LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #46
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Here's the main problem which gets uprooted again and again: If you leave room for the unexplained, people will fill it with nonsense of various kinds.

It's a pity because there was an opportunity not long ago, when this void could have been closed once and for all, but someone stepped in and stopped it from closing. Although I don't agree with the move, maybe it was necessary.
That is something we could agree on but we still need to explore.

Pity? Void? Someone who can stop and start such stuff? Agree on move only you know happened? etc? I'm so sick of people who talk much but proove little. WTF happened "not long ago" and what is this "void" anyway?!? Why only chosen few know what is really going on? Unless you are one of those who just pretend they know better..this trashtalk and guessing games is waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
According to biologists Homo Sapiens is around for a much longer time than when those monuments were built
{...}
Why would aliens that have the technology to travel the stars need to rely on rocks to transport their messages? Shouldn't they have better ways?

Nope. A missing link only proves that a link is missing. Anything else is speculation.

In the past many people knew a lot more about how you can use plants for medicinal practices and even today (or at least in very recent history) people living in separated environments (for example people living in the South American rainforests or similar places) know many things about the powers of plants for medicinal usage that we people in the "modern world" just don't know. This is not because these people were visited by aliens, but because we aimed our research in a different direction. Nowadays scientists are looking at the powers of plants again, but they have to learn many things those people could have told them.

Still no aliens necessary to explain all those things.
And according to those who study those monuments claim opposite that they are here from beginning of humanity. So what?

Because if they left they need evidence behind about their existance etc. and rock is very long lasting material. It lasts for lifetimes if properly kept. This is why even in IT world people say "rock solid".

True but the fact that people refuse to talk about missing link in details is suspicious.

I definitely agree on this one. Society today pale in comparison of most past times. It doesn't mean humanity is failure but we have achieved more regress than progress lately. That's sad.

Aliens are not necessary but this is still possibility. It could fix missing link problem aswell.
 
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #47
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
And according to those who study those monuments claim opposite that they are here from beginning of humanity. So what?
I hope that you don't mean people like von Däniken or the producers of the "Ancient Aliens" shows or similar "scientists".
Anyways, it is very simple in science, if they claim something they have to be able to prove it. I yet have to see that anybody can prove that those buildings are 100,000 years old, I would think that this would be a sensation that would be discussed amongst people world wide.

Quote:
Because if they left they need evidence behind about their existance etc. and rock is very long lasting material. It lasts for lifetimes if properly kept. This is why even in IT world people say "rock solid".
A civilization that has mastered interstellar space travel should have much better materials than rock to provide proof of their existence. Even we have better materials (graphene or carbon nanotubes, for example).
Quote:
True but the fact that people refuse to talk about missing link in details is suspicious.
People in the field of biology and evolution do this quite often, I would think.Just have a look at the Evolution thread in non-*NIX/General.
Quote:
I definitely agree on this one. Society today pale in comparison of most past times. It doesn't mean humanity is failure but we have achieved more regress than progress lately. That's sad.
So on the one hand you agree that in certain fields we are less knowledgeable than our ancestors, on the other the same lack of knowledge in other fields is proof enough for alien theories?
Quote:
Aliens are not necessary but this is still possibility. It could fix missing link problem aswell.
Only if there actually is a missing link problem.

Last edited by TobiSGD; 09-04-2013 at 02:47 PM.
 
Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #48
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
I hope that you don't mean people like von Däniken or the producers of the "Ancient Aliens" shows or similar "scientists".

Anyways, it is very simple in science, if they claim something they have to be able to prove it. I yet have to see that anybody can prove that those buildings are 100,000 years old, I would think that this would be a sensation that would be discussed amongst people world wide.

A civilization that has mastered interstellar space travel should have much better materials than rock to provide proof of their existence. Even we have better materials (graphene or carbon nanotubes, for example).

People in the field of biology and evolution do this quite often, I would think.Just have a look at the Evolution thread in non-*NIX/General.

So on the one hand you agree that in certain fields we are less knowledgeable than our ancestors, on the other the same lack of knowledge in other fields is proof enough for alien theories?

Only if there actually is a missing link problem.
LOL..of course not. Actually i can reveal small secret - that show is already 'debunked' but that is not what is important. Important is that you watch it because it expands your divergent thinking and it simply is neccessary to introduce yourself to different materials to gain proper results. Also just because it contains flaws doesn't mean core of shows like that is fake.

Agree but it works both ways. We have yet to see modern people with modern technology repeating same process. This is just silly. All they have to do is repeat what people who built those past monuments did and explain how it works in basic level so that every student knows in school and we would know that there is no need for God or Aliens. Not to mention even if for some reason they were made by humans science still lacks answer why were they made? Purpose of those creations are also mysterie to solve yet.

Back in day maybe it was only material but it doesn't matter. Rock still does the job. Also we don't know how advanced that civilization is nor do we understand why would they do what they did if they did.

I have not studied Evolution that much to have valid detailed view of my own but i have found plenty other people that helped humanity(again many popular past scientists like Newton and even A.Einstein agreed there was or is space for God) who after study of Evolution comes to conclusion that something is missing. And if their conclusion is not important then why bother with some linux forum user opinions?

The problem is not that we have lost knowledge of past today but that current situation has explanation while past events don't. People in past compared to nowadays had more interest in progress and were less lazy but today people just don't care. They just want to fit in society but we can't get progress without stepping out of rutine. This is different. People knew stuff but chose to lose it while past events regarding those construction mysteries are with less sense.

There is missing link problem - otherwise this confusion about how humans came to be would be cleared out long time ago. Instead of thinking we would just know.

Last edited by Arcane; 09-04-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: edit
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #49
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Your last post suggests you are right on the mark, you guessed what I was talking about, and the right names too.
 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #50
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Your last post suggests you are right on the mark, you guessed what I was talking about, and the right names too.
But i don't know what is really going on. I just know that there are way too much predictions and theories that turn out to not work in praxis. So can you enlighten? If not then why not?
 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #51
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I will present part of my theory in a sanitized way.

I know that there was more technology than they tell us in ancient times. Some examples:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikithera_mechanism

I know that they were able to build things that today's engineers cannot explain.

However, rather than looking to aliens, you should look closer to home. The simplest explanation and also the most likely to be correct is that humans had great technology in the past, but a great darkness snuffed it out and poisoned their minds for centuries to come. Some say it was necessary, I say it was mental enslavement, and it's still here.

Another, more paranoid, theory would be that we are just here to develop technology, and when we have developed enough, they'll get rid of us, because they have no need of us anymore. Think about all these robots they are making. When will they replace us all ? What then ?

Whatever the case is, never bow down before "superior" forces, no matter who they say they are, and what they say they want to do. Only you know what is best for you, and only you have the ability to fulfill it.
 
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #52
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I will present part of my theory in a sanitized way.
{...}
Whatever the case is, never bow down before "superior" forces, no matter who they say they are, and what they say they want to do. Only you know what is best for you, and only you have the ability to fulfill it.
Looks like you had multiple theories. Interesting but more confusing than before. Are you sure you are on right track there?

Oh..don't worry about "bow down" before self-proclaimed "superior" forces - not gonna happen. They deserve respect and stuff like that and reasonable obedience but when it comes to stuff such as becoming puppet of BS - dream on..free will, brain, etc. exists for a reason.
 
Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #53
rokytnji
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 13 , MacPup,Slack0,MX-14, SaliX
Posts: 2,611
Blog Entries: 17

Rep: Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840Reputation: 840
I wonder what ancient man needed mountain top landing fields for in the Andes Mountains?

Kinda a waste of time leveling a mountain top, don't ya think? Same thing for lining the Tunnels in the Pyramid of the Sun with 90 foot sheets of Mica, a insulator.

That is pretty recent in time line thinking. There are tons of unexplained stuff. Libyian desert sand turned into sheets of glass. Submerged cities off the coast of India.

As Arcane says. The magic switch that made man think in the abstract. AKA missing link/Bullet/DNA/increased bloodflow to the brain/nobody knows what genetic mutation.

Similar layouts for cities. Cocaine in Egyptian Mummies. Toltecs, which nobody can get their act together on either.

I figure face it, we just don't friggin know. Do we?

Had fun watching The Europa Report though.
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
{...}As Arcane says. The magic switch that made man think in the abstract. AKA missing link/Bullet/DNA/increased bloodflow to the brain/nobody knows what genetic mutation.{...}
I don't say(dunno who formulated idea about missing link but it is active longer than most of us) that i am just pointing out biggest enemy of theory of evolution - itself. According to laws of evolution we would evolve to current level much slower than we should and are in reality and at same time move on to next level. Somehow it is not happening..combine this with obvious secret keeping from past and you get - humanity was no accident of universe neither trash-garbage to anything. Sure we live in messed up society that humiliates us from childhood but then again - if we can't avoid it or do anything about it - not our fault. Also if you reject idea that your existance belongs to you as some kind of ownership - noone else can steal it either - living life believing you are renting it yourself is much safer and more fun but thats kinda offtopic.
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #55
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I have not studied Evolution that much to have valid detailed view of my own ...
Quote:
According to laws of evolution ...
You see the problem with your arguments hopefully. You base your arguments on things you admittedly do not understand fully.
 
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #56
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,029
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
We have made it difficult for you, but you earthlings are slowly groping your way to the truth.
 
Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #57
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
You see the problem with your arguments hopefully. You base your arguments on things you admittedly do not understand fully.
Oh please..like everyone else would be undisputed master in these matters. Even people like you who defend Evolution hardcore can't claim anything related to origins with 100% precision. It's a discussion - i really doubt in linux forum anyone can claim they have studied origins to level of being almost so precise like a laser. Every post in these topics are based on whatever else has found at core - rest is opinion based on that find. However that doesn't mean we can't discuss it nor that possibility is incorrect in it's core. Afterall it is simple - if there would be undeniable evidence then these discussions wouldn't be BIASed to start with. So that sentence applies to everyone in these type of threads not just me - we all think but none knows for sure.
 
Old 09-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #58
PrinceCruise
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: /Universe/Earth/India/Pune
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1/Current, CentOS 6.5/7.0
Posts: 758

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I guess in the end we'll find out we were the Aliens.

Regards.
 
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #59
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,680

Rep: Reputation: 558Reputation: 558Reputation: 558Reputation: 558Reputation: 558Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Oh please..like everyone else would be undisputed master in these matters. Even people like you who defend Evolution hardcore can't claim anything related to origins with 100% precision. It's a discussion - i really doubt in linux forum anyone can claim they have studied origins to level of being almost so precise like a laser. Every post in these topics are based on whatever else has found at core - rest is opinion based on that find. However that doesn't mean we can't discuss it nor that possibility is incorrect in it's core. Afterall it is simple - if there would be undeniable evidence then these discussions wouldn't be BIASed to start with. So that sentence applies to everyone in these type of threads not just me - we all think but none knows for sure.
And here we get to the absolute crux of any matter like this. Claiming somethign as true, fact, reality, etc etc etc, when none of us know much at all (in the overall big picture) is futile. Telling others they don't know because of "this, that, or the next thing" and proclaiming that whatever the individual (telling the other person they are wrong) believes is reality is nothing more than a bluff. That is why these discussions go round in circles.
 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #60
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
And here we get to the absolute crux of any matter like this. Claiming somethign as true, fact, reality, etc etc etc, when none of us know much at all (in the overall big picture) is futile. Telling others they don't know because of "this, that, or the next thing" and proclaiming that whatever the individual (telling the other person they are wrong) believes is reality is nothing more than a bluff. That is why these discussions go round in circles.
Who cares? As we all know none of us here can claim anything 100% but in discussions that is not what matters but evidence. As they say - there is always something useful that comes out of any arguing. And you are wrong that discussion go round in circles - only people who don't listen and only care about what they post do that. Other people move discussion further.

Here is more thought material: Ancient pyramids found in Antarctica - Ha! If that will turn out to be true it will really change our perspective. There is no reason to think pyramids have been made in that area of Earth without explaining reason. Who knows what other treasure discoveries we have found there.
 
  


Reply

Tags
aliens, evolution, god, origins, religion


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is Grand Unified Builder ?? iamlinux Linux - General 3 02-15-2013 10:04 AM
Grand Rapids, MI? JesusFreak84 Linux User Groups (LUG) 1 02-02-2010 07:32 AM
Grand entrance prodigy0987 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 12-16-2006 02:51 PM
New site grand opening! erat123 General 1 11-21-2006 03:38 AM
Grand Theft Auto kurcz Linux - Games 7 12-14-2005 07:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration