rejecting' your 'god given brain' to follow some unproved, unprovable bit of 1650 year old propganda, does that seem that smart? :P I guess that just following a book is farily easy, actually thinking about things is bit too complex.

Dont say to the gods 'but I was sure that the christains were right, they said they were in that book!'.

While I think of it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UbqZ...eature=related
 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #2826
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, Slackware
Posts: 1,217

Rep: Reputation: 375Reputation: 375Reputation: 375Reputation: 375
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." ~ Voltaire
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #2827
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceSharma View Post
There sure are some..... blah blah blah..... ............you in simpler words.

Regards.
For me you are the most confused guy here. I feel you need to clarify your stand first to yourself. Some time back you were atheist, then agnostic and yesterday you became believer in God. Wooow. Another time you dont believe in any holy book, but you keep copy of all books in your system. You dont believe in vedas because you believe in any book but quoting me "Aham Brahmasmi" and asking me to go and search the meaning. In your quote meaning you claiming yourself as God.... "God is Me" .... Are you in you buddy?


Some of your quotes for your quick reference.

10-16-10, 01:00 PM #1060 PrinceSharma
A daylight Atheist.

07-14-11, 11:41 PM #1916 PrinceSharma
I don't know why. I was a religious boy since my teenage, and then it was my belief system itself which made me open my mind and eyes and seek the answer not just in books but around myself.
There's no answer to any such thing so far, to me.

07-19-11, 09:35 PM #1975 PrinceSharma
In fact, being a Hindu, (be it agnostic) I could only take one wonderful thing out of my belief system, and that was the mention in every single scripture of the message - "Aham Brahmasmi." That meant, God is in me / God is Me / God is everywhere. Call it anything. Very simple.

04-27-11, 12:38 AM #1236 PrinceSharma
A daylight atheist

07-12-11, 10:36 PM #1866 PrinceSharma
I belong to a belief system Hinduism where it is considered to have one creator OM and many many many prophets or avatars AND my childhood sweetheart and now gf is a devout Muslim (beat it), BUT I refuse to blindly believe either ways. I got holy books in my system too but they don't let me KNOW.
I want to know ... like the other guy in this thread.

08-19-11, 11:48 PM #2614 PrinceSharma
No, there are already dozens of self proclaimed Gods out there.
For me, it doesn't at all matter and won't ever.
I was born free, would stay free and would die free

Yesterday, 11:25 PM #2677 PrinceSharma
As long as I believe that there is just one highest power up above, somewhere or everywhere which can't even be "discussed" by mere human beings, leave alone the claim of being "owned" and written down in books; there can't be any holy books for me.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #2828
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
Hmmmm If that link is your answer to prove your point, you need to consider these links also which will disprove your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quran
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #2829
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaanAli View Post
Hmmmm If that link is your answer to prove your point, you need to consider these links also which will disprove your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quran
What exactly were you trying to prove with those links?

From the first link:
Quote:
The Quran, which Muslims believe was revealed to Muhammad through Gabriel (Jibrāʾīl).
From the second link:
Quote:
Muslims believe the Quran to be verbally revealed through angel Jibrīl (Gabriel) from God to Muhammad gradually over a period of approximately twenty-three years beginning in 610 CE, when Muhammad was forty, and concluding in 632 CE, the year of his death.

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 08-24-2011 at 05:14 AM.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #2830
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." ~ Voltaire
Dead man's quote!

We are human, we are not computer,
we can think about the meaning of life.
This is not trolling, it is the most meaningful topic.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #2831
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
Depending on the circumstances I would either 1) indeed just pardon you, 2) publicly refute whatever erroneous claims where made in the book, and/or 3) sue you for libel if appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL00b View Post
Depending on what you said, I'd either ignore you, write my own book telling the truth, and/or take you to court for libel.
Sorry its a old topic....

See even i didnt write anything you reach to this level of punishing me. Think the temper you will have when really such book get published and the content is really very nasty/objectionable, everyone around your neighbour, your friends start asking you question and being in different country you can not do anything against me. And suddenly I am standing infront of you. Surely you will hit me hard I wont get up.
Here we are talking about the person who wrote book on international level and wrote all wrong about the person muslims love more then their family. Its human nature, anybody can loose his temper and will do something he shouldn't do. I never said what ever fatwa was issued was right, same time i am also not with that person who wrote such book which cause violence in public and refused to revert.
People will also have fear if they dont condemn hard for such acts, it will become practice in future and hard to control.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #2832
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
What exactly were you trying to prove with those links?
Not proving anything i know. Its same like first link where nothing gets disapprove. People can write anything in wiki.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #2833
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
A matter which hasn't been proved,
nor has been disproved, can IMO be
safely termed as a belief.

I don't even understand why do people
feel the need to prove their religion
as the correct one, to others.

Perhaps some holy books ask their
followers to preach their religion? or
it is an ego issue for some people?
 
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #2834
Cultist
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 777

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
Because there are things people don't completely understand, and sometimes situations that can't be quite easily explained happen.
but that's no reason to believe that some kind of supernatural entity was the cause. In fact, even if that WERE the case, it would raise just as many unexplainable questions.

Quote:
Quote:
the Bible
Sigh... Christianity is not the only religion in the world.
Yes, I am aware of this. In fact, if you had read the the bit in parentheses that immediately followed that quote, you would find "(or the Torah or the Koran or any other similar book)."
Its bad form to make a comment on something without reading, especially in a religion thread.


Quote:
Well in this case you could try hinduism - it is said to be oldest active religion in the world.
I really hate using words like proof and evidence in religion threads because it makes me sound like another militant anti-religionist, but like most religions in the world, there's as little evidence to support Hinduism's claims as there is to support Abrahamic religion claims. Being the oldest surviving religion doesn't really mean anything substantial.

If someone wants to believe God or Jesus or Allah or Brahaman or the FSM or whoever created the world, or if they want to believe that the world sits on the head of an elephant balanced on the back of a turtle, that's their business. My only point is that I don't understand WHY an otherwise intelligent human being would put any stock in such things.

Last edited by Cultist; 08-24-2011 at 06:01 AM.
 
Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #2835
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Man, is this still going on?

ShaanAli, I've give you points for persistence, but you'll lose just as many if not more points for lack of logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaanAli View Post
God can lie, ofcourse yes. He can do that. He can do anything. But there is no need for him to lie. This is not as per his character. The one who created EVERYTHING including you & me don't need to lie. He is most merciful, and knowledge of everything.
You havent thought this though in respect of your position on evolution. True, there is no hard 'proof' of mans evolution from hominids. But there is plently of evidence (to the point of 'proof') of evolution in general.

The evidence of evolution shows us that man is an evolved, not created creature. Unless you want to change 'god does not lie', you've got only 2 options.

#1- Humans evolved. The koran is wrong.
#2- Humans were created, and the evidence of evolution is a lie (and since god created everything, that means god is telling lies).

You can call it lose/lose.

BTW, nice to see that you finally gave up the 'god wrote the koran' and modified to to 'gabriel wrote the koran'. What a pity that I posted that when you were still insisting that 'god' wrote it.

Also, I found your marrige argument naive, misleading and out and out silly. In particular your obsession with "marry only one"....wow, how can you be so misleading? The rest of the passage refers to marriage to 'two and three or four'.....

Last edited by cascade9; 08-24-2011 at 06:20 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration