LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/)
-   -   An eye strain problem. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/an-eye-strain-problem-4175437044/)

stf92 11-14-2012 02:24 AM

An eye strain problem.
 
Hi:

I'm writing /etc/lilo.conf in a terminal (/dev/tty1) running under VESA BIOS. Any command to switch on the fly to normal video?

druuna 11-14-2012 04:57 AM

Assuming you use Slackware with lilo, have a look here:

- VGA framebuffer, lilo.conf, and Slackware64 13.37
- Slackware Install Script (the # setup.liloconfig part)

In short: change this line in your lilo.conf file: vga=xyz to an entry you like.

I'm not aware that this can be done on-the-fly.

stf92 11-14-2012 05:05 AM

You see. I always put 'vga = normal' in lilo.conf, with the result I wanted: an 80 x 25 characters screen. With slackware 14.0 I'm doing the same, but at a certain point during boot, the screen switches to high resolution. It's a cul de sac, because I see almost anything that is written on the screen and its my first experience with 14.0.

druuna 11-14-2012 05:26 AM

Instead of using vga=normal, try the following:
Code:

vga=normal video=vesafb:off

druuna 11-14-2012 05:40 AM

Thread seems to be continued here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nd-4175437057/

TobiSGD 11-14-2012 05:41 AM

With drivers that implement kernel mode setting the vga= option is deprecated. Try video=1024x768@60 with exchanging the resolution and refresh rate with your preffered settings, of course.

stf92 11-14-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4829029)
With drivers that implement kernel mode setting the vga= option is deprecated. Try video=1024x768@60 with exchanging the resolution and refresh rate with your preffered settings, of course.

Quite a pity. 'video=' gets 'Unrecognized token' when running lilo. Perhaps as an argument at the boot prompt? How do I get a list of all these arguments?

stf92 11-14-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druuna (Post 4829020)
Instead of using vga=normal, try the following:
Code:

vga=normal video=vesafb:off

I get 'unrecognized token 'video'' when running lilo. I'll continue reading the links. Thanks.

stf92 11-14-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druuna (Post 4829004)
Assuming you use Slackware with lilo, have a look here:

- VGA framebuffer, lilo.conf, and Slackware64 13.37
- Slackware Install Script (the # setup.liloconfig part)

In short: change this line in your lilo.conf file: vga=xyz to an entry you like.

I'm not aware that this can be done on-the-fly.

The first link I think will provide the solution to my problem, with it's reference to CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT that I should have read before posting. Slack recommends
append="video=mxn" for some m, n and still use
vga=[normal|extended]

Now I have another question ... Humm, I'll open another thread because, although related, the subject is quite another thing.

stf92 11-16-2012 07:07 AM

The problem:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf92 (Post 4829009)
You see. I always put 'vga = normal' in lilo.conf, with the result I wanted: an 80 x 25 characters screen. With slackware 14.0 I'm doing the same, but at a certain point during boot, the screen switches to high resolution. It's a cul de sac, because I see almost anything that is written on the screen and its my first experience with 14.0.

The solution:

Following CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT for Slackware 14.0, I inserted the line 'append=nomodeset' in lilo.conf, together with 'vga=normal' (not strictly necessary but recommended by them). As a side-effect it will be impossible to run X. This depending on the GPU you have. But I was lucky with my GPU.

The great change responsible for the switch to VESA in the middle of boot is the jump made by the kernel developers, to Kernel Mode Setting for graphics cards. What it means I do not know well, but I know the remedy (yes, it's a decease).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.