LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Clueless View Post
Yeah, like everyone else I've seen all the conspiracy stuff, but that's straying off the point somewhat. My beef is simply that the net is becoming just another orifice for the mainstream media to spray its sewage. It's becoming trashy and worthless as a result. I'm sick of seeing all this junk about that wretched Kardashian woman and her obnoxious family and all the other 'celebrity' orientated garbage that wasters who read the National Enquirer and such like enjoy. Don't want any of that every time I want to check for e-mail. Don't want any adverts. Don't want any movies. Don't want any pictures at all, actually. Just tech info on any subject and informed discussion like it used to be back in the day. Oh - and don't mind paying for it. If the price of having a 'free internet' involves plastering it with mind-rotting trash about the NFL, Justin Bieber and Hollywood gossip then I want out of it. I want my monthly sub to go to a small, independent community of tech people providing a valuable, worthwhile and crap-free service. If, on the other hand, I really want to destroy my mind with 'junk food for the soul' I can simply turn on my TV or read any newspaper. What's happening to the concept of choice??
You can't do much about the content available on the Internet, but you can use a few workarounds to get a more convenient Internet experience:
- Don't want to bombarded with ads? Use an Adblocker for your browser or run a Privoxy server.
- Think about using a mail-client instead of the web-interface.
- If you don't want pictures rendered by default just disable them in your browser's settings.
- Don't want movies (usually Flash), install a Flashblock plugin for your browser.

Possibly more, but this way you should at least get a little bit what you want.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
w1k0
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Mint
Posts: 1,240

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
First:

1. NoScript (disable JavaScripts)

then:

2. Flashblock (disable Flash (including some ads))

and:

3. Adblock Plus (disable some ads)

as TobiSGD said.

***

And don’t feed Google and Bing.

Last edited by w1k0; 03-09-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: changing the order
 
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,028

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
The fact that someone or all the people laugh at you not necessary means that you’re right.
And there is exactly where all the problems merge together today, because:
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” ― Michael Ellner
Everything is so wrong so it looks like right, everything that is right looks wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Clueless View Post
...Now I want to go further and get rid of Google, Yahoo, Youtube (all the same thing now) Apple
For a search engine duckduckgo is a good alternative, there are others too, the only thing I have been using google for is to find images. There is still useful stuff on youtube not all is lost. Take this as example, some classes about IP Addresses and Subnetting.

Regards
 
Old 03-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
w1k0
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Mint
Posts: 1,240

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
That finds the images or the videos and isn’t Google at the same time:

https://startpage.com
 
Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #20
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
First:

1. NoScript (disable JavaScripts)

then:

2. Flashblock (disable Flash (including some ads))

and:

3. Adblock Plus (disable some ads)

as TobiSGD said.

***

And don’t feed Google and Bing.
I agree, I use all those and duckduckgo. Ghostery may also be useful.

I would never be able to browse the internet without some form of ad blocking. I don't think many people realize what the internet has become until they stop using these. I won't even mention all the plans for targeted ads in your car in your home using cameras and mics in you "smart" TV ... just read slashdot. The advertising companies are aggressive and malevolent and they try to make it seem like it's something necessary, a necessary method of funding, and that you should accept the ads shoved down your throat, all those flashing obnoxious pop-ups. To do otherwise is not democratic they claim. They wrinkle their noses at do not track flags and tell you that they do so. Well, if only I could send a message back to them, it would be a flashing hand with the middle finger extended on flashing background with appropriate wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
And there is exactly where all the problems merge together today, because:
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” ― Michael Ellner
Everything is so wrong so it looks like right, everything that is right looks wrong.
The quote is mostly accurate, but too absolute. There are those who break from this mold, especially for people they know and trust. Do you really think that anything other than this is possible within the system ? Do you think they would let people do otherwise. You would lose your job or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
I was born in the communist country long after Joseph Stalin and stalinism died. Before I grew up communism in my country lost most of his teeth (though our gap-toothed government managed to introduce a Martial Law for a few years).
Same here, but not Poland. My great grandparents lost all of their wealth, which was very substantial, they were tortured and never seen again (probably dead). My grandparents were tortured but let off. I remember all too well the feeling of oppression, the meaning of censorship and self-censorship that was needed. There were many close calls, but eventually we managed to escape. You know what scares me ... that I hear the same words they used then, the same policies, the same tactics, the same feeling I had then today in the most "democratic" of countries. If you don't know this or realize it, then I guess what they say is true, those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

As for conspiracy theories and theorists, I know they are hated everywhere. They are just paranoid fools, right ? You might be right, but what do you risk if you are wrong ? I think you risk so much that you dare not even think about it. You disregard conspiracy theories because you are so integrated and dependent on the system that you cannot accept the world if they were true. I'm not saying that conspiracy theories are true, nor that I believe in them. I believe what makes sense to me, and no conspiracy theory proposed by others has ever been 100% correct. Why ? Because you can't prove conspiracy theories. If you can, your days would be numbered. I know you don't believe it, but if you care and you look carefully you will see it.

I see it in all people around me, they are afraid to think. They can never even consider any theories that are not mainstream, the fear wouldn't let them, they would go mad.
 
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,293
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855
Apologies to the OP for this OT post (I'm contemplating moving it to a new thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
This is a very thin line to walk over I know
No, actually it isn't. This one's particularly black and white. I'll make it clear for you. The first two links you posted play "pin the tail" and attribute about all that's bad in the authors eyes to one particular family name and one particular organization, and when you get to the bottom of it, one particular race. This means in essence this is about racial bias. Since you have posted them I assert you agree with what's written in the first two links you posted. It however leaves me wondering if you 0) were aware of the racial bias aspect and 1) if you agree with how it's used.
 
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1k0 View Post
It seems to me that you guys (and gals) visit the wrong websites. Don’t do that. Don’t read/watch/listen the shit. If you can’t find the right content at all start your own website or blog. It’s simple.
This is it, in a nutshell. I don't use Facebook, I don't use any Google services, I don't look at mainstream media websites, etc. Just like I don't watch TV. I hang out in Linux forums, and seek out the info that I want to know, not that which is spoon-fed to me.

When I began using the internet in 1990, I was a member of WELL (Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link). It was a great community. This, of course, was prior to the WWW, so everything was text-based. Good times, great discussions back then.

Then along came Compuserve, Prodigy, AOL, etc. The gradual dumbing-down of the 'net began. But still, the good stuff is out there, you just gotta find it and participate. Like right here in this forum.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,028

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
.... in the authors eyes to one particular family name and one particular organization, and when you get to the bottom of it, one particular race.
The author doesn't go against any race or group(me neither), there is nothing about racism on it but about inform and understand who is responsible for the problems humanity suffers today.

Quote:
Please, therefore, do not automatically assume someone you see with the name Rothschild or any of the names listed above are part of the Rothschild criminal network. Furthermore and most importantly, the majority of Ashkenazi Jews are innocent and not part of this network. Check the facts out for yourself first, this article is designed to inform people who the enemy is, not single out people of a particular race or people with a particular surname, who may have nothing to do with this Rothschild criminal network.
Think about this: if you take the enemy's uniform to disguise yourself the ones supposed to be friends will see you as enemy but the enemy will see you as friend. That is what is going on. It is all disguised, it is hard to see because it is right in front of our eyes. How about infiltration and deception.

Entire nations been used and manipulated, by this criminal network, through many things not just the media, it is all right in front of our eyes, people just can't see it because everyone born looking at it, "looks normal". But people is starting to realize there is something so wrong going on.
How many people in the internet have you seen talking about something related to it, directly or indirectly lately? lots of people, and more and more are showing up, because no one like the way things are going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Clueless View Post
It seems more and more apparent that the net as we used to know it is being squeezed out; the early ethos behind it and its free-thinking, tech-minded proponents are being increasingly marginalized and I for one don't like this progression one bit.
Me neither.

The enemy knows the internet has became a tool for us to teach each other to talk and share information and they don't like it, they don't want it to keep going. And the internet isn't the only thing been squeezed out, education, health, you named it.

Regards
 
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #24
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,298

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
Here some links about what is going on in the world, put the pieces together and you'll see the big picture:
http://www.iamthewitness.com/DarylBr...ith_Rothschild
http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...hild_bloodline
If you have read the 2 links above when you look at this link http://www.rothschild.com/ you'll understand.
I only got as far as the first sentence of the second paragraph in your first link... which is not at all based on fact.

//edit: I also notice that you link to David Icke in your signature... enough said...

//edit2: @Completely Clueless - I have to agree with your original post. I'm afraid it's the way of the world in that everything good which has the potential to benefit the many, has been corrupted and exploited for the profits and gain of a select few.

Last edited by cynwulf; 03-11-2013 at 10:08 AM.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,377

Rep: Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108Reputation: 1108
The Internet is constantly re-inventing itself, and that process is happening all over again right now. "The web site," as we know it today, is dying. People want information and they want entertainment, and they don't want to have to "go to 'a place'" to get these things. They don't want advertising on that place. It's becoming quite clear to many people that advertising on the Internet really doesn't work. Things like "SEO," which briefly tried to present itself as a profession, certainly don't work.

People will always be people. Give some of them a "bully pulpit" and sure enough, they turn out to be bigots or worse. But you know, the world's a big place and we're all big boys and girls (well, most of us are ...) and therefore it's quite easy to avoid ... them.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,293
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki View Post
The author doesn't go against any race or group(me neither), there is nothing about racism on it
Saying something is true doesn't make it true ;-p As far as I'm concerned you don't have to openly declare your allegiances anyway since it is already clear you support those texts. I'll leave you with your own words of judgment of others:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiuki
If you really think like this then you already lost.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,293
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravel View Post
I also notice that you link to David Icke in your signature... enough said...
Indeed.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #28
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,028

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
@unspawn I ain't judging nobody, don't twist what I'm trying to share with people, I mean no harm to nobody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravel View Post
...I have to agree with your original post. I'm afraid it's the way of the world in that everything good which has the potential to benefit the many, has been corrupted and exploited for the profits and gain of a select few...
That is what I'm talking about.
"There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed." - Mahatma Gandhi

Most people doesn't see what is going on, the reality people live today is just a painting in from of their eyes.
Ask yourself(I been asking myself) while you are comfortably sitting in your chair watching TV or in front of your computer there are several wars going on in the world, Syria, Lybia, Egipt, Iraq, Afeghanistan, Malaysia, N-Korea testing Nuclear Bombs, etc etc, and the majority dieing are civilians.
Who really want wars? I for sure don't. Do you?
“Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” Hermann Goering
Tibet Monks suffering oppression, Amazon Rain Forest being cutting down to ground, it is not alright, why is this happening, why don't we do something about it? Because the of painting in front of our eyes we can't really see what is going on.
Take the matrix as example if you like:
"The matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes, to blind you from the truth." - Morpheus

"Unfortunately no one can be told what the matrix is, you have to see it for yourself." - Morpheus
Honestly I don't know why i keep doing this, then I remember:
"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Mahatma Gandhi
Multiplied propagation is what the main stream media does, bombing peoples minds over and over with misinformation, there is nothing wrong about entertainment but they do use it excessively, repeating, repeating, keeping people distracted, taking attention away from what really matters. It doesn't show what people must see.
See for yourself, Amber Lyon talking out the true about what the main stream media does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDC7zmJgQg

You don't have to take my word just because Im saying all this, go and do your own research, find out for yourself.
"Unfortunately no one can be told what the matrix is, you have to see it for yourself." - Morpheus

Regards
 
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
freebsd_Rules_All_OSes
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I remember the old days of the internet. You get a shell account and you telnet to other systems to use their services such as www, gopher and etc. it was cool...

As for today, there's not much you can do. The internet is ever changing. We just got to go with the flow.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
ukiuki
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 1,028

Rep: Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebsd_Rules_All_OSes View Post
...We just got to go with the flow...
No you don't have. You are a free person not a slave of the flow(matrix or system).

"You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind." Morpheus
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds." Bob Marley

Regards
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DISCUSSION: Linux Desktop Distributions headed in Wrong direction?? Hitboxx LQ Articles Discussion 4 08-01-2006 05:15 PM
LXer: Opinion: Linux distros are headed in the wrong direction LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-30-2006 08:21 AM
LQ May be Headed to LinuxWorld UK jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 22 09-06-2004 07:55 PM
So where are the hackers headed? tisource Linux - General 14 05-02-2003 03:49 PM
Dual Headed Console sw1tchb0ard Linux - General 6 08-08-2002 12:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration