LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #61
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
I do hope "A Layman's Reflections:" marks the first and last installment of that planned series of "articles" unless the OP dramatically improves requisite writing and debating skills.
That would be the case if I were banned; but that would have to be without grounds, in which manner many folks with this message have been banned from many things from the dawn of time.
 
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #62
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53
Bed time now. Alas, I will try tomorrow, but I have other business throughout the day. Otherwise, Monday. Wife and family have a retreat of sorts over the weekend. In the meantime, may God richly bless you!
 
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #63
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,976

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
When you come back, consider this: being "predisposed to disagree" (which you obviously are yourself, btw) is not prejudice. It is also not a sign of a closed mind. It merely means that the other people in the discussion will actually need to prove their case. And if you want to "consider tone", then you first need to consider what you've done to elicit those tones.

Or are you defining open-mindedness as blindly agreeing with everything you say without even thinking about it first?

Further whinging about how everyone but yourself is closed minded and prejudiced will confirm the above. Responding with more gratuitious ad-hominems ("closed minded! prejudiced! not ready to reason! admit it!") will reinforce what you've already demonstrated: that you're the only closed-minded participant because you don't want to be disagreed with. Continuing to define closed-mindedness as "predisposed to disagree" will reinforce the perception that you're here to preach and not discuss. Claiming to see evidence of this in people's "tones" will demonstrate that you're good at showing yourself what you want to see, regardless of whether it exists.

Quote:
That would be the case if I were banned;
Actually, Unspawn's point was that you should have written it better, not that you shouldn't have posted it.

Last edited by dugan; 06-30-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: it wasn't a gratuitous barb
 
Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #64
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,452

Rep: Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172
A forum isn't a place to hear yourself talk. Maybe that's part of what gets "religionists" a short welcome at social circles.

Debate is fun. Pontificating is annoying. Whining is worse. Proselytizing is insufferable.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #65
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,134
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Satan operates in two realms of the human soul—personally and confederately. He gets at the human soul by prescribing his demons to whisper in human ears, from which if we’re not careful to discern, we are deceived to thinking the things he whispers are our own thoughts.
That's a symptom of schizophrenia, when you believe voices in your head are not your own thoughts, but come from elsewhere: Satan, aliens, the CIA, the Illuminati, the BBC, who or whatever.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #66
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,976

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
That's a symptom of schizophrenia, when you believe voices in your head are not your own thoughts, but come from elsewhere: Satan, aliens, the CIA, the Illuminati, the BBC, who or whatever.
Dawkins has a chapter in The God Delusion about this. He does not argue that it's schizophrenia. Can't remember what he said exactly, but IIRC he theorizes that primitive cultures didn't consider the voice in your head to be internal and that's probably where religion came from. (It's probably a better argument when he says it than when I'm mangling it).

Last edited by dugan; 06-30-2011 at 09:47 AM.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #67
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
There was no reason to believe that anyone who disagreed with you you was prejudiced. You've convinced yourself otherwise, but if you want to convince anyone else, then you're going to need a better reason than "can be taken from your tones, if inductively."
Okay, you're right. I'VE been prejudiced by presuming you've been prejudiced.

Now, where were we?
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #68
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,976

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
I've answered below. I'm still just beginning page 3!
You weren't reading the entire thread before replying?

Last edited by dugan; 06-30-2011 at 12:23 PM.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #69
Blinker_Fluid
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Clinging to my guns and religion.
Posts: 682

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Okay, you're right. I'VE been prejudiced by presuming you've been prejudiced.

Now, where were we?
Sorry, not going to go into the deep philosophical debate, the referring to scriptures, etc, etc. But a question for the believers and non-believers alike: After death what?

Got to ask this because I've heard the non-believers say this is it once you die fade to black, some believers say we sit on a cloud and strum a harp and sing praises for eternity, or fire and brimstone. To tell you the truth I'm not exactly thrilled about being punished for eternity or sitting on some cloud strumming a harp, both have about the same appeal to me and I might as well fade to black.
I would like to think life is kind of like graduating from College, some people simplify the result to you get to go get a job but that's not the end goal to the degree. With the degree you get to do something that hopefully pays more than non-degree'ed employment, hopefully you have broadened your understanding of life, the universe, and everything and you are more prepared to meet the future.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #70
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,976

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinker_Fluid View Post
After death what?
Personally, I agree with Stephen Hawking.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #71
Blinker_Fluid
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Clinging to my guns and religion.
Posts: 682

Rep: Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Personally, I agree with Stephen Hawking.
From Stephen Hawking:
Quote:
I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first… I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.
So a vote for fade to black. My basement seems to believe there is an afterlife for broken down computers for some reason. I guess until they are marched to the shooting range and dispatched there is always a chance of re-use.

Last edited by Blinker_Fluid; 06-30-2011 at 01:23 PM.
 
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #72
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
In that case, I present the first article of "A Layman's Reflections:"

Satan operates in two realms of the human soul—personally and confederately...
Umm... what is your point exactly? Do you propose something, are you looking for opinions/debate, or what?
 
Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #73
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
I am killing this thread and rendering it immune to resurrection by cutting off it's head and limbs and keeping them separate with piles of sand. I have no idea what this thread was supposed to accomplish, but I'm guessing that every post after #2 wasn't it. There is an excellent religion thread to be found here. Newcomers should read through it to get an idea of the the thoughts and attitudes there and then continue the conversation. Enjoy.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for file that holds the modules to be compiled with mkinitrd blittrell Suse/Novell 3 07-13-2010 05:32 PM
slackware splash screen holds old data..........weird damgar Slackware 9 12-09-2009 10:41 PM
CD wallet that holds jewel cases? General General 3 04-21-2006 08:02 AM
Where KDE holds its menu ? bubaka Linux - Newbie 2 06-20-2004 01:01 PM
Swiss Village Holds First Internet Vote BittaBrotha General 0 01-19-2003 11:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration