LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Distribution: Distro-homeless. Lost.
Posts: 1,892

Rep: Reputation: 62
an interesting ad I saw


On at least two websites I visit regularly, I saw an ad claiming that most of the Japanese are now using some kind of technology (not named, in order to make one click on the ad) that Bill Gates is nervous about. Do you suppose that would be Linux?
 
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Hmm, Japanese technology that would make Bill Gate$ nervous ... robot android clones of Steve Ballmer running Window$ Me ?
 
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
carbonfiber
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Sparta
Posts: 237

Rep: Reputation: 46
Do you suppose you could simply click on the ad, find out, and call it a day?
 
Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,140
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Gay sumo-wrestling robots.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesforever View Post
On at least two websites I visit regularly, I saw an ad claiming that most of the Japanese are now using some kind of technology (not named, in order to make one click on the ad) that Bill Gates is nervous about. Do you suppose that would be Linux?
First, Bill Gates has his money in the bank---he is not dependent on the future of Microsoft.

Second, a company like MS has LOTS to be worried about---Linux is only a small part.

If you don't want to click the link, then at least tell us where to find it....
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Distribution: Distro-homeless. Lost.
Posts: 1,892

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
First, Bill Gates has his money in the bank---he is not dependent on the future of Microsoft.

Second, a company like MS has LOTS to be worried about---Linux is only a small part.

If you don't want to click the link, then at least tell us where to find it....
I'll post it as soon as I remember where it was. It was an ad about investing in something, I think, and my curiosity wasn't strong enough to make me jump through its hoops.
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Moved: This thread is more suitable in General and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesforever View Post
I'll post it as soon as I remember where it was. It was an ad about investing in something, I think, and my curiosity wasn't strong enough to make me jump through its hoops.
I've seen that ad a few times myself, but I can't seem to find it, now. I think it's been pulled. It may have even been malware... no web-facing site is completely safe.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Distribution: Distro-homeless. Lost.
Posts: 1,892

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 62
I finally saw an ad that, if not the same ad as the above, was probably about the same thing. After jumping through a lot of damned hoops at Motley Fool magazine, I found out that the ads refer to cloud computing.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Alexvader
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 994

Rep: Reputation: 94
Hi

Swarms of virtual intelligent agents that crawl across the web to wipe out the NTLDR in any machine they can get to...?

A new Hypersonic Stealth Bomber made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, loaded with EMP ( electronic warfare devices ) warheads, relentlessly heading to Redmond Washington DC, with the mission of disrupting all HW which supports M$ operation ( no good... Lots of collateral damage to innocent ppl out there, which have nothing to do with Wild Evil Billy Boy... definitely out of question )

A timed and sychronized DDoS to be launched simultaneously in a global scale to all servers using M$ technology using known exploits in W$ Server...?


Anybody gives me more ideas...?
 
Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Distribution: Distro-homeless. Lost.
Posts: 1,892

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvader View Post
Hi

Swarms of virtual intelligent agents that crawl across the web to wipe out the NTLDR in any machine they can get to...?

A new Hypersonic Stealth Bomber made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, loaded with EMP ( electronic warfare devices ) warheads, relentlessly heading to Redmond Washington DC, with the mission of disrupting all HW which supports M$ operation ( no good... Lots of collateral damage to innocent ppl out there, which have nothing to do with Wild Evil Billy Boy... definitely out of question )

A timed and sychronized DDoS to be launched simultaneously in a global scale to all servers using M$ technology using known exploits in W$ Server...?


Anybody gives me more ideas...?
The authorities say I can visit you on Saturday afternoons.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Alexvader
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 994

Rep: Reputation: 94
Yep...?

And which authorities are these...?

My authorities say nothing about visiting you

Last edited by Alexvader; 03-10-2010 at 03:59 PM.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Distribution: Distro-homeless. Lost.
Posts: 1,892

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 62
That's probably because they don't let you out, for your safety and everyone else's. And the authorities I had in mind, after reading your post, were New Bedlam Mental Hospital.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Alexvader
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 994

Rep: Reputation: 94
Ohhh I see... LMFAO

OP@hostname# installpkg sense_of_humor.tgz sense_of_context.tgz

Ahh, do not forget to set up dependencies first :

OP@hostname installpkg relativization_of_concepts.tgz ...


BTW do they use Slackware in New Bedlam ?

Last edited by Alexvader; 03-10-2010 at 04:25 PM.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 3,919

Rep: Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
First, Bill Gates has his money in the bank---he is not dependent on the future of Microsoft.
Ah, yes, but maybe the way pseudo-monopolies work, he has just found out that, for keeping his hard-won, but somehow ill-gotten, gains safe, he only has a choice of banks that use Microsoft software. And, for some reason, he spent the rest of the morning in close proximity to a toilet.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Interesting new Ubuntu-derived, OS X-inspired distro, interesting revenue (yes, LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-01-2009 09:51 AM
very interesting... kessler961 General 9 04-27-2008 05:15 AM
Very Interesting Here! Ingeborga LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories 1 01-29-2007 07:32 PM
This is interesting...... radix Slackware 4 09-05-2003 09:58 PM
I think it maybe interesting :) nautilus_1987 General 7 09-29-2002 01:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration