LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: What BDFL(s) do you like best? (Mark all that apply).
Richard Stallman 9 28.13%
Linus Torvalds 15 46.88%
Bob Young/Mark Ewing 0 0%
Ron Houvsepian 0 0%
Jeremy Garcia (think: LQ User #1) 9 28.13%
Mark Shuttleworth 1 3.13%
Clement Lefebvre 1 3.13%
Steve Ballmer (**DON'T** select this unless you're a M$ troll!!) 18 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #46
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199

Well why even list Ballmer in the first place? You pretty much walked right into that one.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #47
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebizz View Post
Well why even list Ballmer in the first place? You pretty much walked right into that one.
So fellow Linux users and I could flame at anybody who selected it. Oops, sorry, that means Linux users in this case who decided to abuse the poll and select Ba££mer only because Volkerding wasn't on the poll -- and even then the reason Volkerding isn't there is an accident that couldn't be fixed because the Mods don't allow poll editing.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #48
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn

So fellow Linux users and I could flame at anybody who selected it.
So let me get this straight, your intention for this thread was a flame war? Hrmm, I wonder how the mods would feel about this. First the malicious code, now this? Whats next? I'm shocked, appalled, befuddled...

Who knew you had such a darkside...
 
Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #49
easuter
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Portugal
Distribution: Slackware64 13.0, Slackware64 13.1
Posts: 538

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
So fellow Linux users and I could flame at anybody who selected it.
Looks like you fell into your own trap then.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #50
honeybadger
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: India
Distribution: Slackware (mainly) and then a lot of others...
Posts: 847

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
'Walked into his own trap'.... man the people using linux are rebels at the core. I still somehow cannot get the picture I saw a while ago that had Linus standing at a winduhs 7 (choke) counter and giving it a thumbs up. For some reason I expect these people to do something unexpected.
@kenny - have heart man. I did NOT vote for Ballmer. I like Linus - very cool and down-to-earth. Managing a bunch of hackers of this caliber is no joke. RMS is someone who is someone Ballmer would not like to meet in a dark deserted street at night. Well as far as jeremy is concerned he will _always_ get my vote.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #51
Jeebizz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64-bit with multilib
Posts: 2,074

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack

man the people using linux are rebels at the core.
So not one Linux user uses Windows? Do you speak for all Linux users? I really don't identify myself as any kind of 'rebel' for using Linux. Actually in most cases I don't mind using either Windows or Linux depending on what I am trying to accomplish or what is available to me at that time.

Besides 'rebel Linux users' would imply that they are indeed rather zealous, and to me that just serves no real helpful purpose. It lumps the rest of the Linux community as nothing more but zealous fanboys, so much so that in fact their zealotry tends to provoke actions and rhetoric that really reflects poorly on the Linux community. *cough*
 
Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #52
rsciw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Essex (UK)
Distribution: Home: Debian/Ubuntu, Work: Ubuntu
Posts: 206

Rep: Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
I still somehow cannot get the picture I saw a while ago that had Linus standing at a winduhs 7 (choke) counter and giving it a thumbs up.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_COt6T7Tmrok/Su...2/dsc_1576.jpg
from here

http://picasaweb.google.com/cschlaeg...LinuxSymposium
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #53
eveningsky339
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Western Maine
Distribution: PCLinuxOS (LXDE)
Posts: 466

Rep: Reputation: 51
I'm seriously considering creating a second account so I can vote for Ballmer again.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #54
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,563
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024
ROTFL.
This is going to be my wallpaper for December.
 
Old 11-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #55
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Torvlads is hilarious. LOL @ Windows 7 thing.
 
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #56
honeybadger
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: India
Distribution: Slackware (mainly) and then a lot of others...
Posts: 847

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Dont really know how to say this but we are rebels. We are the people who would not follow the crowd. We would rather go through the nightmare of our first installation, the execution of our first disaterous commands and loosing data we read a ton of man pages and info pages, enter some commands (look at some scripts in programming section) that a duhs sysadmin would shiver looking at. And to top it all we still love linux . It looks like fanboy craze.
There are some computer enginers I know who have spent a good 3.5 years in college learning what god alone knows who cannot write a batch file for xpee. Some of these guys know exsistance of something called unix (one of them thought that unix was something that would make windows xpee faster and more secure!). One of these guys saw my pc boot and asked me why was I using dos (!), he works as a programmer for an antivirus company I gently led him out of my room and asked him did he want coffee before he left. This guy knew unix but then did not know linux.
I look at the linux community and I find that the community is upright and very independent. I am proud to be a member of this community which has given me so much and has never asked for anything back.
So if people say I am a fanboy it is ok. I do _not_ understand c or even shell scripting but then I am sure if I ask around I will get an answer. So yes I am a fanboy but then there are some mature indivudals in the community and I respect them but still at heart I think I will always be a linux fanboy and a rebel.
 
Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #57
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Dont really know how to say this but we are rebels. We are the people who would not follow the crowd. We would rather go through the nightmare of our first installation, the execution of our first disaterous commands and loosing data we read a ton of man pages and info pages, enter some commands (look at some scripts in programming section) that a duhs sysadmin would shiver looking at. And to top it all we still love linux . It looks like fanboy craze.
There are some computer enginers I know who have spent a good 3.5 years in college learning what god alone knows who cannot write a batch file for xpee. Some of these guys know exsistance of something called unix (one of them thought that unix was something that would make windows xpee faster and more secure!). One of these guys saw my pc boot and asked me why was I using dos (!), he works as a programmer for an antivirus company I gently led him out of my room and asked him did he want coffee before he left. This guy knew unix but then did not know linux.
I look at the linux community and I find that the community is upright and very independent. I am proud to be a member of this community which has given me so much and has never asked for anything back.
So if people say I am a fanboy it is ok. I do _not_ understand c or even shell scripting but then I am sure if I ask around I will get an answer. So yes I am a fanboy but then there are some mature indivudals in the community and I respect them but still at heart I think I will always be a linux fanboy and a rebel.
Linux is not rebellious, it's an alternative. I do agree though, it's little-known compared to Mac or Windows.
 
Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #58
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,563
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Dont really know how to say this but we are rebels. We are the people who would not follow the crowd. .
Speak for yourself. I'm not a rebel. Besides, nobody is going to tell me who I am

I like following the crowd. Recently I've been following the 'IT Crowd' and it suits me well, LOL
 
Old 11-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #59
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,782
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413
Quote:
Dont really know how to say this but we are rebels. We are the people who would not follow the crowd.
Don't know quite how to tell you this, but I use Linux because 1) it works and 2) it saves my business some serious cash.
 
Old 11-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #60
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Well, I use Linux because it's great and I hate Window$ and M$.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bdfl, preferences


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Source Code Superthread Kenny_Strawn General 31 11-05-2012 10:02 PM
The DE Wars Kenny_Strawn General 41 06-14-2010 04:12 AM
Guild Wars? dacpkbeast Linux - Games 5 04-08-2009 11:03 AM
Modem Wars NCC-1701&NCC-1701-D LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories 6 06-29-2005 12:22 PM
sig wars isajera General 10 09-29-2001 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration