LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #76
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164

Just lol..people are silly. When someone talks about extraterrestial life forms which is actually possible everyone laughs but when someone on YouTube writes stuff such as "some hollywood celebrity is mother|father of some "holy book" character" everyone believes it instantly! No questions asked! What happened? Did people flush their gray matter inside head in toilet? I call shenanigans..

Last edited by Arcane; 09-30-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old 09-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #77
911InsideJob
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Distribution: Mint KDE
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Just lol..people are silly. When someone talks about extraterrestial life forms which is actually possible everyone laughs but when someone on YouTube writes stuff such as "some hollywood celebrity is mother|father of some "holy book" character" everyone believes it instantly! No questions asked! What happened? Did people flushed their gray matter inside head in toilet? I call shenanigans..
That's because you need credentials and authority to make such a statement, not reason and proof. It's like saying "affiliated with al-Qaeda" or "we now know from government sources"... that's the end of the debate. When government sources at the US Embasy in Russia said they were being targeted with microwaves they most certainly weren't delusional like that poor contractor at the navy yard http://content.time.com/time/magazin...911755,00.html
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #78
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,494

Rep: Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
when someone on YouTube writes stuff such as "some hollywood celebrity is mother|father of some "holy book" character" everyone believes it instantly! No questions asked! What happened?
By "everyone" you mean "everyone on YouTube"? Isn't the YouTube comment section notoriously idiotic?
 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #79
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 13 , MacPup,Linux-Lite 2.0, SaliX
Posts: 2,715
Blog Entries: 18

Rep: Reputation: 870Reputation: 870Reputation: 870Reputation: 870Reputation: 870Reputation: 870Reputation: 870
For Arcane.http://www.loris-hemlof.com/UFO.html
 
Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #80
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I'm not selling anything so you aren't required to buy it. I was just saying to consider possibility of Alien life and discuss it. Science supports it if you don't believe me. What happened to open mind? Everyone shut it, locked and closed for ever throwing or destroying key?

What makes you think unicorns didn't exist in past? You know a lot of mythology is actually rewritten history facts. Just because we don't see unicorns today in human dominated society on Earth doesn't mean anything like that didn't happen long time ago when we used to be closer to nature and when lot of cool species existed that are now extinct or in "Red book".
I wonder if your problem here is one of language? The expression, "I'm not going to bite" means I'm not going to accept the idea you are trying to tempt me with, like bait in front of a fish?

You say you want me "to consider possibility", but you write in declarative statements implying what you are saying is fact. You might instead, if you are offering conjecture for discussion use phrases such as, "I think that..." , "It may be that...", "Could it be that...?", "What if ...?".

btw, I'm perfectly open to the idea of alien life, I'd LOVE it if we discovered it, but that don't make it so. Show me the evidence. Show me a unicorn, or a fossil horn, something. Anything. Please, I'd love it if you could.

Your problem is that the human brain is amazingly inventive and can invent many thousands of fantastic (as in fantasy) ideas every day. You cannot go around assuming that every crazy notion that pops out of someones skull is true. You have to have some level of discrimination between truth and fantasy, otherwise we'd all go crazy believing every single idea anyone ever invented.

Last edited by baldy3105; 09-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.
 
Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #81
911InsideJob
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Distribution: Mint KDE
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yeah, the problem is language. I can't afford "affordable" healthcare and the Patriot Act was absolutely treasonous. You can't go around believing anything if it's from liars who use credentials instead of logic to make their arguments authoritative.

Since parts of the universe are billions of years older it stands to reason life exists elsewhere. It would be arrogant to believe otherwise. Doesn't prove they been here though. Life might be so common and aliens capable of traveling here so advanced that mankind probably seems ant-like and uninteresting. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time here if I had a spaceship. LOL
 
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #82
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,750

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911InsideJob View Post
Yeah, the problem is language. I can't afford "affordable" healthcare and the Patriot Act was absolutely treasonous. You can't go around believing anything if it's from liars who use credentials instead of logic to make their arguments authoritative.
Somehow I don't think Baldy was talking to you about "language".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911InsideJob View Post
Since parts of the universe are billions of years older it stands to reason life exists elsewhere. It would be arrogant to believe otherwise. Doesn't prove they been here though. Life might be so common and aliens capable of traveling here so advanced that mankind probably seems ant-like and uninteresting. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time here if I had a spaceship. LOL
Your assumption is flawed. Something being older in some parts does not make it "reasonable" that something has happened elsewhere. Your arguement can be used by people who disagree with you and all they have to say is something like "considering parts of the universe are billions of years older it stands to reason that we are alone based on the lack of evidence of anything else being out there". It is arrogant but it is just as arrogant as your statement.

Last edited by k3lt01; 09-28-2013 at 03:05 PM.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #83
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
I wonder if your problem here is one of language? The expression, "I'm not going to bite" means I'm not going to accept the idea you are trying to tempt me with, like bait in front of a fish?
Quest for truth is not idea - it is process..why not consider possibility that "holy books" were result of alien intervention? Seems more legit. Here is about bible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaC9vox19o
Even if they didn't those books were written by someone or something. In order to solve this puzzle we must be touching it.
Quote:
You say you want me "to consider possibility", but you write in declarative statements implying what you are saying is fact. You might instead, if you are offering conjecture for discussion use phrases such as, "I think that..." , "It may be that...", "Could it be that...?", "What if ...?".
Damnit! A lot of evidence exists around since ancient times that people knew something 'special' that we either lost due time or people in charge hide it from us today but that knowledge is proof humans didn't evolve by accident..that special stuff that make humans specific to rest of nature is something that should make you curious by default. Also we are missing further jump in evolution. That also contradicts what we are told in schools..
Quote:
btw, I'm perfectly open to the idea of alien life, I'd LOVE it if we discovered it, but that don't make it so. Show me the evidence. Show me a unicorn, or a fossil horn, something. Anything. Please, I'd love it if you could.
That is not my job to do. But according to this logic all books about non-touchable stuff today yet existed in past is wrong even if they are documentary books? Like for example if you search for extinct species - does that mean they didn't exist?
Quote:
Your problem is that the human brain is amazingly inventive and can invent many thousands of fantastic (as in fantasy) ideas every day. You cannot go around assuming that every crazy notion that pops out of someones skull is true. You have to have some level of discrimination between truth and fantasy, otherwise we'd all go crazy believing every single idea anyone ever invented.
I'm aware of it. That however doesn't mean opposite is true aswell. Sure we can't proove yet unicorn existed but that doesn't mean opposite side prooves they didn't! Burden of proof is required for both sides! Otherwise this happens.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #84
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Even if they didn't those books were written by someone or something.
Yep, humans are pretty good in making up epic stories, look for example at Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Dragonlance Chronicles, ... . That doesn't mean at all that any of this has to be true or that there must be a deeper knowledge in it. I am not saying that there can't be deeper knowledge in those stories, I am just saying that they exist does not imply such knowledge exists.
Quote:
Damnit! A lot of evidence exists around since ancient times that people knew something 'special' that we either lost due time or people in charge hide it from us today but that knowledge is proof humans didn't evolve by accident..that special stuff that make humans specific to rest of nature is something that should make you curious by default.
So you suspect that there exists ancient knowledge, based on evidence that no serious scientist has layed out to us, you suspect that this evidence is hidden to us by someone (who again?) and that is for you proof that humans didn't evolve by biological evolution? Sorry, but your suspicions are not a proof at all.

Quote:
Also we are missing further jump in evolution. That also contradicts what we are told in schools..
I am not an expert on this, but AFAIK, biologists specialized in the field of evolution do not miss such a "jump".

Last edited by TobiSGD; 09-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #85
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
..why not consider possibility that "holy books" were result of alien intervention? Seems more legit.....Even if they didn't those books were written by someone or something.
Why not consider they were written by fairies? Or that they appeared spontaneously in a random conjunction of elementary particals. Why not consider that someone with parietal lobe seizures hallucinated the whole lot and wrote it down? Why not consider that the organised religions in an attempt to control society to its own ends made up a whole load of lies and stuffed it down the throats of people too busy with daily survival to fight the churches?

There are many hypotheses. You are attempting to elevate your hypothesis to fact, to do that you need evidence. Spell it out and I'll consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
In order to solve this puzzle we must be touching it.
Touching it? Is this another interpretation thing? Not sure what you are saying. Touching what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Damnit! A lot of evidence exists around since ancient times that people knew something 'special' that we either lost due time or people in charge hide it from us today but that knowledge is proof humans didn't evolve by accident..that special stuff that make humans specific to rest of nature is something that should make you curious by default. Also we are missing further jump in evolution. That also contradicts what we are told in schools..
What evidence? Where? You keep spouting on about evidence but never tell us what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
That is not my job to do.
Sorry but it is. You keep making claims, telling us there is evidence but never present it. I don't care if your loony ideas are forgotten forever after, but you appear to. Therefore, your burden of proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I'm aware of it. That however doesn't mean opposite is true aswell. Sure we can't proove yet unicorn existed but that doesn't mean opposite side prooves they didn't! Burden of proof is required for both sides! Otherwise this happens.
Your quite right, the fact that there is no evidence of a unicorn doesn't prove it doesn't exist. But the lack of any evidence having been found by anyone to date shows that its existence is no more than conjecture. The average human being can make stuff up many hundreds (thousands?) of times quicker than the scientific establishment can prove or disprove it. Can you not understand that if you want the scientific establishment to turn its highly expensive gaze towards your favourite la-la-land invention, you will at least have to provide primae facia evidence that it is worth doing.

Or do it yourself. But you cannot expect any reasonable thinking person to accept your pet conjecture as being more worthy of beleif that any other without presenting evidence. Until you present evidence, conjecture it remains.

And the burden of proof is yours, as you are the one desperately trying to get us to beleive your idea's.

Last edited by baldy3105; 09-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #86
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911InsideJob View Post
Since parts of the universe are billions of years older it stands to reason life exists elsewhere. It would be arrogant to believe otherwise. Doesn't prove they been here though. Life might be so common and aliens capable of traveling here so advanced that mankind probably seems ant-like and uninteresting. I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time here if I had a spaceship. LOL
I agree, I think human beings are fundamentaly poorly designed to intuitively understand certain things. For instance we have a very poor intuitive grasp of risk - more people died on American roads post 9/11, than died in the actual attack, because they chose to drive instead of fly. We also have a very poor grasp of huge numbers and huge scales in time and space. It's easy to say billions of years, but I think people who struggle with evolution don't get the sheer enormity of a billion years. The universe is BIG. BIG in a way that you have to work at to understand.

The notion that we are the only life ever, anywhere, is utter narsissistic arrogance. But given those gargantuan scales, the likely hood of us ever discovering it is vanishingly small.

Check this out

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...2012/3390.html

And then this -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%28JPEG%29.jpg

.. even our radio signals have gone precisely nowhere in comparision to the size of the universe. Makes you think right?

Last edited by baldy3105; 09-30-2013 at 12:46 PM.
 
Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #87
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,750

Rep: Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Damnit!
Don't get testy just because you are getting the interaction you desired. people are using your thread to discuss your topic. Discuss it with us instead of resorting to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
What evidence? Where? You keep spouting on about evidence but never tell us what it is.
Let's be fair he is not the only one in LQ to do this.
 
Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #88
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Looks like another possible planet has been found..just think of it.

Study Reveals Alien Planet Likely Has Water in Plasma Form
 
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #89
Stealth Bot
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Distribution: Slackware 14 | NetBSD 5.1
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't believe in aliens nor UFOs. They only exists in fantasies and in TV where people are paid to lie through their teeth about seeing them.

I'll bet these gullible people who believe in aliens probably believe in the boogie man, easter bunnies and santa claus.

The only aliens we have are those who cross the US border illegally...

Last edited by Stealth Bot; 10-06-2013 at 11:24 PM.
 
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #90
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
How does this explain ancient times when humans just recently evolved from primitive creatures to reasonable beings with ability to do stuff we don't even know today? Something is just missing in this puzzle - on purpose!
 
  


Reply

Tags
aliens, evolution, god, origins, religion


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is Grand Unified Builder ?? iamlinux Linux - General 3 02-15-2013 10:04 AM
Grand Rapids, MI? JesusFreak84 Linux User Groups (LUG) 1 02-02-2010 07:32 AM
Grand entrance prodigy0987 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 12-16-2006 02:51 PM
New site grand opening! erat123 General 1 11-21-2006 03:38 AM
Grand Theft Auto kurcz Linux - Games 7 12-14-2005 07:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration