LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Do you think the US should get involved in another war (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/do-you-think-the-us-should-get-involved-in-another-war-4175474963/)

matrixworld 08-28-2013 01:39 AM

Do you think the US should get involved in another war
 
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/27/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

I have no opinion, but if this comes to pass this will just open more doors for terrorists to strike on US interests.

descendant_command 08-28-2013 02:10 AM

Two wars at a time is difficult even for a former superpower.
They should hold off until they have concluded the War on Freedom.

k3lt01 08-28-2013 02:14 AM

If going in to stop the real use of weapons whose only intent is to cause the mass suffering, if not destruction, of a people is the wrong thing to do then maybe the US should just sit back and watch it unfold in front of them.

Oneday the UN Security Council will not be afraid of Russia and China and actually do the right thing.

H_TeXMeX_H 08-28-2013 02:30 AM

My question is how/when will WWIII begin. With Syria or with Iran or maybe with both at the same time ? I'm thinking with Iran and there's still a few more years left.

Arcane 08-28-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 5017320)
My question is how/when will WWIII begin. With Syria or with Iran or maybe with both at the same time ? I'm thinking with Iran and there's still a few more years left.

Let's hope we won't go that far and will be another 'close call' instead of WW3. Seriously? People didn't learn anything from WW2 and WW1 - that these global wars are not only pointless but tragic above limits? :banghead:

911InsideJob 08-28-2013 07:21 AM

I don't understand why the USA is helping al-Qaeda in Syria create anarchy and chaos. I hope the Syrian government can restore order so the Syrian people can be safe and secure again. It's not like they've been blowing up skyscrapers full of their own people, like on Sept. 11th 2001, or burning women and children alive with white phosphorus, like in Falujah. http://4crito.com

H_TeXMeX_H 08-28-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcane (Post 5017455)
Let's hope we won't go that far and will be another 'close call' instead of WW3. Seriously? People didn't learn anything from WW2 and WW1 - that these global wars are not only pointless but tragic above limits? :banghead:

I think only an individual can learn from the past, and only if they examine it very closely for misinformation. The price to pay if you don't ...

If everyone learns, then there will not be a war, but that's not possible, so there must be a war. It has a point, in fact it has many.

sundialsvcs 08-28-2013 08:55 AM

I don't know if they should, but they unquestionably will. Drinking once again from the kool-aid that says that "there is such a thing as 'a winnable war,'" or at least a nice "surgical" one with no long-term consequences, the US will above all else look to the $$profit$$ that comes from ... for example ... "no fly zones" (billions of dollars a month), military bases the size of small cities (and the endlessly-lucrative contracts to supply them), and of course, weapons and materiel.

"War is a Racket." The most-decorated military officer in the United States at that time, Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler, minced no words about what he saw. And this two-time Congressional Medal of Honor winner, this recipient of the Distinguished Service Medal, this person who had earned every commissioned rank in the Marine Corps ("Semper Fi!") that there was to be earned, knew what he saw and he also knew why.

A generation later, General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower coined the term, military-industrial complex to describe the abuses that he saw from the point-of-view of the only military rank that outranks Butler: Commander-in-Chief. He warned that the price of "one heavy bomber" (in 1950) was equivalent to "two fine, well-equipped hospitals." (Heh... Little did he know that the day would come when Americans cannot enter those "fine" hospitals without facing bankruptcy, and that hospitals would be closing because they are "unprofitable.")

Both of these Commanders realized from first-hand experience that there is no "military" justification for these institutions, nor for incessant war-mongering, other than the financial profit of the entities that are not-so secretly behind them.

Today, 95% of the Members of the US Congress do not know what they are voting for, or even that they are voting for anything, because they "don't have security clearances." Huh?! Several people face lifetime prison sentences, or worse, merely for revealing the existence of these boondoggles.

"When is World War III coming?" It is already here. Un-declared, un-official, never-ending, and world-wide. Like a ravenous cancer, it is eating the economy of nations from the inside out. Including yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermann Goering:
Of course the people don't want war. Why would any slob want to leave the farm to go to war when the best that he can hope for is to get back to the same farm in one piece? But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.

(The complete description of the context surrounding this authentic quote can be found at http://www.snopes.com/quotes/goering.asp. The conversation at the end of the page is chilling.)

H_TeXMeX_H 08-28-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundialsvcs (Post 5017541)
"When is World War III coming?" It is already here. Un-declared, un-official, never-ending, and world-wide. Like a ravenous cancer, it is eating the economy of nations from the inside out. Including yours.

I disagree. Sure there is an ongoing war, but it's not really a world war. Trust me, you'll know when it is here.

sundialsvcs 08-28-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 5017551)
I disagree. Sure there is an ongoing war, but it's not really a world war. Trust me, you'll know when it is here.

Yes, I used to think so too, Tex. But there are three problems with "conventional" war: they are actually called "wars," they are to be declared, and then at some point in the future (after suitably-barbaric and exhausting bloodshed) they must end. From the point-of-view of those who have discovered that a government will spend money on War even to the detriment of its own people (as the USA is certainly doing now), "The End" is the problem. There is vastly more money to be made in selling swords than in selling plowshares.

After WW2 ended, war itself changed. It became "conflicts," "engagements," in short, anything but "war." It was proclaimed to have "purpose," and it was as much as possible pushed completely out of public view. (You will see endless "sideboob" on American television 'news,' but you will never see a picture of a flag-draped coffin, much less a transport-plane stuffed with them like the ones that fly into Edwards AFB every single night.) The financial drag became enormous ... this is essentially where the US National Debt (sic) is coming from ... and people are simply being told that "we can't afford to" do anything . . . except . . . this new version of world war.

Arcane 08-28-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 5017511)
{...}so there must be a war. It has a point, in fact it has many.

O rly? OK then..show those points in that case cause for average normal person with logic and common sense global war doesn't make any reasonable points(money profit from weapon sales doesn't help humanity) unlike smaller scale of war which also could be questioned. No wonder even Albert Einstein once said:
Quote:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

H_TeXMeX_H 08-28-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcane (Post 5017562)
money profit from weapon sales doesn't help humanity

It helps someone somewhere, and there's more to gain than just money. As for "humanity", it's a rather ambiguous term nowadays. They do a lot of things for "humanitarian" reasons, and yet I can't figure out what they mean by this. To "help humanity" is just as ambiguous as "to serve man" ;)

teckk 08-28-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

They should hold off until they have concluded the War on Freedom.
That remark is right on target.

Maybe we could sent the TSA in to fondle the enemy into submission. If that doesn't work then send the member of the Muslim brotherhood that lives in the US white house to bow to their leaders, and kiss their hands. Or tell them Mushel is coming over to monitor their diet and won't leave until they comply. Or force them to look at a picture of Hillary until they surrender. Or make them listen to John (who serves in Vietnam) Kerry for an hour non stop....This can be solved without bloodshed.

DavidMcCann 08-28-2013 11:03 AM

US policy in the area is dictated by the desire to support two "allies": Saudi Arabia and Israel. (What did they ever do in return? Finance Al Qaida and sink the Liberty.) The Saudis hate Assad because he supports Shiite resistance to Sunni persecution, while the Israelis hate him because he supports Arab resistance to Jewish persecution. Therefore, the USA is eager to make war on him.

Remember how the Taliban came to power in Afghanistan? Financed by the USA, who regarded them as an ally against the Soviets! Then the US had to go to war to get them out. Will they end up having to go to war to get Al Qaida out of Syria?

Syria is one of the few places in the region where no-one is discriminated against because of their religion or ethnicity. Since Saddam Hussein was deposed, half the Christians in Iraq have fled. Already the Christians of Syria are fleeing the areas under rebel control. No wonder that (as the Catholic Herald reports) they are praying for Bashar al-Assad. And this is what's to be overthrown by a president who referred to himself as a "devout Christian".

As for Britain, Cameron is Obama's lap dog: he'll do as he's told. "Go on, fire your missiles. Good boy!"

m.a.l.'s pa 08-28-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Do you think the US should get involved in another war
No.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.