LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Mega Man X
Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Rep: Reputation: 63
Thumbs up So... was my long review of Ubuntu too biased?


I am just so impressed with this OS... I did the best I could:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/review...hp?product=827

Review #9 is mine. I am open for comments =)
 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man X View Post
I am just so impressed with this OS... I did the best I could:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/review...hp?product=827

Review #9 is mine. I am open for comments =)
I use Debian myself, but I can understand how people have appreciated Ubuntu because of its slick features and its user-friendliness. The two reasons I don't use Ubuntu though is:

1. sudo
2. lack of development tools by default

I know both can be remedied very easily, but it's just that I have kept Debian for such a long time that I don't feel like using any other distribution. Besides, most tutorials available for Ubuntu also work (with a few minor modifications) on Debian.

I might install Ubuntu at some stage myself, but I'm more than happy with Debian at the moment.
 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Lord Ghost
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: 15
You really should try 32 bit, even on a 64 bit system. Runs fast, smooth, no issues with Skype et al.

Everything just works.

64 bit is still in teething pains stage. And will be for the next few years, IMHO. The hardware always goes ahead of the software.
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Micro420
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4
Posts: 2,986

Rep: Reputation: 45
Good review and should be helpful for people who are interested in Ubuntu. Too bad I'm the #1 Ubuntu hater!
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Takla
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 188

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Cons: None
*cough*

every distro has cons, every DE, every OS. As soon as you claim no cons I can't take your review as credible. I have used Ubuntu in the past and I installed Hardy to compare it with its parent Debian and with Arch. Ubuntu does indeed have cons, some of which are quite apparent, a few are severe, and there are some which a user might not be aware of if they haven't tried other distros. I noticed the only comparisons you make are with MS Windows which is a valid comparison for some people but rather narrow.

I'm not detailing what I think are Ubuntu's pros and cons (it certainly has both) as this thread is about your review and not Ubuntu per se.

What is a "review" that claims no cons and makes no worthwhile comparisons with competing products? Advertising/propaganda/fanboyism/ take your pick, but it isn't a review.
 
Old 07-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
2damncommon
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Calif, USA
Distribution: Debian Wheezy
Posts: 2,838

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar View Post
The two reasons I don't use Ubuntu though is:

1. sudo
2. lack of development tools by default
The sudo thing is nothing. Consider "sudo su -"

But if you are happy with Debian there really is no reason to talk yourself into *buntu.
 
Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Mega Man X
Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 63
Hey, thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate your honesty =). Maybe saying there was no cons was a bit biased. I believe most of the small, small issues as I had (as with Skype) are quite x86_64 related. I wish I could compare Ubuntu to other distributions, but I've not run any Linux at home for quite sometime. Except for DSL on my Xbox =). I do have FreeBSD and Solaris, but I don't think either of those has the same focus on the desktop as Ubuntu does.

Another thing I don't particularly like is the default brown theme. That again, is more a taste issue ratter than usability, so I left that one out. Looks are important if they compromise the usability, for example, I can't sit on a machine with ugly fonts. If Ubuntu had default ugly fonts, that would probably be mentioned =)

Still, while I don't like the theme, I find it is important for Linux (a distribution in this case), to have a face. Something that makes them look different from other distros and even other OS. We all know how XP looks by default, or OSX. And for that, I think Ubuntu did... something. Still, in terms of polish, I'd give that to openSuSE

Well, have to run for work... again.

Thanks again!
 
Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Nice review. Since I'm no gamer, I had no clue that it was actually that good.
If you don't like the default look, try this theme by this French guy, he makes some absolutely amazing themes. They make suse look like dirt, seriously .
They can also be found on gnome-look.org and should have instructions in both French and English.
There is another amazing theme called Elegant Brit (not specifically ubuntu) but it still has a few issues that affect java applications in particular (like Netbeans having illegible menus). But I have actually seens some Mac guys drool all over it so that is pretty telling.

Last edited by jay73; 07-15-2008 at 02:45 AM.
 
Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Lord Ghost
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: 15
Wow, I have to say, several of you should never EVER write a review, you have no clue what you are doing.

You never EVER consider something to be a pro or con in COMPARISON TO ANOTHER PRODUCT!!!

EVER!!!

You can compare features and say, "This OS has more features than the competitors." but you NEVER EVER EVER EVER say, "This OS doesn't work like brand X and that is a con."

I believe Mega Man X was reviewing Ubuntu properly (to a point) and was correct in pointing out NO CONS if there really weren't any for him.

I would point out though that no multi-media support would be a con for him, and I would have pointed that out in my review. The fact that it's a super simple remedy means nothing - it was not 100% perfect. The fact that Skype doesn't work out of the box for 64-bit, again, a con.

Although he pointed out the cons in his review, his rating of CONS==0 was inaccurate for him.

*I* however am running 32-bit Ubuntu, and I can honestly say the cons for me are zero. As are the cons for three of my clients that I converted to it.

Cheers,
Ghost
 
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Reviews should be subjective and opinionated.

That's what makes them interesting. Put a bit of yourself into the review and you can work wonders. Otherwise it'll read like a dry technical report - factual but boring.
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
IsaacKuo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Distribution: Debian 4.0 Etch
Posts: 1,349

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ghost View Post
You never EVER consider something to be a pro or con in COMPARISON TO ANOTHER PRODUCT!!!
I completely disagree. All pros and cons should be in comparison to the alternatives. "Pro" compared to what? "Con" compared to what?

The entire point of a review is to help the reader choose whether to use the reviewed products. Pros and cons compared to alternative products are completely relevant.
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Takla
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 188

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ghost View Post
Wow, I have to say, several of you should never EVER write a review, you have no clue what you are doing.

You never EVER consider something to be a pro or con in COMPARISON TO ANOTHER PRODUCT!!!

EVER!!!

You can compare features and say, "This OS has more features than the competitors." but you NEVER EVER EVER EVER say, "This OS doesn't work like brand X and that is a con."
errm....yeah, right. Making a comparison is not about saying "this works differently so it is good/bad". If you think that's what a comparison is then that's a little unfortunate for you.

Ubuntu shares a lot of features with many other distros, things like APT, the Gnome desktop and various applications. It also does a few things differently and adds some of its own facilities and ideas. It's reasonable to compare for the purposes of assessing such things as:

How is Ubuntu's implementation of Gnome similar or different to other distros' implementations? Are there aspects that Ubuntu does better/worse than others and why/how? Have they made useful improvements/customisations?

Ubuntu uses its own GUI installer (as well as the text based Debian installer). Does the Ubuntu installer offer improvements in features or usability?

Upgrades: Ubuntu releases every 6 months. Many users will wish to keep up to date. How reliable is the upgrade process? Are there other distros which offer more (or less) reliable upgrading, or is Ubuntu ahead of the pack?

The Ubuntu specific features: what do Ubuntu's unique solutions and facilities offer the user? Do they offer something useful/attractive that other distros don't? Do they solve problems that other distros failed to solve? Do they offer worthwhile new facilities that I can't find elsewhere? Are there any drawbacks to the Ubuntu specific features?

It comes down to "Why should anyone choose or decline to choose Ubuntu from amongst the 100's of other desktop distros out there?" A review with no context and no comparison in effect only says "because I like it" or "because I say so".

If a reviewer assesses a distro with no reference to other similar products then all you can learn from the "review" is if he/she likes it or not. That's not really any more useful than knowing the reviewer's favourite colour or if they prefer Coke to Pepsi.

But anyway thanks for capitalised rant. The world needs more fanboys..........
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
Mega Man X
Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 63
Thanks Lord Ghost. When I started reading your post, I started to think that you thought my review was so bad that I should never make reviews again

Anyway, I appreciate your comments and I am glad to see you are also satisfied with Ubuntu.

@Takla:

I think comparing one product with another is a good thing. But I didn't want to do so because: First, I am not qualified to do so, because I haven't tried any other distribution in years. So I believe it is better to say how Ubuntu worked for me, as a desktop user, developer and an semi-hardcore gamer, ratter than comparing with things I've no knowledge of.

Windows had to be mentioned on the review, because that is what I used for all my needs. Now if some other distribution offers the same as Ubuntu does, that is a good thing, but I fail to see how that would affect Ubuntu. If anything, now the reader has an idea of what to expected of Ubuntu and can try other distros out to compare it by themselves.

Last edited by Mega Man X; 07-15-2008 at 04:05 PM.
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
Takla
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 188

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man X View Post
Thanks Lord Ghost. When I started reading your post, I started to think that you thought my review was so bad that I should never make reviews again

Anyway, I appreciate your comments and I am glad to see you are also satisfied with Ubuntu.

@Takla:

I think comparing one product with another is a good thing. But I didn't want to do so because: First, I am not qualified to do so, because I haven't tried any other distribution in years. So I believe it is better to say how Ubuntu worked for me, as a desktop user, developer and no-quite-hardcore gamer, ratter than comparing with things I've no knowledge of.

Windows had to be mentioned on the review, because that is what I used for all my needs. Now if some other distribution offers the same as Ubuntu does, that is a good thing, but I fail to see how that would affect Ubuntu. If anything, now the reader has an idea of what to expected of Ubuntu and can try other distros out to compare it by themselves.
Ok fair enough, I appreciate your perspective. Your review makes more sense in this context, maybe it's worth stating the same in your review?
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
Mega Man X
Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takla View Post
maybe it's worth stating the same in your review?
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I will probably add that to the review as well. I already changed the "cons", based on some replies here. I want it to be a good review, even if a tiny fanboy-made. It is a personal, non-professional review after all =)

Cheers!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Ubuntu - 8.04 (Review) LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-19-2008 09:50 AM
LXer: Ubuntu Linux Is Dead, Long Live Ubuntu Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-06-2007 11:41 AM
Complete Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) review Rommidze Ubuntu 13 10-03-2007 06:53 PM
My review for Ubuntu Feisty thekid Ubuntu 2 10-02-2007 01:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration