LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 165 28.75%
Deist 18 3.14%
Theist 23 4.01%
Agnostic 120 20.91%
Atheist 248 43.21%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #1786
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53

Quote:
Don't know if you're counting me among the people who are rejecting
I can only judge (sic) based on what I hear you say. As of yet I've not heard that you believe Jesus is God's Son, nor that he died to pay our penalty for human sin, nor that he was literally raised from the dead. Ultimately, Christ ascended visibly to heaven, is at the right hand of God, and will return quite literally. This is what I confess is fundamental to being in fact a Christian. Do you recognize such as this, or reject it?
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #1787
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,205

Rep: Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
I can only judge (sic) based on what I hear you say. As of yet I've not heard that you believe Jesus is God's Son, nor that he died to pay our penalty for human sin, nor that he was literally raised from the dead. Ultimately, Christ ascended visibly to heaven, is at the right hand of God, and will return quite literally. This is what I confess is fundamental to being in fact a Christian. Do you recognize such as this, or reject it?
I have to prove nothing to you, and certainly don't have to answer any of your questions. I don't need your stamp of approval, and wouldn't want it, based on your poor logic, reasoning, and (from what I've read), tenuous grasp on things.

This site is not the place to start religion based threads...the moderators will allow this to continue as long as they see fit. After that, I'm sure you'll whine about "censorship", and how no one is letting you spread the "truth", and start another thread in the same vein. Lather, rinse, repeat...as I've said before, I don't like to feed the trolls, and think you've certainly been fed enough here.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #1788
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Sorry TBone. I thought by your lead into your last comment, you wondered whether I considered you to be Christian. That's my definition. And the only reason I asked you, is that it's by "confession," with our lips (sic) we are justified.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #1789
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,205

Rep: Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Sorry TBone. I thought by your lead into your last comment, you wondered whether I considered you to be Christian. That's my definition. And the only reason I asked you, is that it's by "confession," with our lips (sic) we are justified.
I didn't wonder, or care, what you considered to be true or not. Still don't. I am, whether you think so or not.

Your definitions of things are not too firmly defined, and I'm confident that no matter WHAT anyone says, you'll pick it apart, and say "See?? I KNEW he/she/it wasn't! Only *I* know the TRUTH!".
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #1790
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,562

Rep: Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
I'm confident that no matter WHAT anyone says, you'll pick it apart, and say "See?? I KNEW he/she/it wasn't! Only *I* know the TRUTH!".
No, he usually skips the bolded part.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #1791
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
no matter WHAT anyone says, you'll pick it apart, and say "See?? I KNEW he/she/it wasn't! Only *I* know the TRUTH!".
Actually, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Evangelical Christians who would agree. I'm not the only one, nor do I claim to be. Just because the people with "leverage" here seem to disagree, doesn't mean I'm an island.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #1792
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Actually, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Evangelical Christians who would agree. I'm not the only one, nor do I claim to be. Just because the people with "leverage" here seem to disagree, doesn't mean I'm an island.
A number of people that share opinion means nothing. Millions of people can be wrong.
Even if there are people that agree with you, it doesn't mean you're right. Any number of people can be mistaken, and any number of people can share same misconceptions.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #1793
Blinker_Fluid
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Clinging to my guns and religion.
Posts: 682

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTerm View Post
A number of people that share opinion means nothing. Millions of people can be wrong.
Even if there are people that agree with you, it doesn't mean you're right. Any number of people can be mistaken, and any number of people can share same misconceptions.
See --> Global Warming. :stirpot:
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #1794
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
A number of people that share opinion means nothing. Millions of people can be wrong.
I'm not using numbers as a basis for my position, but as an answer to part of TBone's assumption:

Quote:
Only *I* know the TRUTH!".
As though I claim to have a monopoly on truth. There are many besides me.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #1795
moxieman99
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: Dabble, but latest used are Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 10.4.1
Posts: 413

Rep: Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
God created us "in his image," with regard to his character, not substance.
There is nothing in the Bible to support your "Character/Substance" statement. The problem with most religions is that people conflate their own arguments of "therefore it must be" with what is actually stated in whatever one's sacred books are. I am not so egoistical as to exault my status and my beliefs to that of the divine.

There is the Bible, and then there are your version of it and my version of it. The three are not the same. Know your place.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #1796
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
The 7 of you rejecting it just proves either your blindness, your carelessness, or your irrationality.
By the way, doesn't your behavior qualify for the sin of pride? I might be mistaken here, but you seem to think that people that are not believing in christ are "blind", "careless" or "irrational". I.e. inferior - to you. Plus you were interested in number of thread views that is normally unheard of on a forum (people worry about hits only if they're talking about adsense and their website, which isn't the case in this situation). Overall this doesn't exactly fit the behavior of a "good christian" (at least not according to information I've been exposed to during the course of my life).
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #1797
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
By the way, doesn't your behavior qualify for the sin of pride?
If there is some ego in it, yet it's in check, at least as was that of the Apostle Paul, who said, But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #1798
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,535
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999
@bluegospel

The only reason I (and probably most of the people who viewed this thread) clicked on it is because of the obscure thread title. The fact that out of this huge number
only a few members replied to you probably means that most are really fed up with the topic.

Enjoy your trolling session

I'm out.
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #1799
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Rep: Reputation: 53
As of yet, I've heard a lot of rhetoric, but very little question regarding the answers I've given your original challenges, besides your purport of my "blatently poor logic."
 
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #1800
AnanthaP
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Chennai, India
Distribution: UBUNTU 5.10 since Jul-18,2006 on Intel 820 DC
Posts: 607

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
Quote:
Your soul is the basis of what you are, your being, in the context of eternity. Your spirit is joined to your soul as your "light," giving you sight and sensation. (For now, these are joined to your body).
Questions.
Whats the context of eternity?
Humans have 9 sockets (including nose, mouth etc and excluding pores). Are any of these used to join the spirit to the body?
 
  


Reply

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The touchpad "tapping" questions answers and solutions mega-thread tommytomthms5 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 4 10-30-2007 06:01 PM
What is your religion? jspenguin General 9 04-25-2004 01:28 PM
New Religion (no linux in this thread, sorry) Calum General 9 02-13-2003 02:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration