LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #181
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
I think it isn't really freedom if it's enforced on you.
What do you mean?
 
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #182
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
What do you mean?
I don't think it's right to force a program to be open-source just because it's similar to an existing open-source program?

Last edited by MTK358; 12-13-2010 at 12:07 PM.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #183
Zetec
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, W7, openSUSE, Centos
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvista View Post
Seven is great.but soon or later Micro$$$oft is gonna be terminated.it's just a matter of time.
You do realise that MS employ 100,000's thousands of people directly and in directly (probably a lot more than this) and them being "terminated" is not going to be good for software development, applications, operating systems or economies around the world.

I know this is a Linux forum but some people really need to appreciate the success and operations of other companies, including MS, Apple etc.

For the record, I do hope that one day MS have less hold on the overall market place and allow other companies to start earning money to put more back into development. This is happening slowly.

Last edited by Zetec; 12-13-2010 at 09:30 AM.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #184
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
I like supporting FOSS for a different reason, because I like it. Plain and simple. I like the way it looks, I like the way it works, I like the way its super customizable, I like not having to pay out my nose for something and I like that I can try all sorts of distros and give them to my friends (If I had friends to give it too, lol).

But ideologically, I see no problem with Microsoft or Apple. I even like Steve Ballmer, having watched more videos of him on YouTube (the first one I saw of him was the crazy dancing one). (Does this make me a **M$ TROLL!** ?)
If you love FOSS and test many distros as you say, why haven't I seen you with any icon of any linux distro? It's always Mac and once in a blue moon window$.

Second, you liking window$ is one thing, but Steve Ballmer! Why?

This guy spews hate of linux and opensource. In fact, he hates anything that conflicts with Micro$oft's interests.

Last edited by dv502; 12-13-2010 at 12:06 PM.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #185
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
I think leopard once said he wanted to sell his MacBook and buy a Dell laptop to get back to Linux, doesn't look like that's happening.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #186
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,564
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024Reputation: 1024
Quote:
This guy spews hate of linux and opensource. In fact, he hates anything that conflicts with Micro$oft's interests.
Some guys here spew hate of Microsoft and windows. In fact, they hate anything that conflicts with FOSS/Linux's interests.


In both cases, hatred is never a solution to anything. Constructive actions have always made progress possible
 
Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #187
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
Well...I guess Steve Ballmer and I are zealous bastards then...

Last edited by dv502; 12-13-2010 at 01:13 PM.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #188
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
I think leopard once said he wanted to sell his MacBook and buy a Dell laptop to get back to Linux, doesn't look like that's happening.
He can still run linux on his Mac book via a virtual machine instead of a direct install.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #189
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Still, I thought you can install Linux on a Mac, and I even think leopard mentioned that when he bought it.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #190
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
i know.
i like Linux a lot because it can be ran in live media ( CD )
i like Windows a lot because it doesn't screw up that easy after updates.

i don't like that Linux makes me scared every time i update
i don't like Windows because it can't be ran in live media
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #191
lupusarcanus
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 146Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
I think leopard once said he wanted to sell his MacBook and buy a Dell laptop to get back to Linux, doesn't look like that's happening.
It was a ThinkPad, and I still want to do this.

Lenovo's design is better than Apple's and more Linux friendly too.

My CD/DVD drive broke, and I have no USB sticks to install Linux with. You can't boot with a non-GUID/HFS+ SD card stick, and Linux is a PITA (but very possible) to install on this thing.

But I don't think Apple is a rip-off. I think they are a good company, but the Macintosh doesn't meet my needs.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #192
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
i don't like that Linux makes me scared every time i update
What's scary about Linux updates?
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #193
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
What's scary about Linux updates?
they screw up my grubs and i always need to get to the live cd and install grub.
why doesn't it ubuntu 10.04 just let me have grub 1 if i want ... it's easier to install and it fits better for me

i mean , it screwed it up for me once , i was having grubs2 and then i installed grub1 and then the next update it was completely screwed showing me a flashing line in the left up corner of the screen

if somebody would just tell me a easy way to install grub2 ... maybe it wouldnt be that bad ... thats why i was saying that live cds are awesome


PS : i like to have a working system ,, i don't have the time to go to the CLI every time i update ..
PS2 : that's why i use ubuntu .. if i wanted to mess with my pc i would havew chosen arch or gentoo ... like you do guys ...
i don't use mint because after i suspend my laptop i get no sound when waking it up ..
do u recommend me staying to download mandriva ? is it really the distribution that dont get you to the cli

Last edited by silvyus_06; 12-13-2010 at 05:06 PM.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #194
dv502
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: USA - NYC
Distribution: Whatever icon you see!
Posts: 642

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
It was a ThinkPad, and I still want to do this.

Lenovo's design is better than Apple's and more Linux friendly too.

My CD/DVD drive broke, and I have no USB sticks to install Linux with. You can't boot with a non-GUID/HFS+ SD card stick, and Linux is a PITA (but very possible) to install on this thing.

But I don't think Apple is a rip-off. I think they are a good company, but the Macintosh doesn't meet my needs.
Even though you answer my question to MTK358, I am satisfy with the answer.

My question was out of curiosity. I was curious on your statement that you tried many distros.

I was curious for an answer because I never saw a linux or distro icon on your side panal.

- Cheers

Last edited by dv502; 12-13-2010 at 05:10 PM.
 
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #195
soppy
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: In your head!
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 165
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
they screw up my grubs and i always need to get to the live cd and install grub.
why doesn't it ubuntu 10.04 just let me have grub 1 if i want ... it's easier to install and it fits better for me

i mean , it screwed it up for me once , i was having grubs2 and then i installed grub1 and then the next update it was completely screwed showing me a flashing line in the left up corner of the screen

if somebody would just tell me a easy way to install grub2 ... maybe it wouldnt be that bad ... thats why i was saying that live cds are awesome


PS : i like to have a working system ,, i don't have the time to go to the CLI every time i update ..
PS2 : that's why i use ubuntu .. if i wanted to mess with my pc i would havew chosen arch or gentoo ... like you do guys ...
i don't use mint because after i suspend my laptop i get no sound when waking it up ..
do u recommend me staying to download mandriva ? is it really the distribution that dont get you to the cli
If you like Grub Legacy instead of Grub2, you can just black-list it for apt-get and it won't overwrite your current grub loader. Honestly, Mandriva is nice, but if you want something like that use PCLinuxOS or one of the *buntus (my personal opinion). But wrong place to ask this.

Back to your statement, I hate when Windows Updates. I really don't know what it is deciding to install and half of the time the update fails to continue after it installs, asks me to reboot and goes to "Stage 3 of configuring". So it then takes 20 more minutes to reload the Windows Backup and then finally I'm back at my desktop. But oh wait!!! New updates are available!! Let's try again!!! :/ Nope... I've only had Linux screw me over once on updates (Fedora 8 to 9) but that's because Fedora 9 sucked anyways. I've never (even now when I run Arch-Testing), have I had my computer crash due to a bad update. Can't say the same about Windows. :/
 
  


Reply

Tags
64bit, cloud, linux, microsoft, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Tutorial: Four Easy Fun Useful Things You Can Do With Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-30-2008 11:41 PM
LXer: KDE 4: The Shiny New Linux (and Windows) Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-17-2007 06:10 PM
media server or other fun things. doralsoral Linux - Software 1 11-05-2005 07:55 AM
most fun & excited things about Linux woranl Linux - General 2 07-27-2004 08:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration