LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #151
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,642

Rep: Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
You are correct of course. That "random experiment" only shows that people could easily have built those structures. Just like the written records from ancient Egypt "claimed" they were built. So it proves nothing and is obviosly nonsense. Those structure must have been built by aliens! The dates when all the pyramids were built and for which kings is also recorded in the historical record. But those historical records are all wrong. The Egyptians who wrote those accounts were fantasising under the influent of hallucinogenic compounds. After they saw aliens build a pyramid, they falsely recorded the structure being ordered by the previous king and created fake work records to support the lie.
No, the real answer is in the movie Stargate. The pyramids are actually interstellar space craft.
 
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #152
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Sitting in front of my computer.
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,132
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
Are you sure. The might have been toothpicks for deities.
 
Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #153
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,582
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Quote:
"Assume nothing. Question everything." The Thinking Atheist
So why are you assuming that aliens and/or hidden agenda must be involved as soon as their is something we don't know yet? You immediately stop questioning and assign unknown things to those two things, instead of searching for a rationale explanation first.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #154
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
....any sane person should not fall back to: I don't know, therefore hidden agenda.
Who says' he's sane? There nothing like a good old false dichotomy to prove a point eh?
 
Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #155
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy3105 View Post
Who says' he's sane? There nothing like a good old false dichotomy to prove a point eh?
So basically you are saying that if person is against nonsense and are fighting for real truth in lie heap he is insane...OK! Then i rather be insane than puppet of BS. Monkeyape lifestyle and belief you are one maybe gives you nice experience but you will soon realize something is not right..no wonder there is saying that unbelievable truth hurts more than believable lie.

Last edited by Arcane; 11-03-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: noyb
 
Old 11-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #156
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,582
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
So basically you are saying that if person is against nonsense and are fighting for real truth in lie heap he is insane...OK!
The point is: You aren't. You claim to fight for real truth, but in reality you do not question your sources or consider other options. You have already your explanation for everything and anyone who questions that is a "puppet of BS". That is not how fighting for the truth works.

Quote:
Monkeyape lifestyle and belief you are one
This has nothing to do with believe at all, it is a biological fact that we are apes.

Quote:
you will soon realize something is not right..no wonder there is saying that unbelievable truth hurts more than believable lie.
OK, let us play that game, tell us what the truth is and what the lies are. Back up your claims with facts, not some conspiracy theories from Youtube. Show us a proof for one of your claims, since it is the truth you must have evidence that, after serious research, make you believe what you claim.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #157
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,642

Rep: Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
This has nothing to do with believe at all, it is a biological fact that we are apes.
Um nope. We aren't apes, we aren't even descended from apes. We are on a different evolutionary branch but have a common ancestor.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #158
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Sitting in front of my computer.
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,132
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
No, there are monkies, apes and great apes. The great apes include chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos, orangutans and humans. Yes, we have a common ancestor/ancestress, depending on which sex one prefers to focus on. (ha, ha) The apes also had a common ancestral link. So did the monkies. Further back in time, those three common progenitors split from a common ancestral link.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #159
LinuxBestOS
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 7
UFOs, Big Rigs and BBQ
 
Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #160
baldy3105
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Distribution: Mint (Desktop), Debian (Server)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
So basically you are saying that if person is against nonsense and are fighting for real truth in lie heap he is insane...OK! Then i rather be insane than puppet of BS. Monkeyape lifestyle and belief you are one maybe gives you nice experience but you will soon realize something is not right..no wonder there is saying that unbelievable truth hurts more than believable lie.
I'm saying that anyone who adopts a view of reality that has no evidence to support it, and then interprets all alternative arguments and evidence in the light of that fantasy cannot be fully wired properly.

You claim to be against nonsense, and then you proceed to produce vast quantities of the stuff. Your entire argument is based on this false dichotomy - If we don't understand something, an external malign influence MUST be at fault.

There is no must about it. You offer one hypothesis. When someone offers a hypothesis as an explanation for a given phenomena, the next step is to offer evidence to demonstrate that your hypothesis has merit. This allows others to look for holes in your evidence or offer counter hypotheses with associated evidence, we can then asses these various explanations and select the one that appears to be the most consistent with our current understanding of the world.

This is how rationality mostly proceeds - in small tedious baby steps.

What you are doing is offering a hypothesis, but no evidence. When we ask for said evidence you simply repeat your hypothesis in different words, point at other people repeating your hypothesis, shrilly declare that we are all ignorant and mislead, attack our motives for deliberately misunderstanding you. Everything except do what you should be doing to support your argument.

These are all the hallmarks of religious argument, not scientific argument.
 
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #161
Arcane
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Latvia, Europe
Distribution: random
Posts: 287

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Another material that should make most people question this idea further:
Quote:
Is there anybody out there? Astronomers and dreamers have been asking this question since the dawn of humanity — and yet, the mystery remains. Are we the only life forms in the universe, or are neighbors like us lurking just beyond the reaches of our solar system? NASA has made it a mission to discover the truth. In March 2009, the space agency launched the Kepler Mission, a NASA Discovery program designed to look for possible life-supporting planets. In just the first 16 months of operation, Kepler has discovered 2,326 potential planets. s o u r c e
Recently there have been rumors about finding another planet(s) not just to find ETs but also further home for humans. Just imagine if we would actually succeed finding extra Earth to live on - even other lifeforms would be extra happy! Earth in current state is kinda messed up - ask anyone.
 
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #162
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,642

Rep: Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554
Yeah, so what's your point?

NASA is looking for planets like ours. That must automatically mean ET phoned home and built a pyramid or 10 around the world. Is that what you are saying now?
 
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #163
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Sitting in front of my computer.
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,132
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
Quote:
a NASA Discovery program designed to look for possible life-supporting planets.
A useless endeavour if the purpose is to find life. Earth life only exists in one place - here. But of course, people are driven by the ridiculous belief that life on other worlds will be just like here (and hence, can only exist on planets and moons that are just like Earth) and all intelligent beings in the universe must be bipedal humanoids, because we are the apex of evolution.
 
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #164
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,582
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
A useless endeavour if the purpose is to find life. Earth life only exists in one place - here. But of course, people are driven by the ridiculous belief that life on other worlds will be just like here (and hence, can only exist on planets and moons that are just like Earth) and all intelligent beings in the universe must be bipedal humanoids, because we are the apex of evolution.
That is not what scientists believe. Most (all?) of them are well aware that there can be different forms of life and that life on other planets would evolve different as it has done on Earth. There are some nice documentations about possibilities how such a life could look like, for example this one: http://youtu.be/zHzPEpHYtXQ
 
Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #165
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,642

Rep: Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
That is not what scientists believe.
Randicus didn't say scientist, he said "people" indicating, to me at least, it was a generic term intended to indicate laymen and their beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Most (all?) of them are well aware that there can be different forms of life and that life on other planets would evolve different as it has done on Earth. There are some nice documentations about possibilities how such a life could look like, for example this one: http://youtu.be/zHzPEpHYtXQ
Until we actually find "life" on other planets we have no idea what it will look like.

Last edited by k3lt01; 11-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
aliens, evolution, god, origins, religion


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is Grand Unified Builder ?? iamlinux Linux - General 3 02-15-2013 10:04 AM
Grand Rapids, MI? JesusFreak84 Linux User Groups (LUG) 1 02-02-2010 07:32 AM
Grand entrance prodigy0987 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 12-16-2006 02:51 PM
New site grand opening! erat123 General 1 11-21-2006 03:38 AM
Grand Theft Auto kurcz Linux - Games 7 12-14-2005 07:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration