LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Poll: You are a...
Poll Options
You are a...

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

firm believer
Deist
Theist
Agnostic
Atheist

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #196
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,139
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
Of course he could mean that an appendix that size would cause
grieve abdominal pain, which might make people cranky.
Cheers,
Tink
Yeah. Take their appendices out and no more terrorism. Problem solved!
 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #197
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
Actually, what's the difference between a firm believer and a theist?
Theism — The belief that gods or deities exist and interact with the universe.

If your referring "firm believer" as believing in one god, that's called monotheism.

Basically Christianity and many others can fall under several categories.

Last edited by trickykid; 11-29-2007 at 05:32 PM.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #198
Grife
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Distribution: openSUSE
Posts: 89

Rep: Reputation: 15
I'm atheist. I see no reason to believe in some supernatural power within current evidence pointing towards such a phenomena, which this far in total is somewhere between nul and zero.

I do attend the local evangelist groups meetings and such for free food, drink, friendly chat and chicks. Inner atheism provides great flexibility when it comes to social networking - I could do the same thing in a muslim, hindu, taoist or shinto groups without feeling any kind of guilt or shame.
 
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #199
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,605
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Theism — The belief that gods or deities exist and interact with the universe.

If your referring "firm believer" as believing in one god, that's called monotheism.

Basically Christianity and many others can fall under several categories.
Ok, it makes sense now
thanks
 
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #200
rsashok
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: USA, CA
Distribution: RedHat, Debian
Posts: 202

Rep: Reputation: 31
Code:
I see no reason to believe in some supernatural power within current evidence pointing towards such a phenomena, which this far in total is somewhere between nul and zero
And what are these evidence? Last time I checked on the subject, science was stating that it cannot prove or disapprove existence of god. It remains a matter of faith: believe or not believe - that is the question? I don't know if there is a statistics about religiousness on people who are in science (and let face it: "computer science" - is not science at all!). But considering that scientific research is done in big cities which tend to be more liberal, it won't be surprising if majority of people in science are non religious. But that might be attributes to the fashion trend and environment rather then to the core believes.

There are many good books on the topic, I've read "Delusion of god" making case for evolution, and "Hidden face of god" - making case for supernatural presence. I recommend both: they are smart, convincing and enlightening, with pretense on 'scientific' truth in both. But after reading two of them one could realize that it still remains to his temperament with which camp to stay. Faith is called 'faith' not for nothing - it really is only a "Faith".
 
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #201
ciden
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: New Delhi, India
Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2010
Posts: 246
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
I am torn between realism and wishful thinking.
Religion is for those who cluster together for survival.
Religion does stop intrasocial violence. As for intersocial violence, its human nature.
If God is all powerful and nothing happens without his will, whether u believe or not, you are free to do anything you like.
Religions are just some form of government. Pay for protection(taxes) or rot in prison.
If there is a God, religion is an obvious insult because it equates God to a mere mortal replete with a horrible sadistic temper and preference for sycophancy.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #202
oskar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Austria
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
Posts: 1,138

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
In fact, Hitler was an atheist and considered conscience "eine
juedische Erfindung" (a jewish invention).



Cheers,
Tink
How that is relevant to anything remains a mystery however.
That seems to be an american thing... compare everything with hitler and the nazis, no matter how irrelevant. Why is that?
Not to mention that you are wrong. I think he was a christian by conviction... he even intoduced a church tax... I think at best the topic is disputed. That doesn't change a thing on how staggeringly irrelevant it is to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
You are contradicting yourself. If you can't know, you can't be an atheist. Atheists do pretend to know. If you're just an extreme sceptic, you should call yourself agnostic instead.
You were not responding to me, but I'll answer anyway.
Just because you cannot disprove something doesn't mean it has any merit.

Something has to be proven rather than disproved, because you cannot disprove any imaginary figure... That doesn't mean you would call yourself a skeptic as to whether or not the tooth fairy and gnomes really exist.
I don't say I'm absolutely sure that no god exists. I give the existence of the christian god a chance of less one in a billion. The chance of any god whatsoever are much greater, but still nothing I would bet on; unless I'm getting a million to one on my money.

Atheism is not a matter of believe. (I never thought I had to clarify THAT)

Last edited by oskar; 12-02-2007 at 03:36 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #203
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,005
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
That doesn't change a thing on how staggeringly irrelevant it is to this thread.
Well, my trolling friend ... maybe you want to tell the person
who introduced the topic to this thread that. I don't feel
responsible for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
Atheism is not a matter of believe. (I never thought I had to clarify THAT) :)
Of course it is; and you haven't clarified anything. You're still
only throwing about statements of your own convictions. :}



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #204
Mega Man X
Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Rep: Reputation: 63
I still believe in God, but God no longer believes in me...
 
Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #205
oskar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Austria
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
Posts: 1,138

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
Of course it is; and you haven't clarified anything. You're still
only throwing about statements of your own convictions. :}
It's in the definition of the word! An Atheist does not believe in any deity. You might say non-believer in gods... non-theist.
Atheism is the very absence of believe... Calling it a believe just makes no sense.
One might say you are an atheist regarding all gods besides Jehovah. You are not skeptic about the existence of Hercules, Ed-Rai, Shiva and Ah Puch... (You haven't said what you believe... if you think Ah Puch is the real deal... just bear with me for the sake of the argument).
And it doesn't take any believe for you NOT to believe in those.
It's exactly the same for me, but for me Jehova takes no special place.
Neither does any god that should have created or caused something that we haven't figured out yet. (rain, agriculture, floods, eclipses... have already been taken away from the gods - for most people) - Creation still remains... But I don't feel like filling all the gaps in my understanding with a deity. That way of thinking has been wrong so many times, It only makes sense that it will still be wrong when we figure out the 'Creation' of the Universe.

Last edited by oskar; 12-02-2007 at 08:47 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #206
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,005
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
If it was dis-(or non-)belief it would be called apistism (pisteuo, v gr.: to believe).
You're still not great with language. No wonder you can't argue properly if you're
confusing the meanings of words. ;}



Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #207
oskar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Austria
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
Posts: 1,138

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
When people result to insult, what does that tell you about their place in an argument?

Non-theism means the same thing... just look it up. Words don't always mean what you get out of a literal interpretation... But what would A-theism mean literally?

I would get off that high horse if I were you... dude, you were wrong about the meaning of "ripe"...

Last edited by oskar; 12-02-2007 at 09:11 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #208
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,005
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
When people result to insult, what does that tell you about their place in an argument?
I'm not insulting you; I'm reiterating a behaviour that you've
been displaying throughout this thread. You're not going to
expect me to be more politically correct than you are? :}

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
Non-theism means the same thing... just look it up.
Which definition is oskar-proof?
This one?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
I would get off that high horse if I was you... dude you were wrong about the meaning of "ripe"...
I had one person contradict. Here it's very common use
in the sense that I used it. Unless you're a fruit calling
yourself ripe will give you the same result it had with me.

Last edited by Tinkster; 12-02-2007 at 09:14 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #209
oskar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Austria
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10
Posts: 1,138

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
I'm not insulting you; I'm reiterating a behaviour that you've
been displaying throughout this thread. You're not going to
expect me to be more politically correct than you are? :}
I'm not attacking anyone personally. Only you are.


Quote:
Which definition is oskar-proof?
This one?
What's that for? If you look in any any Encyclopedia, it will tell you that Non-theism is the alternative word for it. I just don't know how you interpret any believe system in the word atheist. It just means without-god-ism It clearly needs a definition behind it.


Quote:
I had one person contradict. Here it's very common use
in the sense that I used it. Unless you're a fruit calling
yourself ripe will give you the same result it had with me.
Ripe means ripe... you were wrong - get used to it. I know I have.

Last edited by oskar; 12-02-2007 at 09:29 PM.
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #210
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,005
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
What's that for? If you look in any any Encyclopedia, it will tell you that Non-theism is the alternative word for it. I just don't know how you interpret any believe system in the word atheist. It just means without-god-ism It clearly needs a definition behind it.
As I said. Non-belief (if we stick to greek) would be
apistism. I think that the dictionary definition I posted
the link to makes it quite clear that atheism is a belief
or conviction about the non-existence of God. But as I said:
you're not very good with words ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
Ripe means ripe... you were wrong - get used to it. I know I have.
Heh. If you were you wouldn't start silly threads on such
controversial topics :}
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 07:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 02:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 03:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration