LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Potential AIDS cure (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/potential-aids-cure-4175446140/)

H_TeXMeX_H 01-18-2013 03:00 AM

Potential AIDS cure
 
http://mg.co.za/article/2013-01-16-a...cure-for-aids/

Quote:

David Harrich, from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, said he had successfully modified a protein in the Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) that the virus needed to replicate and instead made it "potently" inhibit virus growth.

"I have never seen anything like it. The modified protein works every time," said Harrich.

"If this research continues down its strong path, and bear in mind there are many hurdles to clear, we're looking at a cure for Aids."

Harrich said the modified protein, which he had named Nullbasic, had shown a "remarkable" ability to arrest HIV growth in a lab environment and could have exciting implications both in curbing Aids and treating existing HIV sufferers.

273 01-18-2013 09:33 AM

I can see condom sales falling in the next few years if this works out...

frieza 01-18-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4872934)
I can see condom sales falling in the next few years if this works out...

hopefully not, afterall AIDS is only one of many reasons for a rubber.

H_TeXMeX_H 01-18-2013 01:52 PM

Just as a note, this is NOT a cure for HIV (but still a treatment for it). HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. AIDS is just a condition based on the number of T cells.

frieza 01-18-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4873084)
Just as a note, this is NOT a cure for HIV (but still a treatment for it). HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. AIDS is just a condition based on the number of T cells.

indeed, though there are those who live out their entire lives with HIV and never get AIDS.

273 01-21-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frieza (Post 4872968)
hopefully not, afterall AIDS is only one of many reasons for a rubber.

We know that, but I can't help but fear that the threat of AIDS was what really concentrated safe sex in the minds of young (and not so young, of course) people.

sundialsvcs 01-21-2013 07:52 AM

AIDS is a very peculiar virus ... easily killed, but fairly unique in its attack. It certainly is of interest in the sense that, well, "maybe this is how the cancer virus(es) work(s)." (Does the uncontrolled cell growth of cancer have anything to do with, say, warts and moles?) Research into ways of breaking the reproductive cycle of such a thing are interesting ... of course, what we don't know yet is whether there are some other life-critical processes in, say, the human body that would be similarly disrupted. But we should find out.

frieza 01-21-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4874549)
We know that, but I can't help but fear that the threat of AIDS was what really concentrated safe sex in the minds of young (and not so young, of course) people.

indeed, hence the hopefully NOT part ^^

H_TeXMeX_H 01-21-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundialsvcs (Post 4874675)
Does the uncontrolled cell growth of cancer have anything to do with, say, warts and moles?

Warts are caused by HPV, some strains of which have been shown to be oncogenic (at least for squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix). Moles are unusual things, I've seen articles that say that moles are correlated with longer and healthier life span:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/.../13/moles.html
I have no clue how this can be, but it is interesting.

Also note that moles tend to be seen in a bad light because melanoma is seen as associated with them. Actually, only certain types of moles have a chance to transform into melanoma.

sundialsvcs 01-21-2013 01:59 PM

What I personally notice about warts and moles is that they are characterized by "atypical" cell-growth that seems to be largely uncontrolled. Skin cells that ought to produce a smooth surface and nothing more, instead are induced to produce a lump. My instinct, therefore, is that if one type of (e.g...) virus is able to produce such a change, other things out there just might be able to do more.

AIDS, as I said, is a weak virus .. easily destroyed, and limited in its ability to spread itself .. but nevertheless it has a profoundly disruptive effect on the system that's responsible for defense of the body. It would therefore be interesting to discover even a "brutish" form of intervention that could be targeted against it, because maybe it would then be possible to target other cells that have been "kidnapped."

moxieman99 01-21-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frieza (Post 4873092)
indeed, though there are those who live out their entire lives with HIV and never get AIDS.

wrong. EVERY person who has been infected with HIV has eventually gone on to AIDS. THere are some who have lived for a few decades before succumbing, but they did succumb. Hate to bust your bubble, but HIV is still a death sentence.

k3lt01 01-21-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moxieman99 (Post 4874920)
wrong. EVERY person who has been infected with HIV has eventually gone on to AIDS. THere are some who have lived for a few decades before succumbing, but they did succumb. Hate to bust your bubble, but HIV is still a death sentence.

Every person? So some haven't died by being shot (if the are in the USA) or hit by a bus or having a heart attack before they developed AIDS?

H_TeXMeX_H 01-22-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moxieman99 (Post 4874920)
Hate to bust your bubble, but HIV is still a death sentence.

That is true ATM, but current treatments have significantly prolonged life expectancy and quality. Your attitude towards the diseases matters a lot too. If you believe it is a death sentence then it probably will be, and sooner than more optimistic people.

273 01-22-2013 01:21 PM

I thougt I heard recently that HIV could be managed indefinately with a cocktail of medecines? Not a great life, of course, and ending treatment means AIDS can take hold but I'm sure I read that people treated correctly had "normal" life expectancy nowadays at least in some cases?

moxieman99 01-22-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4875611)
I thougt I heard recently that HIV could be managed indefinately with a cocktail of medecines? Not a great life, of course, and ending treatment means AIDS can take hold but I'm sure I read that people treated correctly had "normal" life expectancy nowadays at least in some cases?

In one-third of the cases, or thereabouts, the retroviral drugs are not effective at all. If the cases where it is initially effective, it lengthens life considerably, but in teh end, the virus mutates around the drugs and you get aids.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.