My google searches didn't really turn up anything too
promising, so I wanted to ask you guys and gals if you know a hardware/software combo that meets the following requirements:
- Wireless Access Point (802.11g/b)
- Can host static HTML/CSS/ECMCA script/jpg files (a scripting language and database would be the icing on the cake)
- Once a user connects to the WAP, they will be directed to a website (I see this at hotels all the time - how do they do it?)
- Open Source - preferably Linux powered (so obvy but BSD is kewl too)
- Solar Powered or Low Power requirements (I can solarize if need-be but I know someone out there has already had this idea - and they are a linux geek too)
Essentially I've got a Non-Profit organization with a lot of open natural land, they lead hikes and tours and I'd love for the techies to be able to connect to a WAP and browse trailmaps and such. Of course tons more ideas can come to mind but I'd like to start simple.
I originally wanted to homebrew the whole thing from some sort of ARM based Linux From Scratch
type fantasy setup that I will never have the time to ever see through. But I'd much rather build off of, and contribute to something that's already established and totally open sourced. I'm also not opposed to commercial solutions if they are FLOSS friendly.