LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: LGBT adoption: may it be against the Human Rights of the Child?
Yes, I would vote that it might be against Human Rights 5 17.86%
No, I would vote that it might NOT be against Human Rights 22 78.57%
Other 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #46
netcrawl
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: British Columbia
Distribution: Slackware64 14, m0n0wall
Posts: 142

Rep: Reputation: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
Regarding question:
This is a quite difficult question.
This is why there is such an ambiguity people arent capable to find if the answer is correct or not.
It's actually a very simple question to answer. Assumimg the parents are caring and mature individuals, there is no problem regarding adoption by LGBT parents.

Of course, the adoptive child might grow up to be tolerant, perhaps even accepting, (Heavens Forfend!) of LGBT people. Scary concept, 'eh?
 
Old 06-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #47
TalonNexaris
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Distribution: FreeBSD / Windows 7
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
It is already very difficult for a woman and a man. So, why to look forward for sthg that was not planned by the nature?


Humans keep doing mistakes one after another.
You should watch this movie to understand better: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063442/


For instance, they don't rise kinda dangerous antennas on the roof of schools? What about the chemistry of the bottles for babies to heat up their milk?
And so on. No Comments. It is human history.

After don't complain that we haven't great rates in our countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_fertility_rate



EDIT:

You are thinking wrong. There are absolutely nothing mean against the LGBT community. This thread has nothing to do with LGBT community. It is fine, that there are legalized. In the history, LGBT has been existing. The marriage was a thinkable step for giving same possibilities.

This thread is about education, ... development of children. Please do not be confused.

Now, we can create a new wording: "Biologically Family"?


So you shall also fight against the definition of the family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family

What will be this planet in 100 years?
The fact that you're going to such lengths to justify your bigotry is all the more sickening.

Last edited by TalonNexaris; 06-03-2013 at 05:46 PM.
 
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #48
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,530
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
Some human right councils argues that for instance there are limits related to family,... It is not approved in all countries in the world.
Of course not. In some countries on this planet you will get killed if someone finds out that you are homosexual. But I fail to see what that has to do with the Human Rights of the child.
 
Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #49
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Debian Land
Posts: 1,325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Of course not. In some countries on this planet you will get killed if someone finds out that you are homosexual. But I fail to see what that has to do with the Human Rights of the child.
For instance, when it changed in US, there was a very good movie about LGBT. Besides movie also linked with politics. I cannot remember the name of the movie yet. (In my own opinion, I did very much like this movie.)
(But we diverge to LGBT community..)
 
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #50
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,530
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
For instance, when it changed in US, there was a very good movie about LGBT. Besides movie also linked with politics. I cannot remember the name of the movie yet. (In my own opinion, I did very much like this movie.)
(But we diverge to LGBT community..)
This does not answer my questions at all. To repeat that: What damages to a child's education or development do you expect if that child is raised by a homosexual couple?
 
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #51
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Debian Land
Posts: 1,325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
This does not answer my questions at all. To repeat that: What damages to a child's education or development do you expect if that child is raised by a homosexual couple?
Sorry but I do not know. Sorry for my late answer.

Are there any damages? - I do not think so. As said above, a child can be very probably risen up as well in an LGBT family. Most important as always: talking and communication as always.

Not my area.

Maybe a psychologist or specialist might help there.. anyone?

Best wishes and regards

Last edited by Xeratul; 06-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
 
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #52
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,530
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
Sorry but I do not know. Sorry for my late answer.

Are there any damages? - I do not think so. As said above, a child can be very probably risen up as well in an LGBT family. Most important as always: talking and communication as always.

Not my area.

Maybe a psychologist or specialist might help there.. anyone?

Best wishes and regards
So how do you come to this conclusion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
I am kinda sure that the fact that gay parents (probably married)
allowed by the country to adopt is against the human rights.
 
Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #53
shane25119
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Linux Mint XFCE
Posts: 647

Rep: Reputation: 52
The scholarly literature shows that outcomes for children raised by heterosexual and homosexual couples are statistically the same.

I see no human rights angle here. If you can cite the UN Declaration of Rights of the Child I'll entertain it.

As it stands, what you're proposing actually violates the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (note: I teach constitional law).
 
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #54
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Debian Land
Posts: 1,325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane25119 View Post
The scholarly literature shows that outcomes for children raised by heterosexual and homosexual couples are statistically the same.

I see no human rights angle here. If you can cite the UN Declaration of Rights of the Child I'll entertain it.

As it stands, what you're proposing actually violates the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (note: I teach constitional law).
It is not true. You could for instance read the study of the British Association of Adoption and Fostering about LGBT adoption in general. Their might be differences, but ok slight.

Well, usually, they (politicians) argue that it violates the fundamental of family. You mean the 14th but as well the 8th?
- basically, it may be stated as sexual orientation discrimination.

In terms of law, there still exists (or might) some difficulties in terms of equal recognition and protection of children (in LGBT family) in US.
 
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #55
shane25119
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Linux Mint XFCE
Posts: 647

Rep: Reputation: 52
Xeratul,

That's not a scholarly source, that's an interest group. Interest groups are not held to any fact checking standard. Scholarly literature means peer reviewed. Here's some examples:

http://cdp.sagepub.com/content/15/5/241.short
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...77539501001935

The most comprehensive literature review I could find is here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...00302/abstract

The Eigth Amendment deals with cruel and unusual punishment- so no; not applicable.

I'm not using this in terms of advancing a political agenda; rather I'm highlighting what current caselaw is. Sexual orientation is a suspect class (Hill v. Colorado 1996, U.S. Sup. Ct.) and family planning is a fundamental right (Griswold v. CT 1965, U.S. Sup. Ct.). Therefore, by extension caselaw and precedent seem to point in this direction.

Those articles will demonstrate the shortcomings of your argument. Object to it all you want on natural law/religious grounds. But, those areas thankfully for the rights of everyone hold no legal sway. The fact remains, from a legal and scientific perspective your position holds no merit.

PS: The articles may be paywalled. If anyone would like the articles but cannot access them please send me a private message and I'll be happy to e-mail them to you.

Last edited by shane25119; 06-05-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: adding the ps:
 
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #56
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Debian Land
Posts: 1,325

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 83
Thank you for your post Shane. It is greatly informative. This new adoption law, granted in some countries, is against discrimination for LGBT
 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #57
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,617

Rep: Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonNexaris View Post
The fact that you're going to such lengths to justify your bigotry is all the more sickening.
Hmmmmm, with a moderator taking an active part in thsi discussion and not one warning leveled against Xeratul by any moderator for any post that I can currently see I think you need to justify the fact you are calling him a bigot. LQ has many people from many backgrounds, just because some of us do not agree does not mean any of us are bigots and I find your assertion that Xeratul is a bigot
to be extremely offensive.

Your posts are being reported.
 
Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #58
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I think there is only one motivation for allowing LGBT marriage and adoption ... it is purely political. Observing the evolution of this issue on the news can only lead one to this conclusion.

So, Xeratul, have they convinced you ?

Last edited by H_TeXMeX_H; 06-07-2013 at 03:56 AM.
 
Old 06-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #59
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,617

Rep: Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I think there is only one motivation for allowing LGBT marriage and adoption ... it is purely political. Observing the evolution of this issue on the news can only lead one to this conclusion.
This is what annoys me about the whole LGBT issue in Australia.

TobiSGD you seem to want someone to answer your question so let me give you some real life examples. When I went to Primary School in the mid 1970s I was in a class with a few Lesbians yet none of them were female. Instead they were all natives of the Greek island of Lesbos. Now those same men, who are now around 44-46 years old, are to embarassed to say where they are from and their grandchildren have had troubles at school because of their heritage.

I knew a student quite a few years ago who was having extreme difficulty at school and as a casual teacher no one every tells you anything about the situation except there is some problem and just keep an eye out for any difficulties. One day on playground duty this student had been beaten up pretty badly requiring a trip to the hospital for xrays. While I was waiting for assistance I asked the obvious question of "what happened and why?" The student told me they other kids beat him up often because he has 2 mums. Now lets clarify something here before I go on, I grew up in Australia's biggest city but was working at that time in a rural centre of less than 50000 people. I said ok so why is that a reason for them to do this many kids have 2 mums. His reply was how many of them had a mum and dad but the dad had a sex change and become a mum?

It used to be ok in Australia to sing Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. It's not now because of the connotations of the word "gay". When is it ok to change words in general use and make everyone else have concerns over using words that should for all intents and purposes tell someone your heritage or your mood?

Now you have 3 examples of how LGBT can have an impact on a childs education or development merely because of this extremely complex issue of rights and dare I say it the priviledge of raising a child. People should not be excluded from raising children because of sexual orientation but anyone who claims there is no difference between children raised by a heterosexual couple and those raised by a couple who are not heterosexual have a lot to learn. Kids can be and are seriously nasty to people who are different to their image of normal. What is considered normal or ok in Germany or Sydney isn't normal or ok everywhere, if you think otherwise then I am sad to say you are just wrong.

Don't look at this as purely an LGBT issue, instead look at it as an issue concerning minorities everywhere. Everywhere minorities are treated with contempt or looked at with mistrust and it is not deserved or warranted. Societal education is the key but I seriously doubt the western world will ever fully come to grips with its own bias' and learn to live peacefully and equally with itself.
 
Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #60
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,530
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
TobiSGD you seem to want someone to answer your question so let me give you some real life examples. When I went to Primary School in the mid 1970s I was in a class with a few Lesbians yet none of them were female. Instead they were all natives of the Greek island of Lesbos. Now those same men, who are now around 44-46 years old, are to embarassed to say where they are from and their grandchildren have had troubles at school because of their heritage.

I knew a student quite a few years ago who was having extreme difficulty at school and as a casual teacher no one every tells you anything about the situation except there is some problem and just keep an eye out for any difficulties. One day on playground duty this student had been beaten up pretty badly requiring a trip to the hospital for xrays. While I was waiting for assistance I asked the obvious question of "what happened and why?" The student told me they other kids beat him up often because he has 2 mums. Now lets clarify something here before I go on, I grew up in Australia's biggest city but was working at that time in a rural centre of less than 50000 people. I said ok so why is that a reason for them to do this many kids have 2 mums. His reply was how many of them had a mum and dad but the dad had a sex change and become a mum?
Those kids also could have been embarrassed or beaten up for being poor, rich, black, Asian or whatever reason. I see no difference here just because they had a heritage that contains the word Lesbos or because of LGBT parents. I am quite sure that no one wants to forbid black people to adopt white children, or the other way around, just because those children may be harassed in school, so I don't see why this doesn't apply to LGBT couples.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Web attacks target human rights sites Jeebizz Linux - News 1 01-04-2011 03:09 PM
LXer: Open source to help defend human rights LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-11-2007 12:00 PM
LXer: OSS used in fight for human rights LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-20-2007 03:46 PM
LXer: Free software working for human rights LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-13-2006 10:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration