Originally Posted by elarsen
(..) she was unable to get it out of safe mode. She had to restart the laptop, and when it booted up it said win did not shut down properly. Well it has gotten to the point that the only way to get it past boot. Is to have it shut down for a period amount of time. When I restart the laptop it either can not go past boot, but if it can it just hangs their.
The first thing to do would be to assess the situation:
- what kind of exact hardware specs are we talking about?
- was the machine (except for being dropped ;-p) cared for the right way?
- what the OS and software kept up to date?
- what kind of errors and warnings did the log files show?
- what kind of safe browsing, malware and anti virus tools were installed and where they kept up to date?
- since when did the machine exhibit that behaviour?
- what kind of diagnostic, malware and anti virus tools did you use and what was their output?
*Now you get the idea why blithely deleting and reinstalling stuff doesn't make much sense.
**BTW I'm going to ask for this thread to be moved to the General forum as mcrsft sw probs don't belong here.