LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Browsers: Can They be Trusted? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/browsers-can-they-be-trusted-4175462365/)

cwizardone 05-17-2013 11:52 AM

Browsers: Can They be Trusted?
 
Can we really trust the browser developers to protect our privacy?

I use all the "protection" provided, but still get the feeling the browsers are purposely "leaking" information.

An example, with either Firefox or Opera, I've gone on travel sites looking for information about hotels, restaurant, banking, etc., then I've deleted the cache, history, etc., etc., etc. before moving on to other sites. However, when I go to the next, totally unrelated site, there will be advertisements for things related to what I had been reading on the other sites.

Once I brushing up on bicycle components and tires and the next time I went to distrowatch.com, after deleting "private data," there were advertisements for a related product.

Something has to wrong.

If they, the companies who make the browsers, need the income from feeding our data to companies, i.e., they should definitely be up front about it and put it in the disclosure document in bold print, so we know to avoid using their browser.

I guess the ultimate question becomes, is there really such a thing as a secure browser?

nonamedotc 05-17-2013 12:04 PM

I was under the impression that targeted ads are based on the IP (except in the cases where one needs an account). Have you tried the same thing with a different IP rather than just clearing the cache? I might be completely wrong here though.

JWJones 05-17-2013 12:13 PM

I don't have the same experience using Firefox. Do you have "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" checked, under "Privacy?"

Then again, I also use Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and NoScript, so that probably accounts for a lot.

H_TeXMeX_H 05-17-2013 12:23 PM

You cannot trust anyone with your privacy. You just have to be careful and try to maintain your privacy.

I also use Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and NoScript. I do not notice too many ads, as most are blocked, but if there are ads they don't seem to be targeted at me. I know on youtube it recognizes my IP and gives me videos from that country by default.

Also make sure to read:
http://dontbubble.us/

nonamedotc 05-17-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4953225)
I know on youtube it recognizes my IP and gives me videos from that country by default.

That's been my observation too! Further, if you right click on the video and take the speed test, it will give a comparison of internet speeds that includes the city you are in, state, country and world! It gives this level of information at least in the US.

JWJones 05-17-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4953225)
You cannot trust anyone with your privacy. You just have to be careful and try to maintain your privacy.

Yup, bottom line.

Quote:

Also make sure to read:
http://dontbubble.us/
Yeah, DON'T USE GOOGLE! DuckDuckGo or Startpage for searches.

Mr. Alex 05-17-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Can we really trust the browser developers to protect our privacy?
No. It's not their job to protect your privacy.

Quote:

I use all the "protection" provided, but still get the feeling the browsers are purposely "leaking" information.
They don't provide “protection”. While on the Internet, protecting yourself is your own business. As for leaking of information, all your Internet-activity leaks everytime you do anything online. Your ISP most likely keeps it on record. Websites you visit and different analytics/statistics services imbedded to websites (like Google Analytics, etc...)... All you do on the Internet is almost always stored anywhere. To prevent it, just stop connecting to Internet.

Quote:

An example, with either Firefox or Opera, I've gone on travel sites looking for information about hotels, restaurant, banking, etc., then I've deleted the cache, history, etc., etc., etc. before moving on to other sites. However, when I go to the next, totally unrelated site, there will be advertisements for things related to what I had been reading on the other sites.
Did you delete all cookies and sqlite data from Firefox (if you use Firefox)?

Quote:

Something has to wrong.
...long ago...

Quote:

I guess the ultimate question becomes, is there really such a thing as a secure browser?
No.

Mr. Alex 05-17-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJones (Post 4953229)
Yeah, DON'T USE GOOGLE! DuckDuckGo or Startpage for searches.

You can use Google if in private mode everytime. They can't record you this way, system just loses track of you with every restart of private mode.

jdkaye 05-17-2013 12:52 PM

Do you use Abine? It seems pretty good a stopping anyone tracking you. Here's what it tells me:
Quote:

Cool! Your all-time total is: 52,791 blocked
For example on this very website it has blocked Google +1 and Google Analytics. I also use WOT (web of trust) and HON (for health related websites).
I agree with the suggestions posted above.
ciao,
jdk

Doug Huffman 05-17-2013 12:52 PM

I use Firefox with a suite of security related addons, most significantly Better Privacy. But see Panopticlick from EFF.org to learn that one cannot win for losing. https://panopticlick.eff.org/

fogpipe 05-17-2013 01:54 PM

Short answer, no. Long answer nooooooooooooooo.

I have this in my hosts file, I beleive it helps, at least with google and chrome.
If anyone has any other google or tracking domains that should be included, i would love to hear about it.

Quote:

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 googleapis.com

haertig 05-17-2013 02:02 PM

Glad I saw this thread. I have been using Noscript and AdBlockPlus for years, but had never heard of Ghostery. I have it installed now.

JWJones 05-17-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fogpipe (Post 4953269)
I have this in my hosts file, I beleive it helps, at least with google and chrome. If anyone has any other google or tracking domains that should be included, i would love to hear about it.

This may be overkill, but I like it. :D

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

jefro 05-17-2013 03:33 PM

It is not only browsers but all applications and even the kernel that can lead to attack, data theft, malware and virus.

I would agree with all the others here that say no is the answer. Your data is not secure.

fogpipe 05-17-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJones (Post 4953298)
This may be overkill, but I like it. :D

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

WOW :D thanks, i think :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.