LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/if-a-tree-falls-in-a-forest-and-no-one-is-around-to-hear-it-does-it-make-a-sound-669513/)

UMG:Chicken_Sop 09-12-2008 12:09 PM

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
 
What do you think? IMO it does make a sound. If someone was there to hear it, instead it would make noise.

trickykid 09-12-2008 12:11 PM

Yes, it makes a sound.

Now, why did the chicken cross the road?

colucix 09-12-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickykid (Post 3278476)
Now, why did the chicken cross the road?

To go to the other side?

j.todd 09-12-2008 01:00 PM

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Linville79 09-12-2008 01:21 PM

If you're driving down the street in your motorboat and your wings fall off, how many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse?

trickykid 09-12-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.todd (Post 3278518)
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Neither, they evolved from some microorganism from the water.. ;)

trickykid 09-12-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colucix (Post 3278492)
To go to the other side?

Yup. I really hate the 10 characters limit on LQ.

Jeebizz 09-12-2008 01:26 PM

How come with us its an abortion, but with a chicken, its an omelette?

--George Carlin :D

jiml8 09-12-2008 01:28 PM

The chicken crossed the road because it was too far to walk around.

H_TeXMeX_H 09-12-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiml8 (Post 3278538)
The chicken crossed the road because it was too far to walk around.

I don't think chickens think that far into it :)

pixellany 09-12-2008 02:33 PM

If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

As for sound:
First, Webster:
Quote:

1 a: a particular auditory impression : tone b: the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing c: mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing
This has a strong bias towards defining sound as our **perception** of pressure waves in air. Consider this: Before there were any life forms that could sense "sound", there were still pressure waves. "Sound" is the name given by humans to a subset of pressure waves which they are able to sense. Dogs can sense pressure waves that we cannot. Since we can't hear them, we don't call them "sound"---unless we are projecting ourselves into the mind of the dog---ie imagining what they are "hearing".

Therefore, the answer to the original question is "no".

trickykid 09-12-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3278589)
If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

As for sound:
First, Webster:
This has a strong bias towards defining sound as our **perception** of pressure waves in air. Consider this: Before there were any life forms that could sense "sound", there were still pressure waves. "Sound" is the name given by humans to a subset of pressure waves which they are able to sense. Dogs can sense pressure waves that we cannot. Since we can't hear them, we don't call them "sound"---unless we are projecting ourselves into the mind of the dog---ie imagining what they are "hearing".

Therefore, the answer to the original question is "no".

Hogwash. So if we were there, it would make a sound and it would make the same sound if we weren't there. The real answer is, yes it makes a sound that is unheard. ;)

XavierP 09-12-2008 03:29 PM

Nope, sorry, you're wrong. I checked it out and it was completely silent.

pixellany 09-12-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickykid (Post 3278599)
Hogwash. So if we were there, it would make a sound and it would make the same sound if we weren't there. The real answer is, yes it makes a sound that is unheard. ;)

It all depends on the definition of "sound".....I take it to be the human **perception** of pressure waves. No human---no perception.

What is the speed of sound in a vacuum?

ErV 09-12-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
You'll never know. Because if there is no one near, how do you know if/when tree falls at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 3278652)
What is the speed of sound in a vacuum?

NaN, because sound doesn't exist in vacuum.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.