LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Kizzume
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Distribution: Kubuntu Feisty
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0

Are you able to change your mac address? I know there's a tool in Windows to do it (and after you run it you just change a registry entry to make it whatever you want), but I don't know about how to do it in Linux. If this happens again, you may want to do that, reset your modem, and you'll probably have a new IP assigned to you.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #17
vxc69
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 387

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzume
Are you able to change your mac address? I know there's a tool in Windows to do it (and after you run it you just change a registry entry to make it whatever you want), but I don't know about how to do it in Linux. If this happens again, you may want to do that, reset your modem, and you'll probably have a new IP assigned to you.
No he's blocking my ISP. Which is odd, because most of the users use the same ISP. And mac addresses don't pass over the net only on a LAN. Anyway it doesn't matter now, I've gotten used to visiting that site with a proxy.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
Kizzume
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Distribution: Kubuntu Feisty
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxc69
No he's blocking my ISP. Which is odd, because most of the users use the same ISP. And mac addresses don't pass over the net only on a LAN. Anyway it doesn't matter now, I've gotten used to visiting that site with a proxy.
When you say they're blocking your ISP but others get on with the same ISP, then they're NOT blocking your ISP. That just doesn't make sense.

I've had some experience with cheating on a multiplayer game (Delta Force 2, where in most maps if you don't cheat, you don't get anywhere because EVERYONE's cheating), and have been blocked many times because of it, at least, until I figured out how to get past the cheatblock like everyone else was doing.

You change the mac address, reset the modem and viola--you can get back into the game. Sometimes they'll block IP ranges, which sucks, which means you might have to change the mac address several times until you get an IP that isn't in that range.

If they blocked your ISP, the other people who use the same ISP wouldn't be able to get on there.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #19
St.Jimmy
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Boaz,Alabama
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 / Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / Snow Leopard 10.6.4 64-Bit
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 30
try disconnecting your router for a few hours, wait until when there is a lag usually, then connect. they've probably blocked your hostname path, like:
dialup-4.137.255.15.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net (note: my ip is dynamic and I run a firewall, so there.)
 
Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #20
vxc69
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 387

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzume
When you say they're blocking your ISP but others get on with the same ISP, then they're NOT blocking your ISP. That just doesn't make sense.

I've had some experience with cheating on a multiplayer game (Delta Force 2, where in most maps if you don't cheat, you don't get anywhere because EVERYONE's cheating), and have been blocked many times because of it, at least, until I figured out how to get past the cheatblock like everyone else was doing.

You change the mac address, reset the modem and viola--you can get back into the game. Sometimes they'll block IP ranges, which sucks, which means you might have to change the mac address several times until you get an IP that isn't in that range.

If they blocked your ISP, the other people who use the same ISP wouldn't be able to get on there.
To be honest I have no clue whether other users from my ISP are able to view the site. I did try changing the MAC address, but it didn't work, then I found out that MAC addresses don't transfer over the net.

Quote:
ry disconnecting your router for a few hours, wait until when there is a lag usually, then connect. they've probably blocked your hostname path, like:
dialup-4.137.255.15.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net (note: my ip is dynamic and I run a firewall, so there.)
I'll try this.

BTW: This is really not an issue. I was just ranting and today I decided to update my rant. I'm not trolling here.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
Kizzume
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Distribution: Kubuntu Feisty
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
You never mentioned a router, so I didn't know. My instructions were for if you did not have a router.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fedora server shuts down for no apparent reason jordanthompson Linux - General 9 09-10-2005 02:54 PM
apache server shuts down for unknown reason jordanthompson Linux - Software 3 01-18-2005 10:15 PM
postgreSQL stuck, blocks X server pelgrimforever Mandriva 0 11-03-2004 03:04 PM
reason given by server: permission denied scottsteibel Linux - Newbie 2 11-26-2003 03:17 PM
reason for separating web server and database server hardigunawan Linux - Security 5 01-25-2003 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration