LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   Boycott the entertainment industry (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/boycott-the-entertainment-industry-924801/)

H_TeXMeX_H 01-20-2012 09:26 AM

Boycott the entertainment industry
 
When the SOPA/PIPA bill passes, it will take away a great deal of our freedom with it. I argue that this bill is NOT really about piracy, as much as it is about censorship. With it they are capable of shutting down any site just by posting one link in it. This is a massive abuse of power.

As I have always been and always will be an advecate of peaceful protest, which has been demonstrated by the great Ghandi to be the best and most successful means of protest, I propose a complete boycott of the entertainment industry, especially those affiliated with the MPAA/RIAA, who are so very greedy and are the main pushers behind this bill. And, of course, the ones pushing them are the big companies in the entertainment industry.

This means:
Do NOT buy any movies with the MPAA logo on them (nearly all)
Do NOT buy any audio CDs with the RIAA logo on them (nearly all)
Do NOT rent movies.
Do NOT buy anything DRM'd.
Cancel your cable and satellite subscription.
Cancel any service that is associated with the MPAA/RIAA.
Do NOT support anything associated with the MPAA/RIAA.

They think that we need them. We need to show them that this is NOT true. It is them that need us. They, along with the help of the gubmint (I won't say anything about them here), have abused their power, they have gotten too greedy. We need to put them in their place.

I am 110% against any violent or aggressive or illegal action against them, as has been demonstrated by the gubmint black ops group known as Anonymous. Their tactics will lead to further rights restrictions and new draconian legislation. Peaceful protest is the only way to achieve anything.

I know many of you will respond with "it's impossible". Well tell me why it's not possible. Is it because you need "entertainment" ? You're willing to give up your freedom for entertainment ?

I don't think it will last long anyway. When they see that their profits are being severely damaged, they will undo this evil, because their greed is greater than your need.

angel115 01-20-2012 09:43 AM

I already apply this rule to France (where I leave at the moment) to protest against HADOPI. Which is a French "light" SPOPA like law.

:tisk:

H_TeXMeX_H 01-20-2012 10:14 AM

Indeed, thanks for bringing that up. In other countries across the globe, similar acts are being passed (there are rumors that they are pressured into it), the same must be done there.

I found this article on some other countries with similar laws:
http://www.josetteorama.com/patentsc...nd-it-goes-on/

easuter 01-20-2012 01:37 PM

In Portugal, the Sociedade Portuguesa de Autores (something similar to MPAA/RIAA) are trying to get the government to approve a law that would apply a tax to data storage devices, per megabyte or gigabyte. The supposed objective is to curb piracy...

Source: http://gilbertojsousapereira.wordpre...pa-portuguesa/ (stick it in the google translator)

It's just mind-boggling how out of touch with reality these people are.
Instead of heading to my local computer shop to get a HDD, I'll just order it from somewhere else in the union (I hear Amazon UK is offering free shipping, splendid). The end result is that local business will lose money and the government will lose VAT income since the purchases are from abroad. I also won't have to pay any customs charges if the point of origin is in the EU.

These people are crooks and extortionists.

Telengard 01-20-2012 02:01 PM

Capitalism. The purpose of business is seeking profit. How does a business seek profit? One would assume they must offer a desirable product or service at a price which the market will bear. In doing so, both to producer and consumer benefit.

Given the unrestricted nature of the Internet, businesses have hitherto unheard of opportunities to seek profit. There are many proven, successful models to seek profit through the Internet, and many more yet to be defined.

But now we see what happens when you give these people unlimited potential for profit. Instead of seeking to better serve consumers, they seek to restrict access to media in ways which favor some businesses over others. This is the opposite of capitalism. These people are not capitalists.

Nearly 100% of the entertainment media I consume now comes to me via the Internet. I don't expect that to change any time soon. If they won't meet my needs, they don't need my money.

http://2briancox.wordpress.com/2011/...ad-about-sopa/

frankbell 01-20-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4579835)
I argue that this bill is NOT really about piracy, as much as it is about censorship. With it they are capable of shutting down any site just by posting one link in it. This is a massive abuse of power.

I agree with the abuse of power part, but I don't think it's about censorship, except peripherally.

I think it's ultimately about trying to subject the internet to corporate control.

jefro 01-20-2012 08:46 PM

I disagree but you are welcome to boycott all you want.

I enjoy music and movies. I don't care how much money the people who product them make. The movie and music industry also contains millions of support and associated humans who have made a life in their chosen profession. I feel that if I could produce works of art and beauty and entertainment then I too should profit from my skills and talent.

Everyone wants to be offered a chance to provide for their family and company. If you want to you can still purchase any legal product.

k3lt01 01-20-2012 10:38 PM

I can't help but think no government would take you seriously unless you can show them you are actually able to spell government. This "gubmint" bit that you go on with lowers the standard of your politically motivated posts. It is saying to the masses, and also the governments, that you are either uneducated (which apparently, by your own admission, you're not), or simply someone who couldn't care about doing things the right way. I can totally understand spelling mistakes (I myself am not a brilliant speller) but seriously what person would follow your lead when you talk (write) like a 5 year old.

alan_ri 01-21-2012 10:58 AM

World is a fscked up place, and Tex believe it or not, I have come to know you here over the years and I understand how you feel, but believe me time has come. No more Mr.Nice guy. What Anonymous started to do is the right thing.

The evil that's burried in some people, will either take over this world or we will fight against it. Without any mercy.

People are on their knees, everywhere. No job, no money, no freedom, no hope, no faith, no future. What else they should do for you to fight.

Remember, some people don't forget, some people don't forgive.

craigevil 01-21-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan_ri (Post 4580721)
What Anonymous started to do is the right thing.

Heck yeah! Wish I knew how to do the things they do.

SOPA or something similar is going to happen, probably as part of some social spending bill to help kids, the poor, elderly etc. Things get attached to other bills and passed all the time.

As long as corporations own the politicians nothing will change.

H_TeXMeX_H 01-21-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan_ri (Post 4580721)
World is a fscked up place, and Tex believe it or not, I have come to know you here over the years and I understand how you feel, but believe me time has come. No more Mr.Nice guy. What Anonymous started to do is the right thing.

The evil that's burried in some people, will either take over this world or we will fight against it. Without any mercy.

People are on their knees, everywhere. No job, no money, no freedom, no hope, no faith, no future. What else they should do for you to fight.

Remember, some people don't forget, some people don't forgive.

I don't forget, and I don't usually forgive.

However, I think you are wrong. Anonymous is doing something against our cause. What do their attacks prove ? Who do they support ?

They prove that terrorist hackers are a threat to national security and more legislation needs to be passed to stop them. They support the gubmint's cause, not ours. There is no reasoning behind their actions. There is only hate, and a will to destroy the indestructible.

The gubmint will answer, "we do not deal with terrorists", they can attack and take down all the sites they want, they will make every hacker good and bad an enemy of the state, and they will be eradicated. This is not what we want. This is what they want.

It doesn't hurt them even in the slightest if you DDOS their sites, they can get them back up and ban an IP range. Not a big deal for them, they lose very little. The impact is mostly in the media, where they are shown as evil terrorist hackers.

Something that would really hurt these corporations would be to take away their money, their profit. That cannot be done by a group of hackers, and even if it is, they will be the enemy. You don't want to be the enemy, you want to be the hero. To be the hero, you must act in a morally correct way. This means that the only solution is to stop supporting the corporations. Boycott everything they make. You are their lifeblood, without you they get no profit. If you stop buying, they stop making a profit. They will give in first, because they will be hurt badly by these measures, it will hurt something that they care about most ... money, profit.

Anonymous is a trap set by the gubmint. They will lead the people into war they cannot win, a war against themselves.

Hope is not money. Hope comes from within. Don't think that they can make you lose hope.

k3lt01 01-21-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
What do their attacks prove ? Who do they support ?

They prove that terrorist hackers are a threat to national security and more legislation needs to be passed to stop them. They support the gubmint's cause, not ours. There is no reasoning behind their actions. There is only hate, and a will to destroy the indestructible.

The gubmint will answer, "we do not deal with terrorists",

This is a very important thing, what do anyone's actions prove? What are you proving? You have shown time and again you cannot (or is it will not) reason like an adult, you have shown time and again that you cannot (or is it will not) discuss things without resorting to a silly and childish usage of words. You have shown you hate governments (you can't even type the word properly because of your contempt for the institution). What does this prove? It proves to anyone who wants to discuss things like this that you are either a troll or just someone who wants their 15MB of fame. It is really about time that you actually did something instead of just hopping onto forums and writing about how bad everyone else is.

frankbell 01-21-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
Anonymous is doing something against our cause. What do their attacks prove ? Who do they support ?

Defacing websites and DDOS's are the internet equivalent of toilet-papering someone's yard or watermelon-ing someone's mailbox.

This doesn't mean that I don't find myself taking guilty pleasure in waking up and finding that someone t-ped some bad guy's yard, but I sure don't think it furthers any causes or influences the uncommitted in a positive way or leads to long-term improvements.

Hak5fan 01-21-2012 10:48 PM

deleted

alan_ri 01-22-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)

However, I think you are wrong. Anonymous is doing something against our cause. What do their attacks prove ? Who do they support ?

They don't. What they prove is that FBI for example can be shutdown, in many ways. They support ordinary people, whos freedom or rights have been taken away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
They prove that terrorist hackers are a threat to national security and more legislation needs to be passed to stop them. They support the gubmint's cause, not ours. There is no reasoning behind their actions. There is only hate, and a will to destroy the indestructible.

Every action made by Anonymous, for what I know, had a good reason behind it. Maybe you believe in national security too much. I remember when you and I discussed 9 11 here. Have you changed your mind, or do you now believe that terrorist did all that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
he gubmint will answer, "we do not deal with terrorists", they can attack and take down all the sites they want, they will make every hacker good and bad an enemy of the state, and they will be eradicated. This is not what we want. This is what they want.

Well that's something that needs to change, in some heads. Remember Wikileaks? When FBI hunted down even young kids. Why? Because no truth should be publicly known. How many people are in your USofA prisons who did nothing wrong, but it was wrong to some folks in the USofA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
It doesn't hurt them even in the slightest if you DDOS their sites, they can get them back up and ban an IP range. Not a big deal for them, they lose very little. The impact is mostly in the media, where they are shown as evil terrorist hackers.

As I said, they need to know they can be shutdown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
Something that would really hurt these corporations would be to take away their money, their profit. That cannot be done by a group of hackers, and even if it is, they will be the enemy. You don't want to be the enemy, you want to be the hero. To be the hero, you must act in a morally correct way. This means that the only solution is to stop supporting the corporations. Boycott everything they make. You are their lifeblood, without you they get no profit. If you stop buying, they stop making a profit. They will give in first, because they will be hurt badly by these measures, it will hurt something that they care about most ... money, profit.

Well here I agree, except that you're wrong about some things. Hero is just another word for the enemy, because you can't be a hero if you're not an enemy. Whoever is righteous will do the right thing and they can call him or her however they like.
Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
Anonymous is a trap set by the gubmint. They will lead the people into war they cannot win, a war against themselves.

If that's so, than you must think that people are stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 4580841)
Hope is not money. Hope comes from within. Don't think that they can make you lose hope.

I know what is hope, because I have a lot of it in me. Money is one of the biggest evils on this planet, but as it is, it makes a difference for many. If one doesn't work (legal work I mean) one won't have money, no money no food, no food no life. So, one wants to work, but one can't get a job, What now? You might wanna explain that to few billions of people?

@craigevil
If you want I could show you where to get or read good books and documents about hacking, for free.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.