LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Poll: You are a...
Poll Options
You are a...

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

firm believer
Deist
Theist
Agnostic
Atheist

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #2596
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 169Reputation: 169

Some people should really take reading lessons and some understanding that just because someone posts some links doesn't mean they formed their opinion ONLY because of those links but if you don't want open yourself for new stuff what can we do? This just prooves people who spend too much time on one thing misses plenty other stuff elsewhere. Life is too short to waste it...hope one day you will realise it. Peace.
p.s.Google for -> Junk DNA
 
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #2597
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,596
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046
Can anyone recommend any book about evolution that would be targeted at ordinary folks without much scientific background?
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #2598
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,651
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095
Never read it, but this was the first that came into my mind: http://www.dummies.com/store/product...470117737.html
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #2599
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Jerry Coyne - Why Evolution is True.

That's Dawkins minus the bullshit.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #2600
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,984

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
Can anyone recommend any book about evolution that would be targeted at ordinary folks without much scientific background?
Evolution, by Carl Zimmer. It has the benefit of being lavishly illustrated and highly entertaining.

Last edited by dugan; 08-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #2601
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,596
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046Reputation: 1046
Thanks a lot.
 
Old 08-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #2602
PrinceCruise
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: /Universe/Earth/India/Pune
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1/Current, CentOS 6.5/7.0
Posts: 792

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Nice twist in the thread, good to see :

100 pages on Jesus -> Some Random BS -> Quran is the Best you see -> F*Y* -> Evolution -> ........ Wow
 
Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #2603
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Rep: Reputation: 169Reputation: 169
All this discussion just supports this quote
"Maybe the atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman." Author Unknown
Why are people so afraid to face real truth or God or death? If you live your life properly and in harmony you have nothing to be afraid of when your time comes - what is destined to happen will happen anyway like it or not. If you want believe your life has no purpose and you are monkey or you are toy of some imaginary lame God then it is your choice but don't force this theory to others or block path to digg deeper for truth unless you can 100% proove your theory is only real valid truth out there. Also just because someone doesn't believe in evolution theory(yep this is still labeled as theory by science) doesn't make them believer of alien theory or god(s) theory. As some other member already said "Stop thinking in binary, unless you are machine." Some people are just truth seekers in general outside limits of science&religion without specific labels. Maybe this is the message that hides behind 2012 idea - that we will finally recognize real truth from bullsh*t. We have been living in control based society systems for way too long - maybe it is time to finally start open our eyes and accept that we are more than society thinks we are or wants us to believe in.. Think about it because you need it for yourself not for others.

*temp bans himself for while from LQ
 
Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #2604
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,651
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
evolution theory(yep this is still labeled as theory by science)
Of course it is. A theory is the highest rank in science, putting evolution in the same league as gravity, relativity and quantum physics, and they work pretty fine.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #2605
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,135
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Why are people so afraid to face real truth...?
We could face it if we knew it. Nobody does though, do they? All we know is theories and speculation.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #2606
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Why are people so afraid to face real truth or God or death?
There's a problem: nobody really knows what the truth is.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #2607
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Why are people so afraid to face real truth or God or death?
A good believer should have fear from God punishment. Then only he obeys. Such people generally dont have fear from death.
Believers who dont obey the rules, always have fear from death. (applies to most of us)
Non-believers have hidden fear, whatif there is real a God.
Believers are not afraid of whatif there is no God. because its not in their dictionary at all.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #2608
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,651
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaanAli View Post
A good believer should have fear from God punishment. Then only he obeys. Such people generally dont have fear from death.
Believers who dont obey the rules, always have fear from death. (applies to most of us)
Non-believers have hidden fear, whatif there is real a God.
Believers are not afraid of whatif there is no God. because its not in their dictionary at all.
If your god can only make the people believe with punishment he is doing something wrong. if he simply would show up people wouldn't have to believe, they would know.

And what is if you believe in the wrong god and obey to the wrong rules? Then all your believe is worth nothing.
I, as a not believing person, don't have to fear death, because there is nothing to fear about. If I am dead I am dead, that's it. Nothing more.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #2609
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
I, as a not believing person, don't have to fear death, because there is nothing to fear about. If I am dead I am dead, that's it. Nothing more.
This is very subjective. I don't consider myself religious, but at the same time, a simple cessation of existence is very, very disturbing to me. The idea of following a path which the universe has already set for you since the Big Bang (free will? Bah, humbug. A pointless illusion of no value except to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside.), which for all you know could be completely miserable (it's not like you have any real control over it), and then just kind of *stopping* after it's all said and done isn't exactly very reassuring.

Last edited by MrCode; 08-16-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: grammar
 
Old 08-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #2610
ShaanAli
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Bangalore, India
Distribution: RedHat 9, Sun solaris 10, Windows 2000
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
Questions:
1. So, you mean that if I pray to Lord Ram instead of Allah, Allah would have no problems with it, right? But then you say it is a sin to "pray someone else instead of GOD", and in that case since I consider "Lord Ram" rather than "Allah", as my God, Allah won't spare me? Contradictory statements?

2. What do you think "Kafir" means? What does Quran say about treatment of "Kafirs"?
You can call God by any name, but it should be beautiful. Quran has 99 names of God, Allah is preferred one.

1. You are asking to pray Ram instead of Allah. Well you can test Ram (or any other God) with 4 rules to know if he is really God or not:
a. He is Allah, the One and Only.
b. Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
c. He neither begets nor is born.
d. Nor is there to Him any equivalent.

If Ram is real God, why Allah will have issue with that because he will be the same. But unfortunately Ram does not fall with above rules to be a God. However based on all his characteristics he can be a messenger of God, but not God.

2. Kafir is arabic word, it means non-believer. Everyone (including Kafirs) will be judged & treated based on their deeds.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 07:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 02:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 03:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration