LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #346
cmas1148
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Ringgold GA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE, Damn Small Linux, Fedora 14
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 2

I LOVE WINDO (Not Responding)

*long pause*
*Excessive pressing of X button*
*Ctrl-Atl-Deletes and quits iexplorer.exe process*
*curses at self for not finishing message*
*shuts down Windows*
*boots Linux*

I hate Windows, your performance can be degraded so easily, on Linux it is smooth sailing for no matter how much you install on it.

And Windows new slogan is 'Life without walls' right? You need walls to have windows don't you? Think about it...
 
Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #347
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
I always thought that was a dumb slogan/motto for 'Windows'.
 
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 AM   #348
cmas1148
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Ringgold GA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE, Damn Small Linux, Fedora 14
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
I always thought that was a dumb slogan/motto for 'Windows'.
I guess Bill Gates didn't think of that living in a glass house, where your walls double as windows.
 
Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #349
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmas1148
(Not Responding)

*long pause*
*Excessive pressing of X button*
*Ctrl-Atl-Deletes and quits iexplorer.exe process*
*curses at self for not finishing message*
*shuts down Windows*
*boots Linux*
My mom sometimes has this happen on her laptop (running Windows 7 Home Premium), minus the last two steps.

I don't bother with trying to get people to switch to Linux; if they don't care, so be it.
 
Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #350
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmas1148 View Post
And Windows new slogan is 'Life without walls' right? You need walls to have windows don't you? Think about it...
"In a life without walls or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
 
Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #351
cmas1148
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Ringgold GA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE, Damn Small Linux, Fedora 14
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
"In a life without walls or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
You are my new hero.
 
Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #352
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmas1148 View Post
You are my new hero.
I didn't invent that, I heard it somewhere. I don't know who said it first.
 
Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #353
cmas1148
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Ringgold GA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE, Damn Small Linux, Fedora 14
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
I didn't invent that, I heard it somewhere. I don't know who said it first.
Ohh.

Heck I would have just rolled with it. Haha.

So what do you guys think about M$ support on later OSes? Particularyy XP because it still OWNS the buisness end of things. M$ recently dropped support for XP SP2 and Vista w/ no SP.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #354
soppy
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: In your head!
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 165
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 28
Honestly I agree with them. There are a lot of fixes in the Service Packs and I think everyone should up date. You should take advantadge of support while you can because very soon Vista and XP will become obsolete and Microsoft won't care about you. If people gave 7 a shot, I think it could replace XP on the business front.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #355
cmas1148
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Ringgold GA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE, Damn Small Linux, Fedora 14
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soppy View Post
Honestly I agree with them. There are a lot of fixes in the Service Packs and I think everyone should up date. You should take advantadge of support while you can because very soon Vista and XP will become obsolete and Microsoft won't care about you. If people gave 7 a shot, I think it could replace XP on the business front.
Ohh of course Windows 7 could replace XP, but switching is a painful process and takes time, Ubuntu or Fedora could also replace Windows altogether, these OSes also have the best price tag.
 
Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #356
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 391
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by soppy View Post
Honestly I agree with them. There are a lot of fixes in the Service Packs and I think everyone should up date. You should take advantadge of support while you can because very soon Vista and XP will become obsolete and Microsoft won't care about you. If people gave 7 a shot, I think it could replace XP on the business front.
Planned obsolescence which forces one to pay a lot of money for something which essentially does nothing that the old OS couldn't do....but uses a crap-load more resources to do..... What I don't understand, is why people keep falling for this, when there are not only alternatives....but FREE alternatives.
 
Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #357
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
new oses come for making use of new hardware. then why shouldn't we stick to fedora core1 and ubntu /1/04/
 
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #358
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
Planned obsolescence which forces one to pay a lot of money for something which essentially does nothing that the old OS couldn't do....but uses a crap-load more resources to do..... What I don't understand, is why people keep falling for this, when there are not only alternatives....but FREE alternatives.
Couldn't agree more. Microsoft just doesn't know the difference between a good and a service and is trying to push upgrades every 1.5 or so years as a way to try and turn a PC into some service done for a fee instead of a good which it really is. The disclaimer is that Microsoft through the OS is trying to make you pay rent on your PC instead of own it. The "rent" is the cost of the OS + planned obsolescence, and the lease contract is the EULA. By using Linux, you make sure you own your computer instead of "renting" it from Microsoft.

The problem, however, is that very few people even know that alternatives exist. I do know a few in my area (like one of my good friends from school), but the majority of those don't care. However, those that do actually listen to me. It's them that are my closest friends and really know that what they use pleases me. It also pleases them too just as much to know that Microsoft isn't the dictator in their lives. It's a real shame that so many more people don't really care that Microsoft is ruining their lives and watching their every move without them knowing it. Not even my teacher cares. Not even my classmates. None except for a privileged few actually give a rat's *** about what's on their computers, even if it is the very thing that's causing their problems!

Disclaimer:
  • Many users are familiar with Windows, and it's that familiarity that's silently killing them.
  • There are alternatives, but many users are blind to them because Microsoft is making them that way.
  • Even those that I try to tell about Linux are rude, arrogant, and ignorant about it
  • When I mention the words "proprietary software" people say "Huh?" when at the same time they use it all the time without knowing it.
  • People are also full of fear. They are so fearful of their computers thinking that, because of viruses and other things out there, anything changed on their computers must have been "hacked" into there when in reality viruses have nothing to do with their computer but have everything to do with the operating system. That operating system is Windows.

Bottom line:

If you don't care, that's your loss. Just because an OS might be familiar to you does not make it better. It ultimately comes down to this: If you don't trust your data to any outside sources, and don't trust it to hackers, don't trust Microsoft. In the end, all the malware (viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, etc.) is written for Windows and all the totalitarianism regarding what you can and can't do with your computer is backed by Microsoft.

Last edited by Kenny_Strawn; 01-17-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Typo
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #359
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,362

Rep: Reputation: 171Reputation: 171
Quote:
new oses come for making use of new hardware. then why shouldn't we stick to fedora core1
Because Fedora is a developement distro and it only supports each version for thirteen months(after release of FC6?). This means that after that thirteen months there are no updates of any kind. So FC1 has not had an update in a long time(2006?), which leaves the system with known security holes and no (easy) way to patch the system. Because rpm based systems are so tightly integrated if you try to patch just one part you often destabilize the entire install. You wind up having to build and install multiple updates at the same time, which is a royal PITA. It is much easier to either keep up with the update schedule(reinstall every thirteen months) or switch to a long term supported distro. For Fedora users Centos is the general path as it is RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) with the logos stripped out. As RHEL is based on Fedora(or Fedora is the development branch) it is a natural transition (RHEL/Centos5 was based on FC6). RHEL/Centos has a five year plus support life.

Edit: Not quite sure why it posted the whole thing twice.

---------- Post added 01-17-11 at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote:
new oses come for making use of new hardware. then why shouldn't we stick to fedora core1
Because Fedora is a developement distro and it only supports each version for thirteen months(after release of FC6?). This means that after that thirteen months there are no updates of any kind. So FC1 has not had an update in a long time(2006?), which leaves the system with known security holes and no (easy) way to patch the system. Because rpm based systems are so tightly integrated if you try to patch just one part you often destabilize the entire install. You wind up having to build and install multiple updates at the same time, which is a royal PITA. It is much easier to either keep up with the update schedule(reinstall every thirteen months) or switch to a long term supported distro. For Fedora users Centos is the general path as it is RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) with the logos stripped out. As RHEL is based on Fedora(or Fedora is the development branch) it is a natural transition (RHEL/Centos5 was based on FC6). RHEL/Centos has a five year plus support life.

Last edited by lazlow; 01-17-2011 at 04:44 PM.
 
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #360
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
Yup, I'll agree and to prove your point I'll say it twice!
Yup, I'll agree and to prove your point I'll say it twice!
 
  


Reply

Tags
64bit, cloud, linux, microsoft, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Tutorial: Four Easy Fun Useful Things You Can Do With Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-30-2008 11:41 PM
LXer: KDE 4: The Shiny New Linux (and Windows) Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-17-2007 06:10 PM
media server or other fun things. doralsoral Linux - Software 1 11-05-2005 07:55 AM
most fun & excited things about Linux woranl Linux - General 2 07-27-2004 08:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration