LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,194

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z038 View Post
Ok, but I don't see why that makes a difference.
They're used for other purposes as well.

Using Android, you could trash my phone and tablet (using only my gmail login)
 
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #32
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,377

Rep: Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782
As I typed before. When logging into Hotmail I was faced with a screen which demanded a mobile phone number and gave an option below stating I could do this later but it was required.
So, there may be another option but the default option is to tell you you are required to enter a mobile phone number. If Microsoft don't mean "required" they should not use the word "required".
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,194

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
As I typed before. When logging into Hotmail I was faced with a screen which demanded a mobile phone number and gave an option below stating I could do this later but it was required.
So, there may be another option but the default option is to tell you you are required to enter a mobile phone number. If Microsoft don't mean "required" they should not use the word "required".
While I'm no fan of their OS either, your statement is still false (It all sounds as yet some more irrational MS-bashing.).

PS: MS just added a "security question" option as well.
See: http://oi41.tinypic.com/zuih09.jpg

Last edited by jens; 09-26-2013 at 08:36 AM.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #34
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,377

Rep: Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
While I'm no fan of their OS either, your statement is still false (It all sounds as yet some more irrational MS-bashing.).

PS: MS just added a "security question" option as well.
See: http://oi41.tinypic.com/zuih09.jpg
My statement is not false. I was confronted with a screen demanding a mobile phone number and a link at the bottom saying I could delay it so it would be required within 7 days. I did not get any other screens up but that one.
I apologise if you don't understand due to dialectal differences but in British English the word "required" means "must" and "not optional".
Kindly stop suggesting I am a liar. I don't make anything up to make MS, or anyone else, look bad and have been known to "defend" them (see any discussion on Secure Boot). I expect at least a little respect and to be taken at my word when I type something. I'll not wait another 7 days to screen-shot it as I think it beneath me to have to prove myself.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #35
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,194

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
My statement is not false. I was confronted with a screen demanding a mobile phone number and a link at the bottom saying I could delay it so it would be required within 7 days. I did not get any other screens up but that one.
I apologise if you don't understand due to dialectal differences but in British English the word "required" means "must" and "not optional".
Kindly stop suggesting I am a liar. I don't make anything up to make MS, or anyone else, look bad and have been known to "defend" them (see any discussion on Secure Boot). I expect at least a little respect and to be taken at my word when I type something. I'll not wait another 7 days to screen-shot it as I think it beneath me to have to prove myself.
Don't be such a drama queen. I've only replied because I do see you as an intelligent person.
If I somehow insulted you, I do humbly apologize for that (my native languages are Dutch and French, all English comes from programming and the movies).

I still think you simply overlooked all options in Hotmail though (that's not the same as calling you a liar).
... and no, "required" does not leave any room for other options in any language (hence why I still consider your statement false).
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #36
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 428

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Don't be such a drama queen. I've only replied because I do see you as an intelligent person.
If I somehow insulted you, I do humbly apologize for that (my native languages are Dutch and French, all English comes from programming and the movies).

I still think you simply overlooked all options in Hotmail though (that's not the same as calling you a liar).
... and no, "required" does not leave any room for other options in any language (hence why I still consider your statement false).
Oh, I see jens, you are calling me a liar about what has been happening! From the very start of this post I have told the truth and ONLY the truth. However at every posting you imply that it is a "Hacker"/I missread something/you don't believe MS would do something like this/everyone is wrong but YOU!

The very nature of your attitude and reply's alude to me being a liar or don't know how to read a message! When everyone else basically has talked about problems of the same sort. I DID NOT OVERLOOK any options whatsoever! I was flat out refused access to hotmail and gmail!
I opened up another email account with "OPERA" as suggested above. They let me have an account, but when I tried to send mail it was NO (I could receive mail), I had to give a cell phone number, my home phone number was a no as person after person on "there" forum said.

After all this you still seem to defend all of them by saying I am lieing, Hell, everyone is lieing, except YOU and whoever! That leads me to believe YOU are a "Ringer" on MS or someone's payroll that's paid to defend MS !

Last edited by Lola Kews; 09-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #37
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
I opened up another email account with "OPERA" as suggested above. They let me have an account, but when I tried to send mail it was NO (I could receive mail), I had to give a cell phone number, my home phone number was a no as person after person on "there" forum said.
I am starting to doubt your story as well, because I have never had this happen with fastmail or opera mail.

I don't know how it is possible that different e-mail accounts from different companies can all do the same thing all at once.

I know someone with a gmail account, which I will soon cancel and it has NOT threatened to close any mail account thus far.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
Reminder to everyone: The OP is asking about mail providers not tied to Microsoft. This thread is not about if you believe the OP that a phone number is required for some services, the meaning of the word required or the actions of three-letter-agencies.
So please, keep this thread on topic.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #39
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 428

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
I am starting to doubt your story as well, because I have never had this happen with fastmail or opera mail.

I don't know how it is possible that different e-mail accounts from different companies can all do the same thing all at once.

I know someone with a gmail account, which I will soon cancel and it has NOT threatened to close any mail account thus far.
You can believe what you want, I told the truth !
 
Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #40
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,194

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Kews View Post
Oh, I see jens, you are calling me a liar about what has been happening! From the very start of this post I have told the truth and ONLY the truth. However at every posting you imply that it is a "Hacker"/I missread something/you don't believe MS would do something like this/everyone is wrong but YOU!

The very nature of your attitude and reply's alude to me being a liar or don't know how to read a message! When everyone else basically has talked about problems of the same sort. I DID NOT OVERLOOK any options whatsoever! I was flat out refused access to hotmail and gmail!
I opened up another email account with "OPERA" as suggested above. They let me have an account, but when I tried to send mail it was NO (I could receive mail), I had to give a cell phone number, my home phone number was a no as person after person on "there" forum said.

After all this you still seem to defend all of them by saying I am lieing, Hell, everyone is lieing, except YOU and whoever! That leads me to believe YOU are a "Ringer" on MS or someone's payroll that's paid to defend MS !
Err... OK.
You caught me.

I'm a spy for MS and I'm also responsible for your troubles with our most competitive rival.
I've also included some backdoors in Debian and the upstream Linux subsystems (the usb and sata parts).

My goal is to rule the earth with a legion of pink ponies.

Sleep tight,
Jens.
 
Old 09-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
Lola Kews
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Posts: 428

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Well you should feel right at home now since some real AH's are running the Earth/country!

As for me catching you, NO, you started your idiotic rebutal to everything I said right from the start. Anyone with half a brain that reads the whole posting will be well aware of your position in the Linux community! You caught yourself!

Last edited by Lola Kews; 09-27-2013 at 02:17 PM.
 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #42
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,456

Rep: Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844
So I just logged in to my old hotmail account and I did get message about a phone number being "required", but it turns out the "required" refers to a phone number OR an alternate email. The wording does make it seem like a phone number is required, but it's actually not.
 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #43
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 3,377

Rep: Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubski View Post
So I just logged in to my old hotmail account and I did get message about a phone number being "required", but it turns out the "required" refers to a phone number OR an alternate email. The wording does make it seem like a phone number is required, but it's actually not.
Thank for taking the time out to check rather than accusing the OP and myself of lying.
It seems MS have chosen the wrong wording for their message and that could have misled people into thinking that a phone number is required.
To return to the original question I think most web hosting companies offer email hosting as well as web page hosting as either part of a package or a fairly low cost addition.
 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #44
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Debian Land
Posts: 1,337

Rep: Reputation: 83
From countermail
Quote:

About us
Every day, Internet users all over the world send millions of emails. The majority of these are transmitted without any form of encryption. When you send an unencrypted email, it can be monitored, analyzed and stored by many individuals and organizations.

Unencrypted emailing is like sending a postcard, but worse, since email gets copied and saved by the computers that pass it around the net in route for you. It can end up existing on several servers without you knowing it, for anyone to read, whether it was intended for them or not. We believe it's a human right to have privacy.

You should consider the importance of keeping communications secure from thieves and rival organizations, we strongly recommend you to only send data in an encrypted format.

In many countries, government sponsored organizations have been set up to collect massive amounts of data from the Internet, including emails, and store them for future analysis. This data collection is done without your knowledge or consent.

By using our services you can be assured that your data will be protected from data surveillance.

Other web based email services such as Hotmail and Gmail do not provide you with the same security and privacy features we provide; most email providers will reveal your identity and send your email unencrypted.

Our philosophy is simple; offer the most secure online email service on the Internet, with excellent free support.

CounterMail's secure servers are located in Sweden. You can contact us here. Here is an interview with one of the founders of Countermail.

Is it possible to use the openPGP 2048 encryption with MUTT, and with a gmail account, such as you give a key attached to the 2nd email to the mate you send your email?

Simply with Mutt and a regular gmail or whatever it is account? they wont decrypt it, even with your microsouft
 
Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #45
Z038
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 804

Rep: Reputation: 157Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
Is it possible to use the openPGP 2048 encryption with MUTT, and with a gmail account, such as you give a key attached to the 2nd email to the mate you send your email?
You might want to start a different thread for that question, as it is somewhat off topic for this one.

You'd have to have your mate's public key already in order to encrypt the mail you send to him. He would need your public key to send encrypted email back. How the two of you share your public keys is up to you. It's usually done by uploading your public key to public key servers. People sometimes post their public keys on web sites too.

There are possible trust and privacy concerns with public key servers. See, for example, the Privacy concerns and Problems with keyservers sections on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_se...yptographic%29
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
syslog-ng service not staying connected with some clients acid_kewpie Solaris / OpenSolaris 7 07-05-2013 04:27 PM
Microsoft client connected to a Linux server causing a reboot? sonjadraughn Linux - General 2 11-17-2008 12:06 PM
Email <--> fax service zoubidoo Linux - Networking 3 05-17-2005 06:55 PM
Email Service like Yahoo BizHat.com Linux - Software 0 08-18-2004 04:39 PM
Internet connected ,email works, but no web pages saurya_s Linux - Software 22 01-03-2004 01:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration