LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Poll: You are a...
Poll Options
You are a...

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

firm believer
Deist
Theist
Agnostic
Atheist

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #2701
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,634
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelc View Post
Aren't Holy books written by men?
What's your point? In detail please.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #2702
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
Yes, I am the one responsible for my nearly life taking accident.
But that "nearly" word starts "doubts".
(IMO) When something unexplainable happens, it doesn't mean a god is responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
I couldn't find any apparent reasons
for my survival.
IMO, "you got lucky" pretty much explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
In a master-slave kind of relation, God (assuming
he exists and is a master) is not supposed to explain "why" and "how",
for the obvious reasons.
Well, in this case there's no problem in trying to destroy/banish it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
Who is forcing what?
Religion is inherited from parents. I still remember a christian that tried to brainwash me when I was a kid. (IMO) people should decide for themselves when they grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
I am not here for PROVING God or proving that something originates
from God. I wrote all my statements above [ASSUMING] God exists.
Again, I repeat religion is all about beliefs and a mental state.
Even if a god exists, why do you think that a feeling of danger can only originate directly from the god? God is meant to be a highest instance in entire universe, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
I have no clue why you keep on repeating in many threads in /General,
that your opinion is not going to change?
It means that arguing with me about this particular subject will be completely pointless, so somebody won't spend next 3 hours writing wall of text as a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
If there is no God then there is no question of a book being holy.
If a god can die, then there can be a holy book without a god.

Last edited by SigTerm; 08-19-2011 at 03:47 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #2703
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,634
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
It means that arguing with me about this particular subject will be completely pointless, so somebody won't spend next 3 hours writing wall of text as a reply.
This is a very arrogant reply. If you already know that talking to you is pointless,
then why do you quote out people's post? Anyway, I have zero interest in talking to
arrogant people.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #2704
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
This is a very arrogant reply.
(o_O)' ??? Now, where did THAT come from? Well, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
If you already know that talking to you is pointless, then why do you quote out people's post?
You should read more carefully. It means that arguing about this particular subject (indicated by "opinion that won't change") will be pointless. "Opinion won't change" is a warning. If you want to waste your time, you can ignore it.
And if you think my behavior is unacceptable, use "report" button.

Last edited by SigTerm; 08-19-2011 at 04:51 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #2705
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
In my opinion, when you know that you can rely only on yourself, nobody else is going to help you, and that you're the only person responsible for consequences of your decisions, you become stronger. Religious people have plenty of ways to say "devil made me do it" or get a false hope from their faith. Anyway, this is my opinion based on my life experience. It is very unlikely to change.
I find this exchange rather strange. You're arguing the utility of belief vs. non-belief, but that dances around the fundamental question...is it true? Personally, even if you could prove to me that religion was unequivocally a positive force in the world, it wouldn't matter to me at all. The only question I'm interested in is the truth of the claims. (Clearly I'm not a utilitarian in my moral reasoning. Speaking of moral reasoning, @Anisha Kaul, you don't need a divine book to have thought out the hows and whys of behavior and indeed many people read the Bible or other holy writ and come to very bad moral decisions. Just as clearly many atheists are very good people.)
 
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #2706
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,634
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
@Anisha Kaul, you don't need a divine book to have thought out the hows and whys of behavior
This has been explained in my replies to sycamorex.
Btw, I never said that it is "compulsory" to read the
holy book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
and indeed many people read the Bible or other holy writ and come to very bad moral decisions.
That is a generic statement. Not all holy books have
nonsense written in them, and even if you find something
unprovable e.g. the after life, heaven, and hells etc.,
you can chose to filter what you read.
I said previously, that "blindly" following any book,
holy or not, is not helpful.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #2707
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
I find this exchange rather strange. You're arguing the utility of belief vs. non-belief, but that dances around the fundamental question...is it true?
People already spent few years discussing "fundamental question" in this thread, so what's the problem with discussing utility for a while? (although the topic of utility have been already exhausted)

Last edited by SigTerm; 08-19-2011 at 06:51 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #2708
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,613
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
Perhaps you forgot that we were talking about holy books assuming
the God exists. Holy books and God go hand in hand. If there is no God
then there is no question of a book being holy.
See, I've got a problem here because I really don't assume that. I treat 'holy books' as books written by man that are
supposed to guide you and even as that the Bible (that's the only 'holy book' that I personally read) would probably be
one of the last books that I'd reach for in search of moral guidance. It's full of contradictions/mindless violence, stories
that teach anything but moral behaviour. Obviously, it's also got its good parts, but imagine the following situation:
You've got an English grammar book which tells you how to use English. (holy books are supposed to show you how to live).
Say you know that this grammar book contains a certain number of inconsistencies and mistakes. Would you ever spend a minute analysing
that book to pick up the mistakes and focus on 'good parts'? No, I'd think such a rule book is completely useless as any kind of guidance.
If you have to sieve through its pages applying YOUR (linguistic/moral) judgement in search of good parts, than, well, such a book would have no value for me whatsoever.
I am sure that there are hundreds of books written by non-divine authors (ie. humans) that offer better guidance on moral/philosophical issues than so-called 'holy books'. They may lack the beauty/literary value of some 'holy books' but they are honest, coherent and offer invaluable insight on how to live as an individual in a society without false promises and 'ugly parts.'

just my 2dinars
 
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #2709
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,634
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
See, I've got a problem here because I really don't assume that.
Perhaps it means you have not followed the thread thoroughly.
Assumption about the God's existence started with sigterm asking
ShaanAli something like "even if we assume that God exists,
how will you know whether he's lying or not"
, to which I
responded, assuming God exists.

If we take out the assumption of God's existence, then the discussion
won't make sense, since a holy book, is called holy only because it is
said to have a connection with God, otherwise we would be calling
it a book written by an <author name>, and all these lengthy talks
wouldn't have taken place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
...but imagine the following situation:
You've got an English grammar book which tells you how to use English. (holy books are supposed to show you how to live). Say you know that this grammar book contains a certain number of inconsistencies and mistakes. Would you ever spend a minute analysing that book to pick up the mistakes and focus on 'good parts'? No, I'd think such a rule book is completely useless as any kind of guidance.
To be honest and with NO intentions of advertising my religion,
I would state again, that I have read complete Ramayana
(epic depicting life of Lord Ram),and partial Bhagwad Gita (which
constitutes of questions of the human, and Lord Krishna giving answers),
I haven't found anything nonsensical/contradictions there, YET.

I said before too, if I find God talking nonsense there, I won't
be referring to that book again.

When I mentioned filtering what you read, I was in a way referring
to concepts like heaven/hell/lifeAfterDeath, and mythological stories.

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 08-19-2011 at 07:49 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #2710
nigelc
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Mageia 4
Posts: 309
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 52
birdie num num
birdie num num
all nonsense.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #2711
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
People already spent few years discussing "fundamental question" in this thread, so what's the problem with discussing utility for a while? (although the topic of utility have been already exhausted)
As a thought experiment, no problem. As an argument for or against religion, I think it's problematic, since I reject the notion that respect for religion should be based on its utility or lack thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul
That is a generic statement. Not all holy books have
nonsense written in them, and even if you find something
unprovable e.g. the after life, heaven, and hells etc.,
you can chose to filter what you read.
I said previously, that "blindly" following any book,
holy or not, is not helpful.
Yes, that is definitely a generic statement. The point of which is that holy books have no special claim to knowledge, moral or otherwise. Since it is required to filter out the nonsense, clearly your criteria and standard is coming from outside the religious tradition. Which is all I meant to say. As Mark Twain said, "We get our morals from books. I didn't get mine from books, but I know that morals do come from books- theoretically at least."

Quote:
To be honest and with NO intentions of advertising my religion,
I would state again, that I have read complete Ramayana
(epic depicting life of Lord Ram),and partial Bhagwad Gita (which
constitutes of questions of the human, and Lord Krishna giving answers),
I haven't found anything nonsensical/contradictions there, YET.

I said before too, if I find God talking nonsense there, I won't
be referring to that book again.
What would qualify as nonsense? I mean, Sita being abducted by a Demon King is nonsense if taken literally, right? More metaphorically, Rama's moral example of adhering to dharma is questionable at best, especially given that the concept of dharma was a tool used to enforce a pretty horrific caste system, right?
 
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #2712
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,140
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Sometime in the 17th Century (I think), a Bible was published with the commandment: Thou shalt commit adultery.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #2713
reed9
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 653

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Sometime in the 17th Century (I think), a Bible was published with the commandment: Thou shalt commit adultery.
Yup, The Wicked Bible of 1631.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #2714
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
As a thought experiment, no problem. As an argument for or against religion, I think it's problematic, since I reject the notion that respect for religion should be based on its utility or lack thereof.
My original argument was that I personally would not accept religion that treats humans as god's slaves AND that in my opinion even if deity really exists it might make sense to banish/destroy it in certain circumstances. It isn't exactly an argument against religion in general, but a personal disagreement with certain elements that are present in some religions.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #2715
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,634
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
What would qualify as nonsense? I mean, Sita being abducted by a Demon King is nonsense if taken literally, right?
First you cut off my statements in context, then you ask me questions?
Didn't you read the last statement which talked about avoiding (if you like)
the mythological stories?

If you are interested in bed-time stories, then you can very well use
Ramayana to lull the babies to sleep.
On the other hand one can even try to learn from the life of Lord Ram,
that how he was a dutiful son, husband, king, and man, Bharat as a dutiful
brother etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
Rama's moral example of adhering to dharma is questionable at best, especially given that the concept of dharma was a tool used to enforce a pretty horrific caste system, right?
I have no clue about "Manuscripti". Haven't read/heard it and don't know
anything about it.
Though I still remember from Ramayana that Lord Ram ate the impure fruit
by the hands of a schedule caste woman Shabri (during his exile),
and also I remember that Lord Krishna's girlfriend Radha, was a schedule
caste woman and his best friend Sudama, was schedule caste too, which
when in need of money turned to his friend, and Lord Krishna in return,
jumped off his throne to welcome him and washed his feet with his hands,
signaling welcome.

For the nth time I would repeat, I haven't read everything everywhere,
if and when I find "God" talking nonsense, then ...

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 08-19-2011 at 09:31 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 07:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 02:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 03:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration