LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2004, 08:29 PM   #1
BajaNick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Distribution: Slack 11
Posts: 1,737

Rep: Reputation: 46
I am so pissed......


I logged in then typed in this really, really long response to a thread and hit submit then it kicked me to the login screen again, so I tried to go back to copy and paste after I log in again but it just went back to the original post. I lost everything I typed in, WTF?
I am so friggin pissed
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
Stack
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 325

Rep: Reputation: 30
Problem is between the keyboard and the chair.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Not between the keyboard and chair all the time.

This actually happened to me once or twice when I used Mozilla. I switched to Firefox and now everything works fine.

I think that sometimes, the browser does not store the session cookies properly or the session cookies expire and so the login screen comes up again. When typing a long response, I always use a text editor first and then copy/paste to the 'your reply' field.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
nuka_t
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Distribution: YOPER+KDE
Posts: 263

Rep: Reputation: 30
this happened to me in windows. i had set firefox as the default browser, and i got an IE error message in firefox. microsoft screwes everything up.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Have these two enabled in your UserCP and you should never encounter this problem, I've typed responses for very long periods of time, even started some and left sitting before coming back a few hours later to hit submit and had no problems. With those checked off as yes, it should only log you out til you click logout or clear up your cookies:

Code:
Browse board with cookies? [X] Yes [  ] No

Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)  [X] Yes [  ] No
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
Have these two enabled in your UserCP and you should never encounter this problem, I've typed responses for very long periods of time, even started some and left sitting before coming back a few hours later to hit submit and had no problems. With those checked off as yes, it should only log you out til you click logout or clear up your cookies:

Code:
Browse board with cookies? [X] Yes [  ] No

Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)  [X] Yes [  ] No
I have turned both those options off and yet it works for me. I think it's more a browser problem that a problem with the options at UserCP.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
yakko
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: I live here.
Distribution: Trying to find one.
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Personally anytime I make a really long post I highlight and copy the text before moving away from the screen. I have never lost anything that way.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally posted by Harishankar
I have turned both those options off and yet it works for me. I think it's more a browser problem that a problem with the options at UserCP.
Possibly, but I never had problems with any browser, so maybe its back to square one, the problem between the keyboard and chair..
 
Old 09-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
BajaNick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Distribution: Slack 11
Posts: 1,737

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
All right, enough with the personal attacks
I do have cookies enabled in the user cp and in my browser, But i only have session cookies enabled. This has happened before but I just go back and cut and paste. Oh well, Maybe ill go with cookies completly enabled and turn on the cache.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNick
All right, enough with the personal attacks
I do have cookies enabled in the user cp and in my browser, But i only have session cookies enabled. This has happened before but I just go back and cut and paste. Oh well, Maybe ill go with cookies completly enabled and turn on the cache.
If you had cache turned off or very limited before, this is what would cause this issue..
 
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #11
BajaNick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Distribution: Slack 11
Posts: 1,737

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
If you had cache turned off or very limited before, this is what would cause this issue..
Yea, I just went and checked it and all of the cache settings were off in Opera. I switch back and forth between Opera and Mozilla sometimes because Opera is really fast but Mozilla has a better way of saving files.

Last edited by BajaNick; 09-28-2004 at 11:33 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XINE pissed me off. . . ic_torres Linux - Software 13 11-13-2005 05:41 PM
Pissed at Linux rant........:( M$ISBS General 7 07-09-2005 10:53 AM
Pissed Off With Mdk10.0 - No Printing indiocolifa Mandriva 4 09-16-2004 12:50 AM
Im pissed off/wtf is up with mozilla?? BajaNick Linux - Software 4 05-02-2004 11:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration