Fedora - InstallationThis forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Fedora.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm running FC5-64 on an Athlon 3800+ dual core with an Asus MB and two Seagate SATA drives. In the past everything has run really smoothly but about a month ago I started having problems updating packages with yum and yumex. Numerous red error messages about download packages being incompatible with what was on the machine. It got so bad that if broke things to the point where I could no longer print, use samba, or even boot up. It seems like the only thing that I can update from the command line with yum is the kernel.
The only repository that I added was livna.org. and I'm not doing anything exotic.
After doing 3 complete re-installs, I thought that I would have it install everything but the servers in case things had changed and I was missing something. I then did a total update in case it was somehow not picking up all of the dependencies. No good. Got the initial splash screen and then under details saw messages for cups, samba, and NMB like "error while locating shared libraries LIBPAM 2.0..."
Did another complete install but in very carefully choosing what I would try to update, I'm back to getting a lot of red error messages under both yumex and yum. I have to think that the initial installation is ok, but something has gone wrong with the updating process.
I'm stumped considering how well things were running before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Distribution: RHEL/CentOS/SL 5 i386 and x86_64 pata for IDE in use
Yum is not a good tool (at times) resolving dependency issues in a mixed mode environment (both 32-bit and 64-bit applications installed). You may find if you decrease the number updates yum (and yumex) work better. In other words try updating a small number (or even one at a time) of the application updates.
In some cases I have found that it better to just download the 64-bit updates (via yum) then by hand download the needed 32-bit updates into the same location as the 64-bit versions. I then install them all at once by typing something like;
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
Hint: got to keep the location fairly clean of older already installed packages.