LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #1096
RedNeck-LQ
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 11

The only reason M$ has the numbers is because their OS is on every computer in online and offline stores. The consumers have no other choice.

Linux rules!!!

Last edited by RedNeck-LQ; 07-09-2011 at 01:57 PM.
 
Old 07-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #1097
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
So just because they use M$ doesn't mean they chose too. It could be that most of them don't know of any alternative except for Macs. So your numbers don't mean as much as you think.
hmmm they use but aren't actually making a choice

then qualified by "It could be that most of them.."

coulda shoulda woulda is not even a strawman argument

people make their choices, even without directly answering**, including those who chose to blame other things

**iow, actions speak louder that words, not to mention facts vs bs
 
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #1098
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck-LQ View Post
The only reason M$ has the numbers is because their OS is on every computer in online and offline stores. The consumers have no other choice.

Linux rules!!!
the consumer not only has a choice, but mostly chose to spend/waste money on win stuff,

having no choice is a lame victim argument that sez nothing about linux ruling anything

linux has a long way to go ..way too many issues for most folks
 
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #1099
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck-LQ View Post
The only reason M$ has the numbers is because their OS is on every computer in online and offline stores. The consumers have no other choice.

Linux rules!!!
the reality is this part
Quote:
M$ has the numbers is because their OS is on every computer in online and offline stores.
and the reality to linux rather than ruling dreams is 'why is that'?

if linux was as easy as some folks claim, it would be a no brainier for folks

folks decide by their choices particularly if it involves having to spend some dough vs a free option
 
Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #1100
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post
hmmm they use but aren't actually making a choice

then qualified by "It could be that most of them.."

coulda shoulda woulda is not even a strawman argument

people make their choices, even without directly answering**, including those who chose to blame other things

**iow, actions speak louder that words, not to mention facts vs bs
Choice implies you know of a alternative. If you don't know that Linux exists, then you use windoze because it is all you know about plus it is already on computers that are pre-built, Dell, Gateway etc. So, people use it because they don't know of the alternatives.

As for blaming things, I blame M$ for their crappy OS. They made it you know. lol

 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #1101
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Choice implies you know of a alternative. If you don't know that Linux exists, then you use windoze because it is all you know about plus it is already on computers that are pre-built, Dell, Gateway etc. So, people use it because they don't know of the alternatives.

As for blaming things, I blame M$ for their crappy OS. They made it you know. lol

well, i have a much higher opinion of folks than you do and the blame game gets no one anywhere

the idea that folks pay money for something that is harder is a joke, particularly when there is a free alternative,

that argument even put forward only proves zero credibility which is what linux has with most folks

linux ain't going anywhere without at least being real and or open minded

btw, i'm not a win fan but am a fan of reality vs bs

Last edited by jonyo; 07-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #1102
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post
particularly when there is a free alternative
How do you think they'll find out about Linux?
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #1103
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post
well, i have a much higher opinion of folks than you do and the blame game gets no one anywhere

the idea that folks pay money for something that is harder is a joke, particularly when there is a free alternative,

that argument even put forward only proves zero credibility which is what linux has with most folks

linux ain't going anywhere without at least being real and or open minded

btw, i'm not a win fan but am a fan of reality vs bs
I think you need to read more. You are missing the point completely and it shows. I have mentioned that I use Linux to LOTS of people. They have never heard of it and most even think it is some sort of program you install like Norton or something. Those people didn't have a choice because they didn't know there was a alternative to M$. They also have Dell or Gateway that is prebuilt for them. Can Dell or Gateway even sell a home computer without M$ installed? Even if they do have a few, do they advertise them or anything so that people know there is a choice other than M$?

If you can't see that, then it is not me that is making a "strawmans" argument or just providing "BS". Go look in the mirror.


Last edited by dalek; 07-09-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #1104
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
How do you think they'll find out about Linux?
perhaps linux should ask itself ~ how can we get the user to find us or why aren't they?!

the end user just wants the goods, even if they have to pay, end of story

funny how you focus on the user like it's their problem,

perhaps linux has it backwards with a lousy attitude to begin with
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #1105
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I think you need to read more. You are missing the point completely and it shows.
your point is moot at best but mostly irrelevant

bottom line is we agree to disagree

overall, reminds me of linux

meanwhile M$ is raking in the dough

i don't see alota focus in linuxland, it's all over the place

not to mention laced with tons of "big talk", if not pointless mainstream themes, when the facts speak otherwise

Last edited by jonyo; 07-09-2011 at 03:45 PM.
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #1106
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post
your point is moot at best but mostly irrelevant

bottom line is we agree to disagree

overall, reminds me of linux

meanwhile M$ is raking in the dough

i don't see alota focus in linuxland, it's all over the place

not to mention laced with tons of "big talk", if not pointless mainstream themes, when the facts speak otherwise
I don't think it is moot or irrelevant and I suspect others don't either as you are the only one that has posted anything to disagree with the point.

Just because M$ is raking in the dough doesn't mean they have better product. The big talk you talk about is mostly about how good M$ is. People that use something else know better than to claim that. They have been educated as it were. lol

 
Old 07-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #1107
jonyo
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Distribution: looking at VectorLinux 6.0 Light, PCLinuxOS phoenix
Posts: 195

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Just because M$ is raking in the dough doesn't mean they have better product.

if i'm interested in a sideshow, i'll let you or your friends know
 
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #1108
dalek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Mississippi USA
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 2,058
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post
if i'm interested in a sideshow, i'll let you or your friends know
I thought it was the other way around. This is a LINUX forum you know?

 
Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #1109
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 391
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyo View Post
and that my friends translates mostly to an insignificant minority

if linux truly was a user friendly experience, not to mention it is mostly free, folks would flock to it

numbers as in most things tells the tale
I know I'm probably rehashing what's been said 1000 times....but I can't resist...

The average consumer who buys their first computer just doesn't have a clue. They buy a computer...Win-D'ohs is on it...that's what they use. Windows screws up/performs poorly after a few months...they take their computer to a repair shop, where it gets "fixed", usually by fixing Windows or reformatting.

They learn how to use Windows...so even if they hear that there is something better and free, they are afraid that they will have to learn everything all over again.

Since Windows comes on virtually every new PC, the software writers write mainly for Windows....

Now that computers are in virtually every school- and most of them probably have a Windows OS....people naturally use the OS they're familiar with, and since it comes on the computers they buy....

It's a vicious cycle.....

MS has put more effort into creating that vicious cycle than they have in engineering a good OS.

When I hear of friends and acquaintances having computer Windows problems, I tell them about Linux, and a good number of them are thrilled to find out that there is an alternative which they had never before heard about.

There are lots of Mac users out there who are willing to pay (and pay, and pay...) for an alternative to Windows- simply because they know of that alternative, due to advertising and common knowledge. Imagine if as many people knew that there were FREE alternatives which work even better; offer more software choices (also free); Are not prone to viruses and problems; and will will work with the PC they currently own?!
 
Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #1110
SigTerm
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 379

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Not quite true. Because M$ has the money to advertise and all, most people have never heard of Linux. So just because they use M$ doesn't mean they chose too. It could be that most of them don't know of any alternative except for Macs. So your numbers don't mean as much as you think.

IMO, you're mistaken here.

Normal user doesn't know what operating system is. They don't know what OS they use and they don't care. People don't have to "know" about alternatives, but they should be able to find them if they need something different. If a user is happy with his machine, there's no need to change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
How do you think they'll find out about Linux?
Google search/question on a forum, duh.
 
  


Reply

Tags
64bit, cloud, linux, microsoft, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Tutorial: Four Easy Fun Useful Things You Can Do With Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-30-2008 11:41 PM
LXer: KDE 4: The Shiny New Linux (and Windows) Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-17-2007 06:10 PM
media server or other fun things. doralsoral Linux - Software 1 11-05-2005 07:55 AM
most fun & excited things about Linux woranl Linux - General 2 07-27-2004 08:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration