LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   carrying USB sticks on keychains (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/carrying-usb-sticks-on-keychains-4175456048/)

newbiesforever 03-29-2013 02:38 PM

carrying USB sticks on keychains
 
Many USB sticks contain holes for putting them on keyrings. I think linking your USB stick to your keys is a foolish idea, because it guarantees that if you lose one, you lose both. I'm absent-minded and lose things (or forget to take them with me when I need them) all the time, so I wouldn't do it.

ntubski 03-29-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbiesforever (Post 4921191)
I think linking your USB stick to your keys is a foolish idea, because it guarantees that if you lose one, you lose both. I'm absent-minded and lose things (or forget to take them with me when I need them) all the time, so I wouldn't do it.

On the other hand, it's twice as hard to hang on to 2 things as it is 1. Either way, you have backup keys and backups of the USB stick's data, right?

jefro 03-29-2013 09:57 PM

I've heard that people with many keys and junk on their keychain end up having to replace expensive car locks. The weight damages them or causes the locks to fail early.


A security test was reported to have been conducted. A team would spread usb keys over some area. Parking lots and even rest rooms. They'd check have a program run to tell them who put the keys in their computers. I think they said some percentage of usb flash keys were put into company computers. People just couldn't resist the temptation to see what was on the key.

273 03-29-2013 10:59 PM

I make it part of my routine to ensure I know where my wallet and keys are. I don't profess to know that I will never lose them but checking that they are in the correct pocket is part of my routine even when drunk. They have designated pockets and if they're missing then it is an absolute emergency and means that I have lost my identity and all my possessions.
If you're being cavalier enough about your possessions that you lose your house keys it's likely you're lose a USB stick also.

H_TeXMeX_H 03-30-2013 08:24 AM

I have a thin USB stick and I carry it in my wallet. Of course, I could also carry it on my keys, but my keys tend to get dropped a lot. Yes, I am somewhat clumsy at least with keys.

cynwulf 03-30-2013 10:06 AM

Unless you encrypt your data, it's foolish.

H_TeXMeX_H 03-30-2013 10:43 AM

I keep it in case I can't just e-mail myself the data. I don't use it for permanent data storage. In theory it would be safer to transmit data using USB sticks rather than e-mail even if it is unencrypted.

newbiesforever 03-30-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4921553)
I have a thin USB stick and I carry it in my wallet.

That sounds somewhat safer than attaching it to your keys. Thin USB sticks? Are they not more fragile?

H_TeXMeX_H 03-30-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbiesforever (Post 4921685)
That sounds somewhat safer than attaching it to your keys. Thin USB sticks? Are they not more fragile?

Maybe, but it depends. I'd say they are no more fragile than a credit card. Certainly the possibility of dropping it is worse than keeping it in your wallet.

It hasn't broken yet, and it has been with me for more than 6 years. It has also been washed in the washing machine and is still working fine and very fast (faster than my newer Corsair Voyager that is made for a keychain).

I have one of these:
http://content.etilize.com/500/10495565.jpg

But now they make credit card shaped ones (some with a metallic coating), which would fit better in a wallet and would be more durable, something like:
http://www.pqigroup.com/files/20111010194909002.jpg

JWJones 03-30-2013 02:09 PM

I primarily bicycle commute, and my USB flash drives are kept in a zippered pocket in my backpack, unless they are being used. I carry the bare minimum of keys on my keychain, and nothing else, because my keys are always in my right hip pocket, and I dislike having too much bulk in my pockets.

Speedy624 03-30-2013 02:21 PM

I tend to keep my usb stick in a zipped pocket in my coat or the small sized pocket in my jeans. Have been doing so for approx 2 years, no problems yet.

YellowApple 04-07-2013 11:29 PM

I personally keep one USB drive on my keyring and one or two others in either a jacket pocket or my bag. I don't drive, so I don't have a bulky car key or fob to deal with, leaving much more room for the USB key (though the ring itself is pretty thick, so the USB stick doesn't move very freely).

However, I really only use my USB keys for OS installations and the occasional immediate transfer of a large amount of data at once; I do most of my file transfers between computers over a network (usually LAN, though occasionally WAN over VPN if I'm working outside my apartment), and my more important files (vital family photos, important documents, etc.) are stored in 7-zipped tarballs on various cloud hosting services for redundancy, in addition to removable media (either USB drives or DVDs) that I stash away at relatives' homes (usually those where I already have some things of mine stored) in case the North Koreans launch their nukes (HHOS).

newbiesforever 04-09-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4921722)
Maybe, but it depends. I'd say they are no more fragile than a credit card. Certainly the possibility of dropping it is worse than keeping it in your wallet.

It hasn't broken yet, and it has been with me for more than 6 years. It has also been washed in the washing machine and is still working fine and very fast (faster than my newer Corsair Voyager that is made for a keychain).

I have one of these:
http://content.etilize.com/500/10495565.jpg

But now they make credit card shaped ones (some with a metallic coating), which would fit better in a wallet and would be more durable, something like:
http://www.pqigroup.com/files/20111010194909002.jpg

I can't tell the dimensions of those from the picture. But I'm interested in these thin USB sticks because, USB ports may be lined up close enough (probably in the back of a computer, as in mine) that you can't plug in two next to each other horizontally--they get in each other's way. If there are sticks with dimensions to avoid that, I'm interested.

273 04-09-2013 11:48 AM

You can get USB sticks now that are thinner than the port itself as they don't have the surround just the pins.
Personally I've a tiny stick that's like the tiny Bluetooth dongles you get and I keep it in one of the coin compartments in my wallet.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.